Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jonny 290 posted:

more smart white babies -> free unlimited energy -> we all live in floating air conditioned domes in the sky. Simple as

is it the one where people wear white pajamas or where they wear business suits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Roosevelt posted:

gently caress you elon. rear end in a top hat. go burn in a car fire.

"It's racist not to think about the white people in Africa, they own the country too" - a white man from Africa

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

love how many "longtermists" seem to think that climate change is no biggie because it 'probably' won't make humanity extinct

yeah and musk just changes topic to mars whenever it's mentioned because he's a chode

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

FAUXTON posted:

is it the one where people wear white pajamas or where they wear business suits

hopefully the one where they wear Nike Air Decades

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Eeyo posted:

i’m glad the effective altruist movement is being disgraced often these days.

sbf is a hero for championing it so hard, doing exactly what effective altruists say they’ll do, then blowing up his company and going to jail for 25 years while publicly being owned for being an effective altruist

absolutely a legend to disgrace the movement like that.

This working for the greater good by discrediting effective altruism ironically is effective altruism.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Elon wants his cars to do distributed computing when they’re not running now.

https://www.theverge.com/24139142/elon-musk-tesla-aws-distributed-compute-network-ai

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i'm sure that will be real useful with like 200 kbps throughput

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lmao apparently this was the reason the stock was up (its best day in 860 days)

quote:

The stock closed up 12.1%, at $162.13, while the S&P 500 was flat and the Nasdaq Composite added 0.2%. Shares traded as high as $167.97, up almost 16%, which would have been the best gain since March 9, 2021, when shares rose 19.6%. The 12.1% gain was the best day for shares since a 13.5% jump on Jan. 3, 2022.

Tesla’s move to change its product lineup, however, was a bigger reason the stock jumped, clawing back some of the 42% year to date loss. The company said it is accelerating the “launch of new models ahead of our previously communicated start of production in the second half of 2025.”

Translation? The long-awaited and lower-priced Tesla, typically called the Model 2, is coming sooner than expected. And, importantly, the vehicle will be the company’s most urgent priority.

“The quarter was a disaster, but that was well known,” says Wedbush analyst Dan Ives. “The big [takeaway] is that Tesla is not focused solely on autonomy/robotaxis and [is] accelerating the lower-cost Model 2 vehicle…finally, a smart strategic plan Street wants to see.”

The strategic shift will “mollify investors,” wrote Bernstein analyst Toni Sacconaghi in a Wednesday report, adding “Can Tesla really deliver significant new models in less than one year?”

well i am pretty sure tesla did not in fact say that they were accelerating the development of "model 2", but there it is nonetheless

the answer to that question is "no", obviously, and whatever ends up coming out in 2031 is going to be a huge pile of poo poo

e: oh forgot the source, it's barron's so paywalled (apple news: https://apple.news/A-6jP-wukRK-S3K_E8fFfPA)

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 25, 2024

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah how many years did cybertruck take? and that was literally all they were working on

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-shareholder-seeks-block-musk-litigating-pay-outside-delaware-2024-04-24/

quote:

WILMINGTON, Delaware, April 24 (Reuters) - A Tesla investor who successfully sued to void CEO Elon Musk's $56 billion pay package asked a Delaware judge on Wednesday to prevent the electric carmaker from bucking the court's authority by moving its legal home to Texas.

Richard Tornetta's legal team asked Delaware Chancellor Kathaleen McCormick to rule on his request before Tesla's June 13 annual meeting, where shareholders will vote on reincorporating in Texas and approving Musk's 2018 pay package.

"Defendants cannot now seek to run from this jurisdiction and undo years of litigation because they are unhappy with the outcome," said the plaintiff's legal team in a filing.

Tesla has been incorporated in Delaware for 21 years and has required shareholders to bring legal action in that state, the filing said.

[...]

Tornetta's legal team also asked the court on Wednesday to seize the stock options as another measure to prevent Tesla and Musk from avoiding the January ruling.

To try to reinstate the pay package, Tesla has employed an obscure legal maneuver in asking shareholders to "ratify" Musk's 2018 pay. Doing so could keep Musk motivated and potentially give Tesla an argument against the $6 billion in attorneys' fees that Tornetta's lawyers have sought, the company has said.

[...]

