Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Great ending. Really enjoyed the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Having the director explain it right after the credits was really lame on HBO’s part

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
For those that may have missed it, there's some important poo poo spliced in the middle of the credits and a little thing at the very end of the credits.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Acquilae posted:

:stare: that credits scene

What a fantastic (mini)series, definitely gonna watch it again for those things I missed first time around.

show delivered, will definitely rewatch at some point

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

qbert posted:

For those that may have missed it, there's some important poo poo spliced in the middle of the credits and a little thing at the very end of the credits.

It doesn’t really convey any additional information except her friends were in on it?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
You knew it was coming with Amma once the episode was only half over when Adora was arrested but even still, that was one hell of an ending. She looked terrifying in that mid-credits scene. This show wasn't high art or anything but it had good performances, great directing (all those quick edit flashbacks were really effective), killer mood & atmosphere.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

el oso posted:

You knew it was coming with Amma once the episode was only half over when Adora was arrested but even still, that was one hell of an ending. She looked terrifying in that mid-credits scene. This show wasn't high art or anything but it had good performances, great directing (all those quick edit flashbacks were really effective), killer mood & atmosphere.

:agreed:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Good finale but it was sad that Amy Adams didn't really have a lot to do the whole episode.

Tons of dangling plot threads but I expected that. I did think there would be something about her nuthouse cellmate though, that they'd confirm Camille did it or something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I’d say the only thing that really felt like it didn’t pay off was the sheriff character. Just seems like we spent a lot of time with him fo him to not really have any kind of redemptive moment or important function as the end. I guess he was just there for Camille and investigator man to have someone they could be smarter than

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

General Dog posted:

I’d say the only thing that really felt like it didn’t pay off was the sheriff character. Just seems like we spent a lot of time with him fo him to not really have any kind of redemptive moment or important function as the end. I guess he was just there for Camille and investigator man to have someone they could be smarter than

They even had the barbershop scene where Alan basically says "You're loving my wife" which I'm pretty sure I don't remember coming up before this episode.

edit: oh my God I just realized they foreshadowed the teeth when Alan bragged about the ivory floor

precision fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 27, 2018

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

General Dog posted:

I was expecting to find out he had pulled the teeth for Adora (after we saw him use pliers once to fix a sign), and helped cover everything up for her.

Oh man...
"Girls are in danger in this town."
"Not the popular ones." :D

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

precision posted:

They even had the barbershop scene where Alan basically says "You're loving my wife" which I'm pretty sure I don't remember coming up before this episode.

I haven’t read the book, but he seems like a character who was probably important enough in the book that they didn’t want to cut him out, but ended up pretty low on the priority list when it came to who they were going to spend the time to flesh out

It’s just kind of odd that we get all of these humanizing touches with his home life and his daily routine, but at the end of the show he could have just been a totally one-dimensional hayseed buffoon and it wouldn’t have made any difference.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 27, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t see why his morning routine ranks with the editor’s, Amy Adams’, or the detective’s. I guess it’s misdirection?

I never really got a sense this show was about solving the mystery or would go for a twist until it got there. I guess that last shot of Amma mid-credits is her freaking out in a psych ward or something?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

business hammocks posted:

I don’t see why his morning routine ranks with the editor’s, Amy Adams’, or the detective’s. I guess it’s misdirection?

I never really got a sense this show was about solving the mystery or would go for a twist until it got there. I guess that last shot of Amma mid-credits is her freaking out in a psych ward or something?

It was shots of her murdering her new St.Louis friend, and her and her wind gaps friends murdering the other two girls.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Developing the multiple narratives, to put us in a more fully realized world for each of the investigators - and, in the finale, showing that he wasn't waking up alone because his wife had gotten up before him, but that they had been sleeping in separate beds.

quote:

I guess that last shot of Amma mid-credits is her freaking out in a psych ward or something?

That was her right after strangling Mae.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
That true detective teaser tho :captainpop:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Eliza Scanlan is gonna be a big star after this.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

mcmagic posted:

Eliza Scanlan is gonna be a big star after this.

