Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Sharp Objects is my new favourite show. I definitely feel its True Detective Season One s2. I'm starting to realize I'm a sucker for Southern Gothic.
-the mum reminds me of Six Feet Under mum. And also a mum or two I know in rl ha. ga! almost from the first couple seconds of her on the show I knew she was a highly toxic person surrounded by enablers. boundaries, amy adams! boundaries!
-the town is really well established as a small rear end place. when everybody is connected and has multiple social roles. again, relatable.
-religion hasn't really played a big role in this as southern gothics go.
-i would say more but its v early in the morning here in nz.
-watch this show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Lampsacus posted:

Sharp Objects is my new favourite show. I definitely feel its True Detective Season One s2. I'm starting to realize I'm a sucker for Southern Gothic.
-the mum reminds me of Six Feet Under mum. And also a mum or two I know in rl ha. ga! almost from the first couple seconds of her on the show I knew she was a highly toxic person surrounded by enablers. boundaries, amy adams! boundaries!
-the town is really well established as a small rear end place. when everybody is connected and has multiple social roles. again, relatable.
-religion hasn't really played a big role in this as southern gothics go.
-i would say more but its v early in the morning here in nz.
-watch this show!

She was on 6FU! But holy heck Ruth wasn't anything like her in Sharp Objects.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Oof, this show took a quick turn into schlock tonight. Can we please put a moratorium on Munchausen by proxy as a literary device? It's reached a point of over-representation with it where it's hoary chliche on level with retrograde amnesia.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Man I didn't see that coming.

I guess the step-dad's weirdness with the music is just him willfully ignoring what she's doing?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

El Jeffe posted:

Man I didn't see that coming.

I guess the step-dad's weirdness with the music is just him willfully ignoring what she's doing?

I think everyone is coping in their own way. Honestly I think he's terrified.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

I think everyone is coping in their own way. Honestly I think he's terrified.

I can see that. This whole time he's seemed creepy but he's actually just on edge being married to a poisoner.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

General Dog posted:

Oof, this show took a quick turn into schlock tonight. Can we please put a moratorium on Munchausen by proxy as a literary device? It's reached a point of over-representation with it where it's hoary chliche on level with retrograde amnesia.

I'm at a loss trying to think of another recentish novel where MSbP is the critical lynch-pin of the story. The novel/miniseries was likely inspired by a popular non-fictional account of MSbP that came out a few years before called Sickened that outlined a victim's systemic abuse at the hands of her mother and her father's apathetic negligence on the matter.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

"Schlock" is the essence of this show though, and of pretty much all of Gillian Flynn's work.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

El Jeffe posted:

I can see that. This whole time he's seemed creepy but he's actually just on edge being married to a poisoner.

Now you know how Michael Scott felt with Jan.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm at a loss trying to think of another recentish novel where MSbP is the critical lynch-pin of the story. The novel/miniseries was likely inspired by a popular non-fictional account of MSbP that came out a few years before called Sickened that outlined a victim's systemic abuse at the hands of her mother and her father's apathetic negligence on the matter.

I think you're probably right and I'm struggling for examples but my reaction was also 'Really? AGAIN?' so I dunno.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

It seems like something that might have shown up as a story element in a case-of-the-week procedural like House or Law and Order, or even X-Files, maybe more than once. I have a vague recollection of Gillian Anderson explaining what it is in an exasperated voice, but that could be a garbled version of like a dozen different scenes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It was showing up as early as The Sixth Sense

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Well, I'm showing my rear end here for the book readers, but I still don't really believe Adora is the murderer.

Suspect Power rankings, going into the last week

1. Amma/Amma's friends/some collection of HS girls
2. The sheriff
3. Adora
4. The detective

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
They telegraphed it really hard that Camille was going to gently caress and then get busted loving the high schooler, then they throw in the obligatory after the fact he's actually 18 so it wasn't illegal, still hosed up though. I found the scene very tense and I was cringing the entire time. Very uncomfortable to watch.

eclectic taste
Jun 5, 2004

Future Schmidt
MSbP must be a trope, because as soon as Adora started giving Camille medication my mind immediately went there.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
You guys holy smokes it's the mom.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Count me as someone who has also never seen it used as a plot device in literally any other thing before. I’d only heard of it because of Eminem’s mom

also reminder this is an adaptation of a 12 year old book

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I'm not sure Adora's guilt is meant to be a twist so much as a confirmation. This episode felt like the monster stepping out of the shadows at the end of the horror movie. The horror is that it's been there the whole time.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 20, 2018

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
Here's my stupid theory about who's helping the murderer:

In one of the earlier episodes when we find out the girls' teeth were pulled out with pliers, there's a shot of the police chief fixing a stop sign with a pair of pliers

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How did she write so legibly on her own back, or arrange the letters so well?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

th3t00t posted:

They telegraphed it really hard that Camille was going to gently caress and then get busted loving the high schooler, then they throw in the obligatory after the fact he's actually 18 so it wasn't illegal, still hosed up though. I found the scene very tense and I was cringing the entire time. Very uncomfortable to watch.

