Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Off-roading in Disney's Frontierland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rotor posted:

idk i mean i guess i dont mean like actual forgiveness but just like write it off as a loss

they're not gonna do that. if he can't pay the loan back they'll just seize his poo poo

anyone who has the money to bail Musk out probably has the money to buy up whichever pieces of Musk's empire they'd like to run themselves. he's entirely disposable and replaceable. he brings no special skills here besides being dumb enough and gullible enough to throw away fifty billion dollars on buying Twitter. if he runs out of money, he's useless to them, and they'll just wait for him to sell off all his businesses at firesale prices and buy whatever they like

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Who could have foreseen this

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
fuckin lmao

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

"Off road" just means off pavement. Of course there are degrees of bad-road-ness, but hardly anyone is driving cross-country over field and stream. For one, that's against the rules pretty much everywhere. And two, you would need a bulldozer or tractor to do it, in most places. Even those huge lifted Jeeps aren't driving through virgin forest.

That said, those are very easy dirt roads.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ryanrs posted:

"Off road" just means off pavement.

nobody i know of talks about or thinks of driving on a dirt road as "offroading"

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

ryanrs posted:

"Off road" just means off pavement. Of course there are degrees of bad-road-ness, but hardly anyone is driving cross-country over field and stream. For one, that's against the rules pretty much everywhere. And two, you would need a bulldozer or tractor to do it, in most places. Even those huge lifted Jeeps aren't driving through virgin forest.

That said, those are very easy dirt roads.

lol that looks like the road to my parents' house

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

those sv bros going "waoow" "yeah that steer by wire" "OH yeah" was adorable

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ngl, off-roading kinda annoys me

yes, take you personal vehicle and slowly trundle through a trail, destroying the trail and polluting the area in the process.

sorry if anyone is an off-roader i’m just a hater

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i dont do it for fun or w/e. but its nice to have a capable vehicle in case u need to. in my situation its just a freebie that comes with having a vehicle that can get through snow.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Eeyo posted:

ngl, off-roading kinda annoys me

same

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah i dont do it for fun or w/e. but its nice to have a capable vehicle in case u need to. in my situation its just a freebie that comes with having a vehicle that can get through snow.

a friend drove a v6 mustang at michigan tech all year round, including on unplowed seasonal roads

skill issue

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i was talking about my miata but go off

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

off-roading just to off-road is dumb. doing it as a means to get to a place to, say, go fishing or hiking, is usually pretty alright, as long as you're not being a dick about it.

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

Megabound posted:

Who could have foreseen this

Holy poo poo they used soap to slide the cover on lol. There's no way someone didn't notice the potential issue there

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i love that their solution is an incredibly lovely looking rivet that will probably just make the thing spin around endlessly until someone snaps it off in frustration when it inevitably pops off again (possibly due to all of the rough and tumble rugged off-roading they'll be able to do without the pesky pedal problem)

its also very funny that they put that thing there purely for aesthetics and the rivet makes it look like poo poo lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gubbinal Girl posted:

Holy poo poo they used soap to slide the cover on lol. There's no way someone didn't notice the potential issue there

itll be fine, soap evaporates

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, I did some hikes up in the UP a while ago in a rental car and holy poo poo I was glad I wasn't in my actual car (2016 Scion iA). It barely handles onroading well 😬

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Elder Postsman posted:

off-roading just to off-road is dumb. doing it as a means to get to a place to, say, go fishing or hiking, is usually pretty alright, as long as you're not being a dick about it.

i hiked 8 miles in utah to a slot canyon

seeing the dudes in jeeps cruising by and enjoying a cooler of frosty beverages at the canyon entrance made a compelling case for offroading at the time

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

yeah I'm not saying that someone is trying to give Elon billions, just that if they were there are easier ways to do it than arbitrarily pumping the stock price.

my knowledge on equities as collateral is pretty low and kind of stops at "it's a bad idea lol", but you take a huge haircut to account for the volatility so pledging idk 1 million of stock might get you 500-750k or something.

don't know how it works for a loan but it could be some of that collateral getting liquidated which drops the price a bit, then it gets bought up by whoever because the collateral/loan amount is actually very small compared to the total "market value" of all the shares out there.

