Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black potus
Jul 13, 2006
HELLO IT'S TIME FOR ME TO RUN A STUPID TOURNAMENT POORLY FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT!

The format this time is a riff on some bullshit called Ancient that a guy with a blogspot made up. The premise is this: cards whose first printing was in an old border set are the card pool, but with a Legacyish banlist. This means Alpha through Scourge and the various flavors of Portal and Starter and etc.

Tournament format will be Swiss rounds (based on playerbase) with the option to change your deck each week, followed by a cut to top 8 with the same deck switchability. Let's brew some dope poo poo! All matches will be best of 3.

Post in this thread to register, I'll start the festivities on the 22th of July (just shy of two weeks from now). Also, I'm gonna dig through my collection to find something neat for prize support, but if you wanna contribute too it will be welcome!

Banlist is as follows. Key differences from the Legacy banlist are Survival of the Fittest, Tinker, and Flash are not banned because the targets are a lot worse:
All Conspiracies
Amulet of Quoz
Ancestral Recall
Balance
Bazaar of Baghdad
Black Lotus
Black Vise
Bronze Tablet
Channel
Chaos Orb
Contract from Below
Darkpact
Demonic Attorney
Demonic Consultation
Demonic Tutor
Earthcraft
Falling Star
Fastbond
Frantic Search
Goblin Recruiter
Gush
Hermit Druid
Imperial Seal
Jeweled Bird
Library of Alexandria
Mana Crypt
Mana Drain
Mana Vault
Memory Jar
Mind Twist
Mind's Desire
Mishra's Workshop
Mox Emerald
Mox Jet
Mox Pearl
Mox Ruby
Mox Sapphire
Mystical Tutor
Necropotence
Oath of Druids
Rebirth
Shahrazad
Sol Ring
Strip Mine
Tempest Efreet
Time Vault
Time Walk
Timetwister
Timmerian Fiends
Tolarian Academy
Vampiric Tutor
Wheel of Fortune
Windfall
Worldgorger Dragon
Yawgmoth's Bargain
Yawgmoth's Will

I believe this is all but I'll post more if I remember that I forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I'm going to hold on bans for this one, but I'm planning to do more so anything that proves super busted this time will get the axe.

Also promos of cards originally printed post-Scourge aren't legal even if they're old frame. Just to be clear. No Bob sorry!!

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Hellsau posted:

Yeah High Tide with 4x Candelabra and 4x Merchant Scroll and 4x Time Spiral is rather consistent.

For the moment I say run it and kick some teeth in. If the format gets too bad I can hotswap the ban list but I wanna lock it in as in the OP. I’m willing to believe my list is horribly wrong but I also feel like we could tweak it to death and I’d rather just play and fix stuff that’s degenerate.

I’d like to keep running this past the first season so there’s ample time to fix things.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Not gonna ban anything else until after week 1. My foot is down. I can't pick it up.

I don't want to ban things for the following reasons:
1) Bans are not fun! If a card isn't provably degenerate, then in the abstract I'd rather have it than not. Week 1 will give us concrete evidence.
2) I don't really want to tweak the list ad nauseum because all I can really do is gut check people's assertions at this point and ain't nobody got time for that.
4) I dunno something for the rule of threes.

If people are concerned, we can do week one as a welcome week of sorts that won't impact future pairings/standings and see if anything is drastically overperforming. But I'm also ok with people using this tournament to prove poo poo's busted and force my hand and ruin people's days because I'm fundamentally a bad dude.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

Okay I've finalized a deck. Are we posting lists before the thing starts or going in blind?

Blind!

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Actually, gonna set up a discord: https://discord.gg/Bfffzwh

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Challonge link for the tournament, please sign up if you wanna play: https://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/DW3ULJBdUS

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
YOOO please sign up on the challonge so I don't have to bookkeep by hand because I am bad at it, there are 6 people on there of 16 posters in the thread and 11 people in the discord !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Round 1 pairings:

black potus vs TheLawinator
TheShortestPath vs Jobert
Madtrixer vs InterrupterJones
Elyv vs Hellsau

FIGHT by next sunday or when all the games are in.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
You should be able to submit results in challonge, if not I can add them.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Rd 2 pairings:
SoftNum v TheShortestPath
black potus (hey that's me) vs InterruptorJones
Elyv vs Jobert
Madtrixr vs TheLawinator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
IT'S TIME