Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Fantastic first ep, and easy AOTY contender. I really hope this gets the attention it deserves.

StarlightSubs seem to be the best option going forward. They will be translating from scratch starting with ep2 instead of editing the Sentai script.

Despite all of their valid complaints about the original subs, the PAS subs have a ton of issues with them as well. The final line in the ep is particularly rough. PAS will probably release fairly late every week, and the group has a history of stalling on shows. Since it is an established fansub group, there won't be nearly as much criticism directed at their releases compared to StarlightSubs.

Additionally, the StarlightSubs people are translating both the stage play and the manga, so they are better equipped to decide between different line translations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

Me, before the season started: Well this is the show I have highest expectations for I guess.
Me, finally watching the first episode: oh it has already completely blown away my expectations and was better than I was hoping for.
This for me as well. The entire ep is really well done, but that finale was one of the coolest sequences I've ever seen.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
StarlightSubs makes it clear who sings which lines in the insert song, which I think will be important going forward. I'd recommend them for now. Hopefully PAS will adjust their approach to the songs, and I hope that Karenitwit isn't a recurring pet name. I would've preferred Bakaren to be left untranslated, but a ton of people disagree with me. It's not a perfect parallel, but the translation issue on this one line reminds me of the dilemma in monogatari subs on what to do with the wordplay of Tsukihi's catchphrase.

Both fansub groups are doing original translations from now on, and I've heard that Hidive/Sentai have been pressured to get their poo poo together. Sub wars will continue for a couple of episodes.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Ep2 StarlightSubs are out

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Short answer: It’s not for you

Longer answer: Ikuhara protégé directs an idol-ish show. Interesting direction during the ‘boring parts’ and strong animation during the action scenes. Mild hype that something really strange could happen with the plot. Music is consistently great throughout the first two eps as well.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 23, 2018

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
ACSS also edited the hidive script for ep1 iirc. I heard ACSS was originally just one guy that was planning on dropping it after Chyuu-PAS picked it up, but they got a ton of praise from the Starlight threads on /a/, and they've likely beefed up the team since ep1. ACSS is the fastest by a few hours, has a decent translation, but they have the worst typesetting of the three fansub groups. They sometimes get a bit too liberal with their translations, which makes things easier to process on a first watch but might miss nuances later on in the series.

I prefer StarlightSubs' translations so far, but they have the worst source video of the three if that matters to you. I don't notice a difference, but I'm a scrub. The typesetting is nice without drawing attention to itself. I've not noticed any significant mistakes aside from perhaps a grammatical error on Tendou Maya's line at the end of ep2. The team that is working on StarlightSubs has seen the stage play, so I'd trust them with the final say on ambiguous line reads.

Chyuu-PAS was supposed to be the saviors after hidive dropped the ball, but I did not care for a lot of their translation/localization choices for ep1 and haven't watched their ep2. They can't release until Sunday at the earliest, but they do have the best source video quality. They also have the fanciest typesetting, but I honestly thought it looked kind of gaudy during the ending of ep1 with the red sparkles for the lyrics. They might have corrected course since then. The sub group has a history of stalling/dropping shows midway through the season, but they've announced publicly that the current team does not have any of the members from the past that led to stalls.

There are upsides and downsides to all three, just make sure you skip Hidive/Sentai/HorribleSubs and you should be alright. I'm personally watching ACSS if I'm awake when it is first made available and then rewatching with StarlightSubs.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
StarlightSubs dropped out to focus on the stage play fansub since a sequel stage play is starting next month. They said they would work on the blu-ray releases when they come out.

ACSS and Chyuu-PAS use the same source, and I’ve heard that is causing the delay this week. Flysubs are going to be your only option for next-day subs on these last couple of episodes.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The concept for this revue was probably scaled way back in light of the production issues. It also feels like there are some little missing scenes throughout the fight. It is by no means a train-wreck, but the team may end up revisiting this episode for the blu-ray release. There is one pretty major error that will almost certainly be fixed, even if a full re-edit doesn't end up happening.

If you haven't been following along with kViN's production note updates, I highly recommend taking a look:
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/09/13/revue-starlight-production-notes-8-9/

Plot-wise, I thought this episode was fantastic. I was worried we'd have a couple more episodes of Revue fights before a potentially rushed finale between Karen and Hikari. Having an audition winner at this point feels like an excellent opportunity to reset and bring the whole cast together in preparation for the last episode. We've got time to hit a low point and build back up to a big Karen 'non non' moment.

I don't have a lot to say about it atm, but all of the Maya/Claudine stuff was great. The shot of Claudine immediately after the fight was precious.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, I don't know if it was deliberate or not, but lmao @ Mahiru's prison looking EXACTLY like the true form of Homura's desert prison from Madoka Magica: Rebellion.
Additionally, the heavy End of Evangelion vibes with Tokyo Tower on its side in the background.

I wonder if the rest of the girls are going to join in or if that pep talk was the extent of their involvement with Karen saving Hikari. There isn't a lot of time left in the show, especially if they tie things up in the 'real world' as well.

C'mon surprise season two announcement. :^)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Toalpaz posted:

I know it's dumb but endings that blend reality and supernatural frustrate me a tiny bit. That was an incredibly good conclusion though imo.

My large concern is that I want to know if their eternal stage is 'real or not'. Because it looks like Karen managed to save Hikari in the end and they both return to the real world in time for their third Starlight production. But then they're in audition battle dress again, and they mention it being eternal. Just let them be lovely stage actors in peace irl haha. It was a good conclusion and rewriting the ending was fantastic, and actually foreshadowed somewhat by Banana looking to be a scriptwriter I think.
I agree on both parts. It was a very good conclusion, and I'm happy that the show continued to look fantastic despite all the production problems behind-the-scenes.

Unless I missed something during the ending, Hikari/Karen might not have returned to the "real world". Even if this is a Revue wish, it still is a happy ending for the main characters. That said, the possibility that they are living in a false reality is a bit unsettling. I wonder if a scene in which Hikari/Karen reunite and eat with the others was cut for time, or if the ambiguity of the ending was intentional. I'm leaning towards the latter at the moment unless someone has enough evidence to prove that the epilogue occurs outside of the power of the Revue wish.

• Locked thread