Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This show is interesting and all, but I think I'm willing to wait for some fansubs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

In the same way an anime set at an elite rich private high school allows for the snootiest of ojousama characters, the setup of this show's school as the elite theater school is a perfect setting and pretense to allow anime girl egos and characterizations to go hog wild, which they are doing. Having a background in any theater (disclaimer: I've done my time in high school, both on stage and behind) only helps affirm what you are seeing as comparable to reality.

Also, the metaphor of being all friendly and working hard on the surface but being a cutthroat battle underground for a single spotlight is so goddamn apt. Part of the charm of Shirobako was that you knew you were seeing some real life poo poo being represented about the anime production industry, and the same applies here.

Sports shows are able to rank characters to the top with numerical objectivity, while these dramas can only do so with artistic subjectivity, and I'd say both are enjoyable in similar ways.

So if none of that matches what you like then it's possible you may not like this show!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

In episode 2 StarlightSubs mistranslated half-step as octave, which is such an egregious error I'd recommend other options!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Just saw (05), the jazz baseball fight scene was stylish af.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

that was one helluva way to do a cost-savings episode

all aboard the Darth Banana train toot toooooot

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

BTW, having Banana's version of the ending song last week just be instrumental was incredible. As if she was all "been there, done that, already know I'm the best, so I'm just gonna stand here with my arms crossed instead of singing".

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

(09): The ending song is so good every time, but the Junna/Nana duet version is some goddamn monster feels.

(10): Unfortunate the production issues started seeping through on this one, but at least we got this

(11): HOT BANANA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The ending was a bit dragged out, but overall solid show. It had its moments of fantastic and eh, and would've gotten a 10/10 from me if they choreographed the fight scenes to the music, but I understand that's a very tall order to make. The jazzy baseball duel is one of the most stylish and fun fight scenes I've ever seen in my life, and I won't forget it, nor the feeling of hearing the ending song each week.

• Locked thread