Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bushiroad has gotten Japanese artists like Jam Project to do English versions of OP/ED for the dubs of shows like Cardfight Vanguard, so I don’t think dubbing the songs is completely out of the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Man now that I'm constantly looking for them those purple lights are everywhere.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

Episode 3 was REAL good. Bit surprised that Karen's first defeat came so early. Wonder how long it'll take her to bounce back.

Show's doing a really good job of balancing happy funtime SOL antics, slow-building tension, and the dramatic clashes of the Revue IMO

I actually kinda expected her to go up against TENDOU MAYA this week and get totally wrecked, especially after the end of last week's episode. She really needed something to put the brakes on her a bit since she was just rushing forward without any concern for anyone else, not even Hikari. She really needs to take some time to get to know the rest of the girls better or I think she'll just keep underestimating them.

Anyway THIS IS TENDOU MAYA's battle this week was about as badass as I expected, though. I really love some of the shots in this show:

Also, that one blog had another great post about this week's ep. There was some pretty neat stuff it pointed out like how Maya's pose mirrors the Venus status in the background as she stands apart from her peers when talking to them, and some more of the inspirations and parallels back to the Takarazuka Revue.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Tendou Maya is very powerful.

So are these two :3: trying to bribe Banana.... and whatever was going on in the bath

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

cathead posted:

Also, that one blog had another great post about this week's ep.
Surprised they mentioned the Venus statue but not the paper airplane crashing into it.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I'm super glad about the fight this week. I was half expecting Karen to do a protagonist asspull and somehow win, but it was refreshing to see her lose.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
This has been great so far. My only concern is that it seems, if anything, too dense - everything's been moving so fast I'm having trouble keeping track of all the characters and their relationships as they shift. We're only on episode 3, but I feel like so much has happened!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hey.
Hey.
>.>
<.<
This is Tendou Maya

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Snooze Cruise posted:

Hey.
Hey.
>.>
<.<
This is Tendou Maya

Cool Tendies

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/revuestarlight/status/1024580719777968133

Get ready for some back story!

episode looks hype

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
From that, it looks like we're going to flesh out the pairs some more. Interesting we're getting that after last ep messing with them.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Episode 4 was okay, mostly adding a bit to Karen and Hikari’s relationship. I kinda loved that they did a bit of normal dorm hijinx in the side plot too, especially since it ends up being for nothing. The blog that’s been linked to has a new article looking at how Nana fits in being third despite appearing to be fairly laid back.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I though that was our best episode yet, tbh. Fleshed out a bunch of our cast really nicely, and basically everything about Karen/Hikari's day out was really nicely shot and edited and just compelling to watch, IMO.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bananice

Loved the episodes smaller stakes as it clearly sets up the conflict, the comedy was spot on Including the teacher riding by and casually revealing she knew everything the morning after and the ending theme is 100% gay

Pretty my solidly in my #1 slot for the season

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Bananice

Loved the episodes smaller stakes as it clearly sets up the conflict, the comedy was spot on Including the teacher riding by and casually revealing she knew everything the morning after and the ending theme is 100% gay

Pretty my solidly in my #1 slot for the season

And the “legendary punishment”, really the whole sneaking out scene was great. Also can we get a gif of Nana’s hair getting bounced?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Bananice

Dorkaren

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That was a sweet episode. These theater kids are delightful dorks

Surprised Junjun was good

Very much appreciate Hikari's passion for aquariums and jellyfish

Knorth fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 5, 2018

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Dorkaren is an excellent translation of Bakarin. I also liked how theater kids their coverup was. I'm pretty sure the idiots at my HS actually pulled the ~its the vapours~ poo poo to get out of class.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Tumblr has two varieties

Other good moments :3:

Hallway guardian was extremely good and I hope we see more of this very theatrical Mahiru

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Knorth posted:

Tumblr has two varieties

Very Bananice

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Bananice.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Tendo Maya’s (I propose a new rule for the thread, Tendo Maya must always be referred to by her full name) perturbed expression to having her bath interrupted was good too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Speaking of which, Claudia hiding her Tendo Maya picture stash was great.

