Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
The first half was pretty average, but the second was great. I'm glad I waited for the good subs since the lyrics added a lot. Pretty excited to see if it can keep the momentum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Compilation of major translation errors in the Sentai script made by the Chyuu-PAS translator: https://imgur.com/a/jTne0xo

It seems that StarlightSubs who were editing the Sentai script only caught half of these too, so definitely wait for the Chyuu-PAS release.

More mistakes pointed out in this thread: https://twitter.com/shit_simulcasts/status/1018695294991683585?s=21

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Hopefully Chyuu won't bail in the middle like they did for Fate Extra.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Those are some really nice details in there, thanks for sharing.

In particular I was wondering the importance of Position Zero since the show drew so much attention to it, but it didn't click until I saw this tidbit https://twitter.com/shit_simulcasts/status/1018701932532289537

....that's definitely going to be important going forward.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Can't get over the fact how good the first episode was.

Week long waits are going to be torture

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Julias posted:

Those are some really nice details in there, thanks for sharing.

In particular I was wondering the importance of Position Zero since the show drew so much attention to it, but it didn't click until I saw this tidbit https://twitter.com/shit_simulcasts/status/1018701932532289537

....that's definitely going to be important going forward.

After watching the Starlight sub edit, those sentai subs are appalling, it omits what they are competing for (lead - even though you can guess that), how they win (unclasping the cape) when I initially assumed the Glasses girl was just swept away by Karen's performance and submitted via acknowledging her as lead by dip, and "We will all be Starlight" is near the opposite of what Karen actually declares.

As as that tweeter said, for a show with a lot of Ikuhara influence, highlighting and being consistent with Thematic Phrases is kinda important.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
someone post the translated lyrics plz

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Yak of Wrath posted:

After watching the Starlight sub edit, those sentai subs are appalling, it omits what they are competing for (lead - even though you can guess that), how they win (unclasping the cape) when I initially assumed the Glasses girl was just swept away by Karen's performance and submitted via acknowledging her as lead by dip, and "We will all be Starlight" is near the opposite of what Karen actually declares.

As as that tweeter said, for a show with a lot of Ikuhara influence, highlighting and being consistent with Thematic Phrases is kinda important.

To be fair, the giraffe does say when the cape falls, it's over, but yeah, considering the cluttered mess of subtitles during that scene, it's not surprising to have missed that bit.

One thing I'm really curious about is why Hikari has a blue cape on her right shoulder, whereas every other named character has a red cape over their left shoulder.

Considering the star motif she has (hikari means light), and the focus on becoming a top star/her past relationship with the protagonist, there's definitely something to be said about her getting a unique design.

Julias fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 16, 2018

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
What they're wearing is called pelisse, not a cape. A pelisse is a short fur-trimmed jacket worn over the left shoulder by Napoleonic era cavalrymen to turn saber cuts and look bad-rear end.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Julias posted:

To be fair, the giraffe does say when the cape falls, it's over, but yeah, considering the cluttered mess of subtitles during that scene, it's not surprising to have missed that bit.

One thing I'm really curious about is why the one girl has a blue cape on her right shoulder, whereas everyother named character has a red cape over their left shoulder.

When discussing the lead role both Hero and Villain are mentioned as leads, maybe Hikari is gunning for antagonist from the get go.

edit: her combat is notably sinister :suicide:

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 16, 2018

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hikari is also the outsider too, cause there’s only 8 roles in Starlight and Hikari just bumped up the main cast count to 9, so someone is definitely losing a spot when this is all over.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Karen jumped into a one versus one duel to upset the match and steal the win for herself. She is absolutely the bad guy in the first episode.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 16, 2018

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Yak of Wrath posted:

edit: her combat is notably sinister :suicide:

Her weapon of choice is a dagger, while everyone else is going swords/maces/katanas/other big weapons. She has her work cut out for her

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010
here's a neat thread on takarazuka
https://twitter.com/andrearitsu/status/1018943007922507776

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also a good article on being the center

https://formeinfullbloom.wordpress.com/2018/07/14/to-be-a-center-shoujo-%e2%98%86-kageki-revue-starlight-episode-1/

As well staff production notes

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/07/16/revue-starlight-production-notes-1/

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
CHYUU-PAS subs are out for anyone who has been waiting on that. Definitely worth rewatching just cause a bunch of possibly important lines are now clearer.