I still don’t get his living situation. His crazy cheerleader girlfriend who is in high school owns the house and he’s the only source of income? And they have a pool?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's her parents' house. How the parents are okay with this is unclear.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

General Dog posted:

That couch handjob scene just got a million times more uncomfortable.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

i <3 this show

figured adora was up to something, or had done something awful in the past, from a couple of episodes in, so glad my initial suspicions seemed sound lmao

really looking forward to reading the book after next week

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

General Dog posted:

eh they live in the pool/guest house out back. not that uncommon.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This show makes no sense. In the real world if not one but two pretty little white girls were brutally murdered by a serial killer the entire national media would descend upon the town like a swarm of locusts along with teams of state and federal investigators. You wouldn’t need to coerce one reporter to go cover it and it definitely wouldn’t be up to the podunk local sheriff and one big city detective to solve the case.

But aside from that the show is pretty good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I know the show isn’t really structured like a murder mystery—or the one murder that mattered to the story was solved last episode—but I want to vote for Amma and her roller skate friends as the killers. This last episode presented them as omnipresent and creepy with stony faces. I’ll say Amma’s got like a Charles Manson hold on her friends and the killing is linked to episodes where the mom poisons her. Or Amma and the mom bond by going out and killing a kid after a poisoning episode. Or maybe Amma is like a Charles Manson to the mom and reasserts her power by getting the mom to do the killings.

I don’t know, but Amma and her friends are creepy and one big showcase set piece of the series was Amma getting high and telling Amy Adams that she had trouble manipulating girls and viewed all interactions with others as zero-sum games of manipulation, so that’s probably a big part of the resolution of the series.

Can’t wait to be totally wrong because I missed something obvious!

Quinoa
Sep 16, 2007
Perpetrating a Fraud
I have not read the book - but the cheerleader girlfriend is definitely guilty.
The boy arrested had bite marks as a defensive wound from Natalie- who I think was one of the dead girls.
The cheerleader had half of her ear bitten off.
If she didn’t do it then she for sure helped.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Quinoa posted:

I have not read the book - but the cheerleader girlfriend is definitely guilty.

Yeah there's gotta be something there unless she's a massive red herring. I'm pretty sure the brother had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They inserted a whole scene of her being crazy about cleaning the house because the brother didn’t nut on her that hasn’t paid off yet. I think it’s the only scene with her not from Amy Adams’ point of view.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 25, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

business hammocks posted:

They inserted a whole scene of her being crazy about cleaning the house because the brother didn’t nut on her that hasn’t paid off yet. I think it’s the only scene with her not from Amy Adams’ point of view.

Yeah, specifically that she saw a big red stain under his bed IIRC

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Couldn't get into this week-to-week but binged the whole thing over the weekend and can't wait to watch the finale tomorrow. It's a really good show. Really beautifully put together. I enjoy the relationship that Camile and her boss have over the phone. You can really feel the distance and the desperation. I know they're schlocky or whatever but I enjoy Gillian Flynn's stories and especially the adaptations we get out of them!

e: Huh I didn't know Dark Places got an adaptation. Shame it doesn't sound like it was any good. Too soon for a remake with Flynn involved?

nomapple fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 26, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I love murder/mystery schlock and Flynn does it v well, and has a leg up because she seems to love flawed and monstrous female protags as much as I do.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

nomapple posted:

e: Huh I didn't know Dark Places got an adaptation. Shame it doesn't sound like it was any good. Too soon for a remake with Flynn involved?

Unfortunately, I found it really disappointing. I love Sharp Objects, and Gone Girl is one of my favorite movies of the decade (and either my second- or third-favorite Fincher movie, depending on the day).

What was the deal with Utopia, an HBO series Flynn and Fincher were supposed to develop together? I know very little about it, but it sounded like a weird noir thing, maybe dystopian, possibly a psychological thriller, possibly some sci-fi or horror elements, and I don't know how we could have gone wrong with that. But it fell apart in preproduction, or HBO passed on it, or something?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nomapple posted:

I'm gonna watch it anyway because Charlize Theron and Nicholas Holt are both fantastic. It can't be that bad.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

I'm gonna watch it anyway because Charlize Theron and Nicholas Holt are both fantastic. It can't be that bad.

hell, :same:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

:stare: that credits scene

What a fantastic (mini)series, definitely gonna watch it again for those things I missed first time around.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Finally dropping the beat on In The Evening was A+.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

That was a good rear end cut to credits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Good loving lord what an ending.

• Locked thread