Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

tino posted:

I believe the Qualcomm/nxp purchase deadline is tomorrow. China still has not approved it yet. If China cockblock Qualcomm, that means the ZTE deal was not a understanding between US and China, and the trade war rage on.

Beijing is going to kill the chicken to show up the monkey.

China should just claim national security concerns and cockblock away. Seems to be standard operations for any attempt by a Chinese company to acquire a foreign company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

BrandorKP posted:

I agree and should have included you in my wording, the point is there are some stops up for passing the costs down. It doesn't sound like these costs are working thier way all the way down the supply chain to the consumer. The rhetoric from people like Wilbur Ross assumes that these costs are passing all the way through.

A lot of companies are reluctant to pass the cost down to the end customer. Short term they would rather take a hit on profits, however if this continues then yes it'll eventually be passed down.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

tino posted:

I follow ebike news, some of the vendors are saying the price will be $100 higher post tariff. That's about 5-10% of the bike cost. Even company like Oyama which is a Taiwanese company.

That cuz a lot of the Taiwan bike brands do production in China. 5-10% makes sense as well if you consider that they will try to pass on part of the cost to the end user while making the hit to themselves slightly less. Everyone suffers a little as opposed to one guy getting hosed.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Why is Japan’s gdp shrinking in that animation while everyone else is more or less increasing? Decreasing population?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

luxury handset posted:

and on top of all this, the relatively recent legacy of the opium wars and western intervention in china's economy and domestic politics means that it's easy to cast trump's unilaterally imposed tariffs as neocolonialist bullying. so any economic pain may be easier to bear in terms of who is to blame for the pain. from the american perspective, the explanation of bad trade practices from china is muddier and less convincing as your china-oriented import/export business suffers

Also, why is trade imbalance a thing, isn't that how you know capitalism works.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

tino posted:

Was China the one that initiated the latest round of trade warring? If so was China planning it under the disguise of cease fire?

Since the tariffs are entirely one sided trade war onus is on the US.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
The American public is apparently too dumb to realize that tariffs are effectively a tax raise. I guess if you hammer the point that China, or Mexico, or whoever is gonna pay the tariffs people believe you despite facts.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
LoL, 4 dimensional chess!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-blasts-proposed-restrictions-china-165449642.html

quote:

Trump blasts proposed restrictions on selling U.S. jet parts to China
In a series of tweets on Tuesday, Trump said national security should not be used as an "excuse" to make it difficult for foreign countries to buy U.S. products.

"The United States cannot, & will not, become such a difficult place to deal with in terms of foreign countries buying our product, including for the always used National Security excuse, that our companies will be forced to leave in order to remain competitive," Trump wrote on Twitter.

"As an example, I want China to buy our jet engines, the best in the World," he added. Trump later said before departing to California that, "things have been put on my desk that have nothing to do with national security, including chipmakers."

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Oh yeah those things are definitely being felt.

But cost per 40’ container went from roughly the same, like 1.5 to 2 grand for either to 9 grand for Asia to Europe vs 4 grand to Asia to US West Coast.

I’m betting East Coast is probably in line with Europe. This is a huge relative advantage for US West coast supply chains, even if things are worse for everybody.

Great incentive to ship by rail from China to Europe. We shipped by that method a few times the last 2 years, but I can see it increasing this year. Used to be shipping by sea was cheaper with much slower speed, I'm willing to bet the price is similar now with much faster rail service.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Careful if your warehouses or subcontractors are used to one mode and then switch to another. I used to see companies all the time try to ship by vessel, using providers only familiar with trucking even for things like haz. They eventually get hosed.

Ocean to anything else is probably okay because ocean is the hardest to secure for, but there are a couple of cargos i can think of that would be fine on a vessel that rail fucks right up. Statues are an best example.

Yea definitely different shipping via rail as opposed to ocean. Speaking of which, what’s going on with all the containers being lost at sea these past few months. Seems unusually high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I'm assuming this is gonna further blow up asia -> WEU sea freight costs? Re-routing around the cape must be +2wks vs the canal and the sudden jump in transit times sure must not help.

Guess it's more incentive to ship by rail the next few months.