Poor Hallway Guardian, doomed to help her crush chase another girl for all eternity. Truly a tragic figure...

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Sindai posted:

Poor Hallway Guardian, doomed to help her crush chase another girl for all eternity. Truly a tragic figure...
Can't spell eternity without NTR! :haw:

On a more serious note I was wondering if they were going to have a "Revue of the Week" again but it's good to see they're willing to skip it for the sake of story/character development.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Anime_Otaku posted:

Tendo Maya’s (I propose a new rule for the thread, Tendo Maya must always be referred to by her full name) perturbed expression to having her bath interrupted was good too.

Mayo Tendies

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

cathead posted:

Can't spell eternity without NTR! :haw:

On a more serious note I was wondering if they were going to have a "Revue of the Week" again but it's good to see they're willing to skip it for the sake of story/character development.

Also probably a good move in terms of keeping the production from making GBS threads itself.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/revuestarlight/status/1026846954095927296

Stuff seems to be going down next episode

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Finally Mahiru will get to shine

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Lol that Karen is on both sides of the potato picture

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
A) Wow, that fight sequence.

B) This Is Potato

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
That episode was really funny, especially the second half.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This episode was super funny as was the fight but also very much a good serious window in Mahiru was great.

Also THIS IS POTATO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Karen's kinda a garbage friend, tbh

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Karen's oblivious, not malicious.

Also THIS IS POTATO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Julias posted:

Karen's oblivious, not malicious.

Also THIS IS POTATO

Egh. You're not wrong, but Karen responding to Mahiru's anxieties and fears by praising a bunch of things about Mahiru that she could also say about literally any named character in this show was kinda hard to watch.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 12, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

But part of Mahiru's worries was here not being good enough to be there and well shining like the rest of the cast is proof that she belongs.

The other half in that she is losing the Karen bowl welp yeah Karen was a typical teen with that

Also Bananice vs This is Potato when

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

But part of Mahiru's worries was here not being good enough to be there and well shining like the rest of the cast is proof that she belongs.

The other half in that she is losing the Karen bowl welp yeah Karen was a typical teen with that

Also Bananice vs This is Potato when

It's not even so much that Mahiru is losing the Karen Bowl so much as it is that Karen won't even acknowledge that Mahiru is someone who's a lot more emotionally invested in her than the rest of the gang (minus Hikari ofc) is, even when Mahiru is literally screaming as much square in her face. Clueless protags are nothing new in anime, sure, but they also don't usually STAY this clueless after confrontations like this.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's not even so much that Mahiru is losing the Karen Bowl so much as it is that Karen won't even acknowledge that Mahiru is someone who's a lot more emotionally invested in her than the rest of the gang (minus Hikari ofc) is, even when Mahiru is literally screaming as much square in her face. Clueless protags are nothing new in anime, sure, but they also don't usually STAY this clueless after confrontations like this.

I do agree with this though, and I hope Mahiru finds someone who actually cares about her one day instead of pining endlessly for Karen

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Julias posted:

I do agree with this though, and I hope Mahiru finds someone who actually cares about her one day instead of pining endlessly for Karen

And, see, I know I'm hanging up on this a bit, but it just feels really weird and jarring to me that Karen's actively being kind of lovely and clueless about people she's theoretically pretty close to, and the show just whiffed on its most obvious opportunity to hold her accountable for it - moreso than Mahiru having/not having a love interest. Like Mahiru doesn't need to win Karen's heart or anything, but it would be nice for Karen to at some point go 'oh maybe I've been neglecting this person who cares a lot about me' and have to do something about that.

I mean we've got 7 more episodes or so for the show to shut me up, but if this is the last the show really comments on the issue then it'll wind up sticking out pretty badly IMO.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean we've got 7 more episodes or so for the show to shut me up, but if this is the last the show really comments on the issue then it'll wind up sticking out pretty badly IMO.

Yeah, I really hope that this gets a proper resolution later down the line, it would be a huge mistreatment of Mahiru's character to just continue playing on her jealousy of Hikari and Karen's relationship for laughs without a proper resolution for her own feelings, in whatever form that may take

• Locked thread