Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

love to have all my parts misaligned at random because the robot arms are all overshooting their positioning commands due to running faster than they should be, it gives me that real Tesla feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

getting run over by a half finished tesla that got railgunned through the factory wall due to poor calibration

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
You see...er...uh...parallelisation...it's...uh...the thing is...parallelisation is...uh...uh...it's woke.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Chris Knight posted:

also love that he re-org'd the Tesla structure so he now has more direct reports lol

chairman of the boer

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

FAUXTON posted:

ket sematary

hahaha jfc

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Pinterest Mom posted:

some of the fastest car factories produce a car maybe every 25 seconds. That sounds fast. But if you think of a 5-meter long car, including gap, and a 4.5 meter car with a half meter gap or something, that's only 0.2 meters per second.

i'm trying to wrap my head around this and it's just

like all he did was take 5 meters and divide by 25 seconds and somehow that's how fast the assembly line moves? does he think it takes only 25 seconds to make the whole car? does he think the assembly line is only as long as the car? i think i smell burnt toast??

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

you 3d print the car from one end to the other, clearly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
but if the car is moving that fast there will be nobody to yell ethnic slurs at the workers still left in the factory doing menial work

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Elder Postsman posted:

like all he did was take 5 meters and divide by 25 seconds and somehow that's how fast the assembly line moves? does he think it takes only 25 seconds to make the whole car? does he think the assembly line is only as long as the car? i think i smell burnt toast??

does it seem like musk knows how things like 'aggregate' and 'averages' work?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

remember this?

let a billion bots with bios filled with interesting facts flourish

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Elder Postsman posted:

he didn't think anyone would check his math, their eyes glazed over in "wow! vacuum manufacturing, what a time to be alive!"

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

he didn't think anyone would check his math, their eyes glazed over in "wow! vacuum manufacturing, what a time to be alive!"

unfortunately he is largely correct

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

gschmidl posted:

Hyperbolic boer chamber

hyperboeric crime chamber

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

apparently Tesla are the only company who don't use the industry standard SAP for their enterprise resource planning, which is what they use to produce their financials https://www.erpresearch.com/knowledge/which-erp-system-does-tesla-use

they decided to roll their own, which given what's been said about their finance teams over the years, I can presume it's just as reliable as rolling your own crypto or datetime

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

of course musk does erp weird

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

knowing how SAP makes software its not like they can churn out a worse product

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

knowing how SAP makes software its not like they can churn out a worse product

Elon can find a way

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SAP is crappy but it's consistent and gets the job done

we have no knowledge if warp is giving accurate numbers

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
wild erp

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Wyatt ERP is right there

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

SAP is crappy but it works and even if you were to make a better one everyone has so many weird custom hacks into it that migrating off of itwould be a 20 year process

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

it's fine that they don't use sap

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Tesseraction posted:

apparently Tesla are the only company who don't use the industry standard SAP for their enterprise resource planning, which is what they use to produce their financials https://www.erpresearch.com/knowledge/which-erp-system-does-tesla-use

they decided to roll their own, which given what's been said about their finance teams over the years, I can presume it's just as reliable as rolling your own crypto or datetime

the future is trash

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

Wyatt ERP is right there
:cmon:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
bets on PWC's ability to audit this bespoke ERP system

surely they cannot fall like arthur andersen

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I think they were doing some insane poo poo like tracking customer issues in Jira or state of completeness of each car?

it was something clearly deranged

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:mmmhmm:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m more a fan of sosumi

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

refleks posted:

I think they were doing some insane poo poo like tracking customer issues in Jira or state of completeness of each car?

it was something clearly deranged
there was some info about WARP in the whistleblower complaints : https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/10/12/tesla-whistleblowers-filed-complaint-to-sec-in-2021-what-it-said.html

quote:

Tesla documents read by CNBC show that employees had to navigate a maze of directives available in internal systems, such as WARP (a Tesla-built enterprise resource planning system), intranets and group emails, to figure out how to track and classify billing for each repair.

In one internal "Goodwill Guide," Tesla told employees that any "repair/replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials/workmanship of any parts manufactured/supplied by Tesla" should be covered by and categorized as "Warranty/Extended Warranty pay type (post-delivery)." That would apply to any customer's car that was still under a warranty, while out-of-warranty cars would require a customer to pay for repairs.

For a specific issue — "blistering" headrests in car seats manufactured by Tesla — the company gave employees different directions about how to bill customers for service to replace the part. One internal Tesla document seen by CNBC said the blistering headrest "is not a defect, and therefore not covered under warranty" and that repairs should be offered as goodwill. Confusingly, that document linked to another page in the company intranet saying customers should have to pay to get their headrests fixed.

Tesla also treated replacement of defective tail lamps as "customer pay," after determining that chemicals used in commercial car washes could cause stress cracks in their lenses, according to internal documents read by CNBC. But in a seemingly contradictory note, an internal e-mail in the second quarter of 2021 referencing the issue said, "First repair and replacement of parts can be covered under Goodwill – Vehicle Quality."

The complaint embedded images of what the whistleblowers said were emails, spreadsheets and screenshots of some of Tesla's homegrown software and back-end systems. It said these showed that non-administrative and non-executive employees had access to read and edit data points, via a developer tool called MySQL Workbench, that could later feed into Tesla's shareholder communications and financial statements.

In one example, the tipsters said screenshots showed other Tesla employees changed the status of material used in manufacturing from "scrap" to "work in progress." Scrap refers to material generated from a manufacturing job that is unusable waste.

In another example, the complaint said screenshots showed Tesla employees had manually changed the status of "used" cars to "new" in a program that tracked vehicle deliveries data. This could affect Tesla's delivery numbers, they said, though they didn't try to estimate the overall impact and instead encouraged the SEC to investigate further.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That last paragraph reminds me that several people have reported getting "new" Teslas with several hundred miles on the odometer, strangers' phones linked in Bluetooth with their contacts loaded, and their address set as the home address

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chris Knight posted:

In another example, the complaint said screenshots showed Tesla employees had manually changed the status of "used" cars to "new" in a program that tracked vehicle deliveries data. This could affect Tesla's delivery numbers, they said, though they didn't try to estimate the overall impact and instead encouraged the SEC to investigate further.

lol. we knew about that one a while ago

Sagebrush posted:

That last paragraph reminds me that several people have reported getting "new" Teslas with several hundred miles on the odometer, strangers' phones linked in Bluetooth with their contacts loaded, and their address set as the home address

yup

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sagebrush posted:

at least it self destructs

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
spacex also uses the same erp system as tesla

i wonder what twitter uses

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Elder Postsman posted:

if you assume that there are no physical limitations to the abilities of robots, or that any such limitations can easily be overcome with better tech or better design, then you naturally arrive at the conclusion that a sufficiently well-designed robot assembly line working on a sufficiently well-designed car should be able to assemble a car in an instant

and musk's primary target audience thinks technology is literally magic

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Lain Iwakura posted:

spacex also uses the same erp system as tesla

i wonder what twitter uses
probably something real

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esWbWxRDzVI

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

assume this is significantly longer than the demumbled cut

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Elder Postsman posted:

look. Elon knows more about manufacturing than anyone else on the planet! it's a shame he can't seem to tell anyone who works for him what that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

If I was in the right continent/timezone I'd buy one share and turn up at the shareholder meetings to be a righteous pain in the rear end as is my right