Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'll be jumping into it sometime this week. It's been praised along this forum for a long time and this seems like the perfect excuse to stop putting it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
One thing that kind of throws me off is the switching between Goodpasture's diaries and omniscient third-person narration; I figure he's doing the former for time-skips but it seems a bit of a wasted opportunity - at some points, the third-person descriptions feel really sterile and clinical.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like the unreliable narrators; it makes me wish he used them for the whole thing. For example I really liked the way the shootout at the O.K. Corral was handled - statements from people you know have ulterior motives for lying make all the townsfolk's various prejudices and explanations of the whole thing have much more weight since no one really knows what happened and who shot whom first.

It's the third-person stuff I'm kind of disappointed with, makes me feel the whole story would be much better if we were to doubt everyone's accounts; after all, events growing into story growing into legend and truth disappearing along the way appear to be a theme here.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I admit I did not expect to read a Western about capitalism shafting the working class.
Are Hall's other two cowboy books worth reading?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's also interesting to see the characters interact with their own legends; I particularly enjoyed Morgan's "Black Rattlesnake" bits. All in all I think Morgan was my favorite rear end in a top hat of the bunch.

• Locked thread