Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Xander77 posted:

Sorry if I was unclear. I wasn't talking about "if you slap tariffs on us, we'll slap tariffs on you".

I'm talking about the basic premise of "if we have a trade deficit with someone, that someone is taking advantage of us".

I am not an economist so grain of salt : trade deficit (or surplus) is the difference between total cost of imports and total cost of exports for a country. It's a neutral term; It describes a general fact about the economy.
Having a trade deficit isn't necessarily good or bad.

Reasons you could have a trade deficit include being a service oriented economy (like the US) or being rich as gently caress (like the US). Trying to balance them is silly for the same reason we don't try and trade homegrown produce for a new Xbox, i.e. money is a thing.

Trump is antsy about about the trade deficit because a) he's a broke-brained moron who thinks literally all human interactions are zero sum and b) his dementia addled capitalist brain can't conceptualize that you can NOT be selling overpriced crap to other people and still be financially solvent.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Not sure they need 67 Ds, Trump's tariffs haven't been going over great with the business wing of the GOP