Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

gently caress, she even looks like a giraffe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

that was one helluva way to do a cost-savings episode

all aboard the Darth Banana train toot toooooot

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Well

that was a contender for the best episode of anything I've watched this year.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hikari being a bigger disaster than Karen is big mood

also God drat that scene with the Giraffe Skeleton was just amazing but than the double review was like woah. Nana's voice did a great job with more serious voice during the fight god drat

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Serious Banana is very scary.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/tea_vea/status/1036001466673254406?s=19

Anyway, I'll be over here with picking my jaw up off the floor

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

It is very hard to wait for the subs. At least I know it will be worth it!

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Episode 8: If a regular soul weighs just 21g but a Stage Girl's is at least 130g no wonder they can work such miracles

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh no Banana... :(

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
what a good time to get off my rear end and catch up with this show

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Ah so two girls can share the same rank, eh

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

BTW, having Banana's version of the ending song last week just be instrumental was incredible. As if she was all "been there, done that, already know I'm the best, so I'm just gonna stand here with my arms crossed instead of singing".

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

AnacondaHL posted:

BTW, having Banana's version of the ending song last week just be instrumental was incredible. As if she was all "been there, done that, already know I'm the best, so I'm just gonna stand here with my arms crossed instead of singing".

Or she took one look at the lyrics and said "I'm not singing a romantic duet about flying to the star with you, Giraffe. I thought we established that?"

"Wa... Wakarimasu..."

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Since we're on the topic, that blog did a post about the ED

https://formeinfullbloom.wordpress....nding-sequence/

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
https://twitter.com/sss_stn/status/1036314473475145728

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Nana and Junna heart warming episode Also wasn't expecting Karen to be the one to put her time loop out of wack. I scream when they showed the I AM REBORN graphic again as it just had new meaning. Such a great episode

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Is it just me or are the fansubs taking longer than usual this week?

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Nah, not just you. The two low-grade ones have been out a couple days but none of the good teams. School has started up again so maybe everyone got busy.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
In my experience, fansubs fall behind on schedule because they have multiple people working on a show, and if one person is busy for a few days, the whole operation kinda gets bottlenecked as a result.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
StarlightSubs dropped out to focus on the stage play fansub since a sequel stage play is starting next month. They said they would work on the blu-ray releases when they come out.

ACSS and Chyuu-PAS use the same source, and I’ve heard that is causing the delay this week. Flysubs are going to be your only option for next-day subs on these last couple of episodes.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Yay subs.

I like that As Junna helped Nana accept moving forward in life and the new Starlight their duet was a new version of "Fly me to the Star". Anyhoo I wish Karen and Hikari luck in averting their much prophesied doom

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The full version of Fly Me to the Star has been out for a while and the ed renditions have just been different cuts of the same one song.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Strange Quark posted:

The full version of Fly Me to the Star has been out for a while and the ed renditions have just been different cuts of the same one song.

I realise this, what I meant was this was the first time a different part of the song has been sung in the ed. I'm fairly certain save Nana's instrumental ed, all the others were the first "half" and this is the first time the second "half" of the song has been performed.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Didn't really feel it this week. The two halves felt disjointed, like they needed to finish Nana's arc and decided to put the full Starlight story in there to make up the rest.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Banana's character arc is defined by her devotion to Starlight though, specifically the version they performed in the first year. Their character arcs also match the original roles they had, like Mahiru being the goddess of Jealousy and Kaoruko being the goddess of Evasion. Karen and Hikari's breaking of the time loop implies they're going off script, or at least altering the original script that Nana holds dear. You also get the comparison of how Karen and Hikari view Starlight vs how Banana views it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, the whole point of Nana's fear of moving forward is to serve as a foil and contrast to Karen's wish to break away from the limiting scripts and values systems imposed by the Revue. I felt like the pacing of this ep didn't entirely work as well as I wanted it to, but I'm more or less on board with the thematic content.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Junna comforting Nana at the end with a million quotes was extremely good

also :3:
https://twitter.com/hutakao_after/status/1039790932109869057

Knorth fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 13, 2018

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
The lead up and cut into the transformation sequence this ep was godlike. This show has just so many excellent little moments of editing and directing I want to make a longpost about it when the season's over

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Thematically, things were basically fine, but the first half felt disjointed to me on some level that I can't really put my finger on beyond "things felt flat." I think someone more knowledgeable than me could point to specific instances of direction and editing that didn't match what we had before.

Second half was very good, and the cut into the transformation was rather god-like.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Yeah, I feel the inclusion of the full Starlight doesn't mesh well. The points Allarion brought up are important, but I feel they were established and elaborated on better earlier in the show (including this episode). Almost none of the new info the play introduced helped me draw new parallels between the play and the show, bar the very heavy-handed Karen and Hikari ones, but it's probably gonna tie up better with what happens in later episodes.

It might have worked better earlier in the series, but 3/4 of the way through it kinda feels like a kinda foreshadowy recap.

Rest of the ep is all Good Nana Content tho.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I know it's probably been mentioned in thread before, but the transformation sequence is absolutely superb. I can't get over it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:yeah:

e:
https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/1041151804719996928

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Want Clockwork Omarice Bushiroad

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lol

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I started watching this and caught up over the week. Hot drat Episode 10.

Also I used to work at the Natural History Museum in London and they portrayed it pretty drat accurately! They got the Ichthyosaur Gallery down pat. It did amuse me that it showed her being in there after hours though. Any time the museum is open late it's usually packed.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Claudine and Maya are extremely good together.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
https://twitter.com/skn029/status/1041377409432342528

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

She's gunna do it, she's gunna be Top Star dammit :cry:

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
Really felt like they actually ran out of production budget this episode lol. and right after I praised the show so hard too >_>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean early on they said they were having production difficulties down the line and were asking for the help of international freelancers. Putting the blame on some nebulous “running out of budget” is a pretty callous meme and a disservice to their transparent efforts on mitigating animation issues for a project that was honestly overambitious for a tv anime to begin with.

• Locked thread