For anyone who just wants to watch the Revue of Passion again:
https://files.catbox.moe/ipsz71.webm

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
These are neat role names to ponder about

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Fantastic first ep, and easy AOTY contender. I really hope this gets the attention it deserves.

StarlightSubs seem to be the best option going forward. They will be translating from scratch starting with ep2 instead of editing the Sentai script.

Despite all of their valid complaints about the original subs, the PAS subs have a ton of issues with them as well. The final line in the ep is particularly rough. PAS will probably release fairly late every week, and the group has a history of stalling on shows. Since it is an established fansub group, there won't be nearly as much criticism directed at their releases compared to StarlightSubs.

Additionally, the StarlightSubs people are translating both the stage play and the manga, so they are better equipped to decide between different line translations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Me, before the season started: Well this is the show I have highest expectations for I guess.
Me, finally watching the first episode: oh it has already completely blown away my expectations and was better than I was hoping for.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Allarion posted:

These are neat role names to ponder about

If "Goddess of Binding" isn't Banana-chan...

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

Me, before the season started: Well this is the show I have highest expectations for I guess.
Me, finally watching the first episode: oh it has already completely blown away my expectations and was better than I was hoping for.
This for me as well. The entire ep is really well done, but that finale was one of the coolest sequences I've ever seen.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
How many notable issues are in the StarlightSubs episode 1? I saw the Sentai version and it was a mess, and I'm still conflicted about which version to rewatch with because they each seem to have drawbacks.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

esselfortium posted:

How many notable issues are in the StarlightSubs episode 1? I saw the Sentai version and it was a mess, and I'm still conflicted about which version to rewatch with because they each seem to have drawbacks.

People are being weird about the subs, IMO. Watch either, they're both fine.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Starlight’s subs for episode 1 are just an edited version of Sentai’s so there’s still some awkward lines here and there, though they fixed some of Sentai’s mistranslations. Just watch Chyuu Pas’s version if you’ve already seen Sentai’s.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
The CHYUU-PAS ones seem to have some pretty awkward choices as well, to be honest. "I'll Starlight you all!" is a really clunky way to render that line.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah that line is interesting since all 3 subs go for a different reading of it, which really alters your interpretation of what Karen's goal is.

That said, there are some lines in CHYUU-PAS where I'm wondering if they may be overly liberal in interpreting a line too, but I'm not fluent enough in Japanese to be sure. They feel the most natural-feeling to me at least, despite their choice of Karenitwit at the end.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
StarlightSubs makes it clear who sings which lines in the insert song, which I think will be important going forward. I'd recommend them for now. Hopefully PAS will adjust their approach to the songs, and I hope that Karenitwit isn't a recurring pet name. I would've preferred Bakaren to be left untranslated, but a ton of people disagree with me. It's not a perfect parallel, but the translation issue on this one line reminds me of the dilemma in monogatari subs on what to do with the wordplay of Tsukihi's catchphrase.

Both fansub groups are doing original translations from now on, and I've heard that Hidive/Sentai have been pressured to get their poo poo together. Sub wars will continue for a couple of episodes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Karenitwit is unpleasant to read, IMO

Like, it seems like if I have to stop and go "wait, how do I even pronounce that" when I'm reading your subtitles you've made a mistake, the whole point is that you're supposed to be able to parse them extremely quickly.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 20, 2018

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Know Such Peace posted:

Sub wars will continue for a couple of episodes.

Now I want an anime of cute girls doing sub wars, like Girls und Panzer did tanks and High School Fleet did ships.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Beato Believer posted:

Now I want an anime of cute girls doing sub wars, like Girls und Panzer did tanks and High School Fleet did ships.

I want to be on team Amiga subs!

Also read the manga its good

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Lol I can't stop thinking about this it's so good

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Also read the manga its good

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Came to this after reading everyone's reactions and knowing it would be Extremely My Jam. This had better stick the landing, because I'm here for the season.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
this first episode was extremely good

Cheering for Banana-chan and not-Tomoyo for sure.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Added a character list to the OP in my excitement for subs of ep 2

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Ep2 StarlightSubs are out

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Caught a few wrong words in there, but I can't speak to how the translation itself holds up. I thought they did a great job with the colored lyrics.

Does this mean there are simultaneous auditions?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Second ep was really good. I really like how they handled Juuna, and the show's sense of style is as strong as it was in the premiere.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

For anyone who's interested, this person has been doing some nicely insightful breakdowns on the first few episodes on their blog: https://twitter.com/AJtheFourth/status/1020631138543415296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This Is Tendou Maya

• Locked thread