:sickos:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A man who complains that he needs 50 billion dollars to be "motivated" enough to do his job can serve society most effectively by being mulched into fertilizer.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Eeyo posted:

yeah how many years did cybertruck take? and that was literally all they were working on

about 5 years from when they showed off the concept, but i wouldn't really call what's on the road "finished"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

A man who complains that he needs 50 billion dollars to be "motivated" enough to do his job can serve society most effectively by being mulched into fertilizer.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sagebrush posted:

ket sematary

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
also love that he re-org'd the Tesla structure so he now has more direct reports lol

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
So much of the tesla valuation is based on its brand image, they are very lucky they have a stable leadership structure and constantly release quality products or they might have some real problems!!!

Alt; the more I read about this Elon Musk guy...the more I don't care for him!!!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

abigserve posted:

stable leadership structure

how many horses does he have to give away

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

the state of his drug-addled body is unfit for fertilizer. maybe as some form of reinforcement for a wall in a cellar though…

FAUXTON posted:

ket sematary

how do you keep doing this

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

FAUXTON posted:

ket sematary

lmao

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

FAUXTON posted:

ket sematary

[img-jesse-pinkman-he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-this]

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

ket sematary

christ, dude

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Beeftweeter posted:

about 5 years from when they showed off the concept, but i wouldn't really call what's on the road "finished"

they're finished alright :fork:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAUXTON posted:

ket sematary

:discourse:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

FAUXTON posted:

ket sematary

lmao

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

remember this?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sagebrush posted:

nobody wants to work anymore :sad:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FAUXTON posted:

ket sematary

also lmao

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Carthag Tuek posted:

nobody wants to work anymore :sad:

:discourse:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Roosevelt posted:

remember this?

He’s still got a month left!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

even if they made a cheap car the cheap part means lower margins and with their dog poo poo interiors and quality control it'll be flat out terrible

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

why don't they just make the whole car out of panel gap

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

wasn't his plan to make the cars more affordable via making the build process so efficient that the factories would need to be in a vacuum because wind resistance would be the limiting factor on build speed?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

dog poo poo interiors and quality control it'll be flat out terrible

but enough about the cybertruckkk

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

wasn't his plan to make the cars more affordable via making the build process so efficient that the factories would need to be in a vacuum because wind resistance would be the limiting factor on build speed?

you know i was all ready to say "obviously that was a joke that an engineer made that got misunderstood, 'we'll be building cars so fast you'll need to worry about air resistance' is the same kind of joke as 'i want my steak so rare it's still mooing'"

but lol no elon seems to actually think that cars should be going through his factories like they're speeding through a school zone

quote:

Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla, Inc.

Yes. Super bullish (35:08). What I find sort of interesting is that our competitors – the car industry thinks they're really good at manufacturing. And actually they are quite good at manufacturing, but they just don't realize just how much potential there is for improvement. It's way more than they think.

I went through this math I think on a prior earnings call, but like it sounds like some of the fastest car factories produce a car maybe every 25 seconds. That sounds fast. But if you think of a 5-meter long car, including gap, and a 4.5 meter car with a half meter gap or something, that's only 0.2 meters per second. Like grandma with a walker can exceed the speed of the fastest production line we're in, so really no that fast. Walking speed is one meter per second, so five times faster than the fastest production line on earth.

Deepak Ahuja - Tesla, Inc.

That's interesting comment.

Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla, Inc.

Why shouldn't it at least be jogging speed? I mean in the limit, companies should start caring about the aero drag in the factory, which that's maybe around 20 miles or 30 miles an hour, or call it 30 kilometers an hour, 40 kilometers an hour. It's like, stuff should be moving at that speed.

The vacuum thing is probably hyperbole but

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Pinterest Mom posted:

you know i was all ready to say "obviously that was a joke that an engineer made that got misunderstood, 'we'll be building cars so fast you'll need to worry about air resistance' is the same kind of joke as 'i want my steak so rare it's still mooing'"

but lol no elon seems to actually think that cars should be going through his factories like they're speeding through a school zone

Hyperbolic boer chamber

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Tesseraction posted:

the cars will slide along the assembly line lubricated by the blood of workers who didnt move out of the way of the robot arms

(because elon removed the warning stickers because he doesnt like the color yellow)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

god he is such an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

what's parallelisation? A miserable little pile of well defined and predictable processes running simultaneously