Came here to post this. Will be huge and get leading offers between her ability and look.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
The scenes with Amy Adam's character being made sick by her mother, their interactions, and small behaviors have made me question a lot of my childhood. Holy gently caress that was surreal to watch.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this series. Hoping for more single season good shows with these performances. Stayed just long enough to be interesting and did not wear out its welcome.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

drat, that was really good. Coming into the episode I had felt like we were going to discover an adora/Amma tag team as the culprits. Adora with the actual killing via poisoning and Amma with the maiming and teeth pulling afterward to work out her very apparent anger issues. But seeing the reveal that Amma was responsible for it all was pretty shocking.

Adora....good ?

No, Adora still bad, but probably not "jailed for the rest of her life" bad.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I was so full of dread when Camille sat down to that creepy family dinner, especially after Alan raised his voice and commanded her to sit, the first time he ever did anything that wasn't completely passive. I was cringing, just waiting for her to get poisoned by the first bite of food or sip of liquid, and figured at that point all three of them were in on the murders together and were going to somehow torture Camille. It seemed like by that point, she should have been aware of what Adora did to her and especially to Marian, so I wondered why she relented to drinking the milk, and then relented more to taking so much of Adora's "medicine." I wondered if she wanted to die at that point, or wanted to experience what Marian and Amma had been through.

But in Camille's situation, with such a toxic history with her family, I always wondered why she stayed in the house with them at all, opening herself up to so much more pain and suffering, when there was at least one motel in Wind Gap.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
She took the poison because she had to, to appease her mother so she'd leave Amma alone (and so she could try to get her mother to confess)

precision fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 27, 2018

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Gluten Freeman posted:

First episode was extremely promising. I remember the end of the book ([spoilers]THE TEETH[/spoilers]) but not most of the journey there, so it's a nice mix of knowing and not knowing what's going to happen.

Lol just reading back through the thread and realised I messed up my spoilers here. Sorry!!!

But yeah the last few pages were my main memory of the books and I love the way they did it here. Totally horrific. Sort of wish we had more of the follow through on how it affected Camille, but still fantastic.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 27, 2018

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Iodised QQ posted:

drat, that was really good. Coming into the episode I had felt like we were going to discover an adora/Amma tag team as the culprits. Adora with the actual killing via poisoning and Amma with the maiming and teeth pulling afterward to work out her very apparent anger issues. But seeing the reveal that Amma was responsible for it all was pretty shocking.

Adora....good ?

No, Adora still bad, but probably not "jailed for the rest of her life" bad.

Don't forget, Adora murdered Marian through extended poisoning. She absolutely belongs in prison.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I binged through this over the last week, and got caught up in time to catch the finale. I had suspicions it was Adora from pretty early on, but completely overlooked Amma until the reveal at the end. Even during the mid-credits scene, I had to watch it a couple times to see if it was the three girls, or if it was Amma and Adora.

Amma I figured just acted out because she had an overbearing mom. I figured Adora did all the killings because she had a connection with all of them, and wanted to make herself be like the town mom, there to console everyone as they dealt with the grief that she caused. Like the whole show, it did get a little repetitive at times showing how much pain everyone was causing each other, but it's a minor complaint. I would expect Emmy nominations for the three female leads.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

General Dog posted:

Yeah, felt like all that screen time he got turned out to be a bit of a red herring.

The other part that I'm still not clear on is how Curry knew to show up at Casa Strychnine with the police. Are we to assume that Willis called him up?

Anyway, great ambience and tension all season long. Amma is a sufficiently creepy killer, and one of the story's strengths lies in the way the psycho/guilty mom + willfully ignorant dad storyline paved the way for the conditions necessary for Amma to do what she did.

The loose ending is a decent way for things to finish, but leaves it up to us to speculate about some unresolved issues...like the psychology behind how Amma chose "intelligent, headstrong young woman with a bright future" as her victim archetype.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 27, 2018

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Vernacular posted:

Yeah, felt like all that screen time he got turned out to be a bit of a red herring.

