Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
I went through this 10 or so years ago. Some key things to be prepared for:

Pay several thousand dollars when the paperwork is filed. US citizenship is not cheap. Proof that the current US citizen is able to financially support the foreign person.

Photos/video/whatever showing proof that both people have had adventures/activities together. Pictures showing that both side's family have meet the daughter in law/son in law.

A checking account and maybe car loan in both people's name.

When going for the government interview, be drat sure you know all important dates; birthdays, marriage anniversary, etc.

Be prepared to have a government employee show up to your house 8 or 9am on a random Saturday or Sunday. They will be looking for mail delivered to the address in both people's names, proof that they both sleep in the same bed. Clothing from both people mixed in the closets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

feedmegin posted:

Um I did this ten years+ ago and having surprise visits by government goons definitely wasn't a thing. Did this actually happen to you?

Yeah, some dude knocked on our door 9am on a Saturday. We ignored him for 15 minutes thinking he was Jehovah's Witness.

I finally answered the door, and he had a camera, notepad, government ID. I was thinking "oh poo poo" I told my wife, who was still in bed in her pj's, to get dressed in case he was here to take her away. She had been in the USA for 6 years illegally before we got married. I was scared. :lol:

e:
In hindsight, I think our interviewer didn't believe us. It doesn't help that I'm a fat, pasty-white nerd and she is a tall, model looking African.

SA Forums Poster fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 21, 2018

• Locked thread