the one think you absolutely do not want to do as the collateral holder is to liquidate it all in one go and crash the price like happened with archegos. unless you know you have zero other exposure in which case dump. That. poo poo.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

yeah I'm not saying that someone is trying to give Elon billions, just that if they were there are easier ways to do it than arbitrarily pumping the stock price.

my knowledge on equities as collateral is pretty low and kind of stops at "it's a bad idea lol", but you take a huge haircut to account for the volatility so pledging idk 1 million of stock might get you 500-750k or something.

don't know how it works for a loan but it could be some of that collateral getting liquidated which drops the price a bit, then it gets bought up by whoever because the collateral/loan amount is actually very small compared to the total "market value" of all the shares out there.

the one think you absolutely do not want to do as the collateral holder is to liquidate it all in one go and crash the price like happened with archegos. unless you know you have zero other exposure in which case dump. That. poo poo.

!!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

like happened with archegos.

Archego Face

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
:allears:

https://x.com/teslaownersSV/status/1780316035918463353

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
> remove elon

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

theyre all pointing at me and laughing along with me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

EVGA Longoria posted:

either i get where i'm going or it doesn't matter if i get where i'm going, sounds like a win/win imo

like, i'm not saying everyone enjoys driving, i don't myself often

but when there's not a lot of traffic, lots of twisty roads, maybe some hills (either direction is fun)? maybe in a pretty area, with a quick car that has great handling? hell yes, sign me up

and that is probably kind of fun even in tesla's sedan models (if you turn off all of the garbage or i guess just have an early model, idk. substitute any suitable ev here i guess), or at least it probably would be to me, i realize it's not for everyone

but generally, people that like driving like cars and vice versa. it's just weird to me to be a Car Person but not like driving, idk

maybe this is a better analogy for yospos: it'd be like being a Cat Person that hates having a cat sit on you

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 19, 2024

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd wager most tesla enthusiasts aren't Car People per se, they're more like gadget nerds who just bought the most expensive possible gadget

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

I'd wager most tesla enthusiasts aren't Car People per se, they're more like gadget nerds who just bought the most expensive possible gadget

but there's other, better cars with better tech available now. they love the car, making them car people, i think

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lmao, bizarrely plausible

e: hey wait a second, no apple ii program would run in dosbox :mad:

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 19, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

genuinely surprised there aren't more people pointing and laughing

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

https://electrek.co/2024/04/19/tesla-biggest-retail-shareholder-voting-against-elon-musk-55-billion-package/ posted:

Tesla’s biggest retail shareholder, Leo Koguan, confirmed that he is voting against Elon Musk’s $55 billion package and the re-election of two board members.

We first reported on Koguan in 2021 when the little-known investor became the third largest individual shareholder in Tesla behind Elon Musk and Larry Ellison.

[…]

Koguan hasn’t sold. In fact, he recently bought more shares – bringing his total to over 27 million shares. This makes him an important player in the upcoming shareholders votes that Tesla’s board announced this week.

[…]

As the biggest retail shareholder in Tesla, Koguan says that he has been unable to get in touch with the board to communicate his concerns.

lol, guy who owns ~0.8% of TSLA is voting down the pay package

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

genuinely surprised there aren't more people pointing and laughing

thats the power of the editor

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

lol, guy who owns ~0.8% of TSLA is voting down the pay package

watch them hold the poll on twitter

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

at what point do you stop being a retail investor? if the guy owns 0.8% of tesla that’s like 3.7 bil, which is easily how much an institution would hold.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i'd guess that means he uses a brokerage but idk, i would think most investors would too lol

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Eeyo posted:

at what point do you stop being a retail investor? if the guy owns 0.8% of tesla that’s like 3.7 bil, which is easily how much an institution would hold.

yeah according to the article if you were an institution 27M shares of TSLA would put you between T. Rowe Price and JP Morgan Chase

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Beeftweeter posted:

but there's other, better cars with better tech available now. they love the car, making them car people, i think

idk, i feel like they're not car people if the only car they love is tesla

kinda like you're not a rap lover if the only rapper you listen to is macklemore

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao, bizarrely plausible

e: hey wait a second, no apple ii program would run in dosbox :mad:

https://github.com/zajo/appler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

why would you use this under dosbox instead of just using some apple ii emulator directly?

there's one built into my screensaver