The other part that I'm still not clear on is how Curry knew to show up at Casa Strychnine with the police. Are we to assume that Willis called him up?

Anyway, great ambience and tension all season long. Amma is a sufficiently creepy killer, and one of the story's strengths lies in the way the psycho/guilty mom + willfully ignorant dad storyline paved the way for the conditions necessary for Amma to do what she did.

The loose ending is a decent way for things to finish, but leaves it up to us to speculate about some unresolved issues...like the psychology behind how Amma chose "intelligent, headstrong young woman with a bright future" as her victim archetype.

I assume that Curry is the one who told the police about the whole thing. Camille tells Curry that it was her mother who killed the girls before she goes home to get poisoned. I assumed that he immediately hopped in the car and drove down there, and he knew to talk to Richard because he knew that Camille trusted him way more than the sheriff.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think the focus on the sheriff is part red herring, part a vessel to show how routine and ineffective the local law was, and that the case would have gone nowhere.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I also think it tied in with Adora always befriending the cops. She tried to get in with Richard too, and it seemed like a tool to make sure no one ever questioned her. Small town cops, well cops in general, are bad at looking at people they think are their friends. Just another piece of how multiple people knew, or were suspicious, of Adora, but she was able to keep everyone quiet.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Wow, definitely loved the noir, small town vibe of the show and the ending caught me off guard. Can't wait to go back and binge re-watch this again. There was so much to absorb especially with the flashbacks and hallucinations.

As a teenager I was a minor cutter and a major alcoholic/addict, Adam's portrayal is disturbing. I've been sober almost 30 years but that pain turned inward self-destructive was haunting.It is no wonder why they put those public service warnings and help line numbers after the show.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ShakeZula posted:

Don't forget, Adora murdered Marian through extended poisoning. She absolutely belongs in prison.

Or a Mental Hospital at least.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

JethroMcB posted:

Developing the multiple narratives, to put us in a more fully realized world for each of the investigators - and, in the finale, showing that he wasn't waking up alone because his wife had gotten up before him, but that they had been sleeping in separate beds.

They slept in the same bed, she was in bed behind him when he woke up. The power had gone out and he woke up sweaty (with the fans and ac off) and late, since the alarm didn't wake his wife before him. The power kicks in after he leaves and the same fan he looked at upon waking up wakes his wife with the noise. It was just showing a different/off routine to his normal one that coincided with this fateful day of having to bring in Adora. The moment with Alan also shows the sheriff being a little suspicious of Adora, still, after the past episode or so had him clearly questioning whether she had anything to do with the girls when Marian has been brought up again. You can see it when he asks Alan how Amma is because her friends said she was sick.

Anyway I liked that little moment of him waking up a lot. It suited how off the day must have been for everyone. Though I did miss having the obligatory Patsy Cline song.

precision posted:

edit: oh my God I just realized they foreshadowed the teeth when Alan bragged about the ivory floor

Nah the stuff with Alan and the sheriff had come up plenty before before, it just wasn't a super prominent storyline and more a bit of flavour between the two. It was pretty clear Alan was jealous of the attention Adora paid the sheriff when he would come to visit, and the two were clearly very close. I personally don't think they were sleeping with eachother but Alan surely thought they were, which was fueled even moreso by the fact Adora p much seems to never throw him a bone.

also lmao you really wish Camille had killed someone <3

This finale was loving great. The only downside I really have to it is wishing it had been just a little bit longer, since it was split up between the Adora stuff and then the Amma stuff later. But it didn't feel rushed, or anything-- I just wanted more Sharp Objects!

I don't think there were too many dropped threads/bad red herrings or anything, at least for me. A lot of it is pretty self explanatory imo. The only thing I'm curious about is if Amma killed Natalie in Ashley's carriage house purposefully to throw the scent off, or if it just happened that way when the girls were having one of their pool days since it seems p clear they all hung out there at times. (e: i guess the book goes into more detail w/ this and makes me look forward to finally reading it even more!!)

