Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
for anyone playing the home game, we were pointing out the purely fanciful range numbers five to six years ago too.

these have not been masterful cons that required some kind of insider knowledge to catch. this is purely a failure of the american regulatory state to do its loving job and the press for reporting verbatim absolute bullshit without even the lowest effort verification.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the job of regulators and the fourth estate is to rubber stamp and legitimize these acts, because to admit there's a problem would undermine people's confidence in our great innovators and industries

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what do you mean? all these claims that any scientist or engineer, or even an idiot forums poster with a wikipedia degree, can see are wrong using common sense and a few minutes of arithmetic....they're all bullshit and lies??

how can that be? elon musk, the world's smartest engineer and inventor, says it's true. it must be

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

what do you mean? all these claims that any scientist or engineer, or even an idiot forums poster with a wikipedia degree, can see are wrong using common sense and a few minutes of arithmetic....they're all bullshit and lies??

how can that be? elon musk, the world's smartest engineer and inventor, says it's true. it must be

what's that post thats like "people tell me elon musk is a rocket genius, so I believe them [...] I've see his code, and I'm never getting in one of his cars or rockets"

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

what's that post thats like "people tell me elon musk is a rocket genius, so I believe them [...] I've see his code, and I'm never getting in one of his cars or rockets"

Let's see if this works:

I think this was an ex-Twitter engineer, too.

Also re "I've seen his code", lol if you think Elon has coded anything since the slapped-together ASP that let him ride the dot com bubble to riches in the 90s.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
even one of his biographies notes that his code was scrapped entirely when they hired actual programmers because it was an unmaintainable mess

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

infernal machines posted:

even one of his biographies notes that his code was scrapped entirely when they hired actual programmers because it was an unmaintainable mess

and then they turned on his monitor

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

tangentially related, one of my favorite stories

quote:

Musk said that Twitter would need to do a “total rewrite of the whole thing” if it wanted to have a “really high velocity,” prompting Netflix engineer Ian Brown to interrupt with some pointed questions. Brown had previously worked at Twitter for more than 8 years before leaving in Oct. 2021.

“Wait, seriously, a total rewrite? That’s your prediction for velocity?” Brown wondered.

“Yeah,” Musk quickly replied.

“Well, when you say a total rewrite, you mean starting with the skeleton?” Hotz interjected. “Or a bunch of engineers sit down with a whiteboard and say, ‘What is Twitter?’ Revolution or reform?”

Musk, after hemming and hawing for a few seconds, eventually said that “you either needed to amend the crazy stack that exists or rewrite it,” Brown jumped in again to ask the Tesla founder what he explicitly meant and whether he could “break it down.”

Following an awkward silence, Musk questioned whether Brown had “seen George’s diagram,” causing the Netflix employee to break out in laughter.

“Are you—who are you?!” an increasingly flustered Musk shot back.

“What do you mean who am I? I don’t know! You gave me the loving mic!” Brown retorted. Hotz, meanwhile, acknowledged that he gave Brown the opportunity to speak while calling for it to be “more civil” in his Space.

“I mean, man, you’re in charge of the servers and the programming and whatever,” Brown continued. “What is the stack, Elon? Take me from top to bottom. What does the stack look like right now? What’s so crazy about it? What is so abnormal about this stack versus every other large-scale system on the planet, buddy? C’mon!”

Rather than answer Brown’s questions, Musk instead resorted to ad hominem attacks.

“Amazing! You’re a jackass!” the Twitter CEO fumed.

“Haha, ok! I got no credibility here, buddy,” Brown fired back before Hotz pulled the plug on his mic.

“Good! What a moron,” Musk added, getting in the final word.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The_Franz posted:

tesla issues a recall because their accelerator pedal literally falls apart

subaru issued a recall of my parent's forester because they identified that a small batch of vehicles may have had a bolt torqued incorrectly, and it may result in a problem years down the road. "bring it in, it will take 10 minutes, and we'll give you half-off an oil change and top off your washer fluid for your trouble"

the steering wheel electronics on my lovely 2000 Chrysler minivan I drove in college went out in 2012. the failure was covered under a recall so the Chrysler dealer fixed my decade+ old car at no cost to me as the rules say. Imagine trying that with any Elon car lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

do you understand the meaning of the words you are using, or are you just saying things because people will agree with you regardless?

also, lmao forever at the boy wonder geohotz diving nuts deep into twitter and discovering that he doesn't know how javascript works

the guy who, coincidentally, was selling a diy autonomous driving conversion kit for cars at one point

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Roosevelt posted:

almost as big a hero as the Twitter employee who when musk demanded answers on what Twitter bug was causing people to like his tweets less, gave musk a presentation in person about how people found musk creepy and weird

