Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Roosevelt posted:

i used to drive a blue 1976 honda civic with matching blue tinted windows and people on the street loved that tiny little car

cvcc civic is a sick whip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

:haibrow:

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
what’s the etymology behind “whip”?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jonny 290 posted:

mine was in a bit worse condition than this one but it was --identical-- same color, same black leather seats, same hondamatic, same wheels and choke knob. mine just said H O   D A on the back.

https://www.carterscarsvt.com/used/Honda/1976-Honda-CVCC%20CIVIC-397739040a0e09b16eae737510474b9e.htm

i miss it so much. in fact i wish i had the cash to buy this rare gem. 27,000 miles and i can see it's all OEM.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Roosevelt posted:

mine was in a bit worse condition than this one but it was --identical-- same color, same black leather seats, same hondamatic, same wheels and choke knob. mine just said H O   D A on the back.

https://www.carterscarsvt.com/used/Honda/1976-Honda-CVCC%20CIVIC-397739040a0e09b16eae737510474b9e.htm

i miss it so much. in fact i wish i had the cash to buy this rare gem. 27,000 miles and i can see it's all OEM.

gently caress yeah.

my favorite car ever was my '77 Nova with the 250 chevy straight six

$500 from a punk friend. seated six. 30 mpg on a road trip from arkansas to chicago and back. could offroad. 6x9 cutouts for a sick pioneer setup

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my girlfriend gets compliments on her miata all the time, it’s a perfectly normal human interaction lol why be weird about it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that nova got a dime sized hole in the radiator and i just got a flip top radiator cap and learned the location of all the gas stations in town with a free water hose. range was 10-12 miles between refills. what a tank

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

my girlfriend gets compliments on her miata all the time, it’s a perfectly normal human interaction lol why be weird about it

Nice car.... for me to compliment!!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

the trucks are migrating back to their spawning ground

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
my RCZ got me a knock on the driver side window and a "schönes Auto !!" from an old lesbian lady while visiting Austria.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the trucks are migrating back to their spawning ground
so i'm wondering, is there an easy way to turn off this vehicle/person/????object???? recognition in teslas or are you just stuck with the system constantly producing this incredibly distracting mess of appearing/disappearing/shape-changing things?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

that nova got a dime sized hole in the radiator and i just got a flip top radiator cap and learned the location of all the gas stations in town with a free water hose. range was 10-12 miles between refills. what a tank

just like a steam engine

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

Tesla's massive gigafactory outside Austin, Texas will no longer have to follow local environmental regulations, thanks to a recent state law.

Tesla's 2,500-acre property, which includes its 10-million-square-foot electric vehicle gigafactory, is in unincorporated land on the outskirts of Austin.

Despite not being directly in the city, most of that land was still part of Austin's "extraterritorial jurisdiction" (ETJ), which allowed the city to regulate developments outside its limits.

In February, Tesla applied for an exemption from Austin's ETJ, which the city's Planning Department approved in March.

The exemption was possible thanks to a new state law that went into effect in September and allows landowners to request to be removed from jurisdictions so that they can develop land with fewer regulations.

Several cities in the state have already sued to block the law, including Grand Prairie, which argued in a filing that the law will hurt the city's ability to protect the health, safety, and welfare of those who live in and around its borders.

But under the law, cities don't have much leeway to deny a landowner's request, Austin's director of planning previously said, according to the Austin Business Journal.

Tesla's ETJ exemption will enable the electric vehicle company to further develop its land without having to follow the city's environmental restrictions, which an Austin city spokesperson acknowledged could harm locals.

"Releasing properties from the ETJ impacts the City because development in the ETJ is subject to limited subdivision regulation as well as regulation of water quality and flooding issues," Shelley Parks, an Austin city spokesperson, said in a statement to Business Insider. "All affect people in both the ETJ and the City itself." 

Tesla did not respond to a request for comment from Business Insider.
I'm sure it'll be fine

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Chris Knight posted:

I'm sure it'll be fine

the most progressive city in texas is still in texas

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

EricBauman posted:

the most progressive city in texas is still in texas

yeah i dunno why people moved to texas' hong kong and went all surprised-pikachu that the government then pulled the rug out from under their one-state two-systems

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

I'm sure it'll be fine

keep austin weird

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Midjack posted:

keep austin weird toxic

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

creepin n rollin

the amount of rivians i've seen in austin lately is ... a lot. i dont think the store is even open yet here

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chris Knight posted:

I'm sure it'll be fine

the sooner it burns down the less damage it can do

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Midjack posted:

keep austin weird

Birth defects are weird, right?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Kernel Sanders posted:

what’s the etymology behind “whip”?
comes from horse carriage times op

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
when ghost riding was super spooky

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

smdh at those who don't know Mr FAB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9nPhHxkLxw

who's that driving, Patrick swayze?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

smdh at those who don't know Mr FAB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9nPhHxkLxw

who's that driving, Patrick swayze?

get out the way n let casper drive

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

holy lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

god such fond memories of that getting blasted out on the lljk counterstrike server playing surf maps

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Elon, you will never reach this level of cool, just give up

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i cant believe i forgot about flamboastin

LieutenantFrost
Aug 9, 2009
this was the first time i heard that track. still whips

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SBPJTK1YBvs

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

guys thats a midjourney pic, yall disappoint me

musk needs to take a full journey down to his local weight watchers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
old news, but it's always nice to see the nhtsa catching up to where the thread was four years ago

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/04/feds-concerned-some-of-teslas-autopilot-recall-was-opt-in-reversible/ posted:

NHTSA also found that Tesla's telematics system has plenty of gaps in it, despite the closely held belief among many fans of the brand that the Autopilot system is constantly recording and uploading to Tesla's servers to improve itself. Instead, it only records an accident if the airbags deploy, which NHTSA data shows only happens in 18 percent of police-reported crashes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

infernal machines posted:

old news, but it's always nice to see the nhtsa catching up to where the thread was four years ago

grok learned to not leave witnesses

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ok but how about AI car racing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=143MxioL0ns

looks good to me

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

elon trying to quietly visit china and ask for permission to deploy FSD

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/elon-musk-heading-china-visit-teslas-second-biggest-market-sources-say-2024-04-28/ posted:

Elon Musk visits China as Tesla seeks self-driving technology rollout

SHANGHAI/BEIJING, April 28 (Reuters) - Tesla (TSLA.O) CEO Elon Musk arrived in Beijing on Sunday on an unannounced visit, where he was expected to discuss the rollout of Full Self-Driving (FSD) software and permission to transfer data overseas, according to a person with knowledge of the matter.

Chinese state media reported that he met Premier Li Qiang in Beijing, during which Li told Musk that Tesla's development in China could be regarded as a successful example of U.S.-China economic and trade cooperation.

"Honored to meet with Premier Li Qiang. We have known each other now for many years, since early Shanghai days," Musk posted on social media platform X, as he appeared in a picture with the premier.

Tesla reached an accord with Chinese authorities for a plant in Shanghai, its first outside the United States, in 2018.

The U.S. electric vehicle maker rolled out FSD, the most autonomous version of its Autopilot software, four years ago but has yet to make it available in China, its second-largest market globally, despite customer demand.

Musk said this month that Tesla may make FSD available to customers in China "very soon," in response to a query on X.

i guess they have actual regulators in china? hope they tell him to get lost

for some reason i thought FSD was already available in china? maybe all those tesla crashes in china were autopilot?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

ok but how about AI car racing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=143MxioL0ns

looks good to me

i know there's a lot of reasons why you wouldn't normally, but read the comments

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
of course those cars wanted to off themselves; we made them race on Yas

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Shumagorath posted:

of course those cars wanted to off themselves; we made them race on Yas

ladies and gentlemen... Formula 2

STOP OR I'LL SHOOT *car slams into barrier, deploys flashing lights*

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sombrerotron posted:

so i'm wondering, is there an easy way to turn off this vehicle/person/????object???? recognition in teslas or are you just stuck with the system constantly producing this incredibly distracting mess of appearing/disappearing/shape-changing things?

nope. that's the default display pretty much the whole time, unless you're in a different app, in which case it's sometimes in the background. elon probably thinks it's an impressive flex showing what the car "sees", but anyone watching it for more than a minute or two and that can also see out the windshield/other windows can tell that it's wrong very frequently — and i don't know how frequently, but i doubt anyone could even quantify it anyway considering the insane amount of variance even while stationary in one vehicle

but it really is wrong to an alarming degree, and, if that's what the autonomous functionality is relying on to make decisions (it could always use a simplified version, lmao), horrifying. it doesn't even detect cars parked on the side of the street often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

elon trying to quietly visit china and ask for permission to deploy FSD

i guess they have actual regulators in china? hope they tell him to get lost

for some reason i thought FSD was already available in china? maybe all those tesla crashes in china were autopilot?

i think fsd is only available in the us? either way yes their regulatory apparatus actually works and will tell him to go pound sand

50/50 on whether he defies them and does it anyway