I was definitely suspicious of Amma and her friends for much of the season, but it threw me off with the reveal that Adora was indeed up to some hosed up poo poo. Then my mind switched fully to 'Adora is luring these girls and has someone (though I never suspected Alan or the sheriff, oddly) helping her with the bodies'. I honestly assumed it might have ended up being some one-off dude we saw on their pig farm. Once she was behind bars though and we switched over to Camille and Amma in St Louis, and Amma befriending a new girl, that dread just loving crept up on me and I knew she had to be the killer-- the teeth was just a fuckin' beautiful moment to nail it home.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 27, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vernacular posted:

The sheriff worked as a red herring (with the pliers and his closeness to Adora), a view into how fuckin lazy and bad local law enforcement can be in a situation where someone in the town is guilty of something terrible-- especially someone law enforcement is friendly with-- as well as simply being there for Camille and the detective to buck up against while they're trying to do some serious investigation. I liked him a lot, especially since it seemed like he was coming around to realizing this all had to tie to the Preaker girls, somehow. Just because he wasn't directly tied into the murder itself doesn't make him a useless character imo. He gave a lot of flavour to Wind Gap in general.

Also it's already been addressed but ya it was pretty clear Curry rushed down to Wind Gap once it was clear Camille was in danger after their last phone call, and told law enforcement (probably specifically Willis) to go to Adora's house.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmaoing at all these articles implying the killer wasn't revealed til the end credits scenes (which need to be explained???), as if the teeth and 'Don't tell Mama' following the ominous af behaviour from Amma after Adora's arrest weren't enough to hammer it home lmbo

man people are dumb

e: my grammar's real bad when i'm still waking up!!

esperterra fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 27, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

esperterra posted:

lmaoing at all these articles implying the killer wasn't revealed til the end credits scenes (which need to be explained???), as if the teeth and 'Don't tell Mama' followed by the ominous af behaviour from Amma after Adora's arrest weren't enough to hammer it home lmbo

man people are dumb

It's the "they were dead the whole time?" of our times. The reveal was perfectly done and perfectly clear.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's the "they were dead the whole time?" of our times. The reveal was perfectly done and perfectly clear.

Yeah, it was so perfect I honestly didn't even bother with the credits til I saw in the thread someone mentioning scenes in it lol. I liked the end credits scenes a lot, a nice touch esp since I guess the book goes into more detail about just how Amma killed all the girls, so it's probably a good little nod to book readers.

Think I'ma pick up a copy asap.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I knew it was Amma! She was just so creepy. It's kinda weird that they didn't find the teeth though until the very end.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

lmaoing at all these articles implying the killer wasn't revealed til the end credits scenes (which need to be explained???), as if the teeth and 'Don't tell Mama' following the ominous af behaviour from Amma after Adora's arrest weren't enough to hammer it home lmbo

man people are dumb

e: my grammar's real bad when i'm still waking up!!

I knew it was Amma as soon as she started befriending the new girl in St. Louis. There's the shot of her pretending to put her head in a noose, the part where she snaps and says "You're just showing off for Camille", etc.

edit: I mean actually I thought it was probably Amma when she was giving Camille Ecstasy and creating weird sexual tension between them, because nothing is a more surefire indicator of who the killer is than "vague homoerotic incest" in these kinds of stories lmao

edit2: on a metatextual level, obviously I knew that Adora was innocent when she got arrested with almost 30 minutes of episode to go because I could tell this wasn't the kind of story to have 30 minutes of "yep, she did it" without a TWIST!!!

precision fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 27, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The tension racketing up as her new friend was getting praise from Camille and Curry was so drat palpable. Amma's motivator seems to be jealousy of girls getting the attention she wants, like the girls back home being so loved by Adora/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

The tension racketing up as her new friend was getting praise from Camille and Curry was so drat palpable. Amma's motivator seems to be jealousy of girls getting the attention she wants, like the girls back home being so loved by Adora/etc.

The story is basically Mother/Maiden/Crone in a small town world.

• Locked thread