"You're fired, you're fired" was an actual reported quote from the meeting

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

that exec musk just fired a couple weeks ago dumped all his shares.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

evilweasel posted:

almost as big a hero as the Twitter employee who when musk demanded answers on what Twitter bug was causing people to like his tweets less, gave musk a presentation in person about how people found musk creepy and weird

"You're fired, you're fired" was an actual reported quote from the meeting

need a source on this one

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Here is one of them, I remember another one with more detail on the presentation but can't find it right now: https://www.platformer.news/elon-musk-fires-a-top-twitter-engineer/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Trillhouse posted:

that exec musk just fired a couple weeks ago dumped all his shares.

got a cool $181 million for it too

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

A video on reddit of some dork in a cybertruck flipping out at some kids on bikes for making fun of his gas pedal

Cybertruck owner rages at kids on bikes, calls them homophobic slurs, threatens to rip off their heads and spit down their throats

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

wow it's amazing these teens met elon musk himself

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

if i see a cybertruck irl i'm going to heckle them as hard as i can

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

A video on reddit of some dork in a cybertruck flipping out at some kids on bikes for making fun of his gas pedal

Cybertruck owner rages at kids on bikes, calls them homophobic slurs, threatens to rip off their heads and spit down their throats

dorky loser buys cybrtrk thinking it will finally make him cool, except riding around in a dorkmobile all day just draws even more attention to how much of a dork he actually is

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

an automotive fedora

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

an automotive fedora

Fedoral Express

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

It was in the extremely hardcore inside elons Twitter book too, Zoë Schiffer cited a source if you want me to look it up, it’s a really funny story and my favorite Elon story

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Anyone can get caught in a meeting being called out for some poo poo your making up so that story is a little too relatable to me, but imagine what an enormous loser you have to be to fire the guy explaining how much you suck in a meeting you called to talk about why people aren’t liking your tweets

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
might as well have the driving crooner hat and cigar factory installed

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol it looks like poo poo and it looks worse in motion rofl

what a loving piece of poo poo car

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Musk is posting the dog balls picture again and being very calm about dustin moskovitz calling tesla the next Enron yesterday

A thing on blueksy about the moskovitz thing on threads: (phew)

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

https://x.com/manhattva/status/1783703300669583475

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
From the Reddit thread about dustin moskovitz TSLA slam:

quote:

Taneja will be to Tesla what Fastow was to Enron.

Taneja came to Tesla from PWC-India right after they were caught cooking the books for an Indian software maker called Satyam. The scandal was India's Enron moment.

The fact that Taneja was made CFO in addition to his CAO role after Kirkhorn left is a major red flag.

Fastow already had been professionally linked to a major accounting scandal prior to his time at Enron. He worked at Continental Bank in the 80s when it failed, the biggest bank failure in US history until the 2000s. The bank hid huge losses in accounting for asset backed securities.

Asset back securities is one of the drivers of rev for Tesla. They've been selling notes backed by Tesla leases. Not sure how securities backed by Tesla leases would grow legitimately in value in the face of constant price cuts that lower the value of the cars.

To summarize: Tesla CFO quits, and to replace him they promote the guy from India's Arther Anderson (Enron's corrupt accountants)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I was thinking about the financial fraud poo poo earlier and how much do you want to bet that that all that inventory is held at the pre-price cut value or something like that

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/TaylorOgan/status/1783914342280532215?t=G7zGmuvefKfdfCPwUPKdNA&s=19

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

lmao at admitting you had a tantrum like a 3 year old in public

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I was thinking about the financial fraud poo poo earlier and how much do you want to bet that that all that inventory is held at the pre-price cut value or something like that

I wouldn’t bet on it. Inventory is kept on the books at cost (unless market value is lower than cost). A car that costs $30,000 to produce and sells for $40,000 is on the books for $30,000 and remains there even if the retail price of the car goes down to $35,000.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/YoniAstro/status/1784217309197795604

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ShadowHawk posted:

From the Reddit thread about dustin moskovitz TSLA slam:

To summarize: Tesla CFO quits, and to replace him they promote the guy from India's Arther Anderson (Enron's corrupt accountants)
rear end in a top hat backed securities

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

i hope this guy has a lot of posts about women from the commonwealth of independent states

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Missing Donut posted:

I wouldn’t bet on it. Inventory is kept on the books at cost (unless market value is lower than cost). A car that costs $30,000 to produce and sells for $40,000 is on the books for $30,000 and remains there even if the retail price of the car goes down to $35,000.

This is what Tesla would do if they followed GAAP, yes.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Missing Donut posted:

I mean pretty much definition of financial fraud is not doing your books the way you're supposed to

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Eeyo posted:

lmao at admitting you had a tantrum like a 3 year old in public

in fairness spitting on the cybertruck will dissolve the metal like something out of aliens so he was very concerned

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

squalid flake vs the lol li lu lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

fins posted:

from the osha thread

lmao the tesla guy super excited about his truncated vegetable