Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

WALL-E is 100% the best Pixar and I do find it weird I never see it mentioned anywhere

I agree, but Inside Out is right next to it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Wall-E is definitely peak pixar but its toy potential is probably bottom tier. Wall-E the character is certainly a major accomplishment, but Wall-E the plush doll? He's like a cube and you know, not really cuddly and stuff. His character is also more subtle, and less suave so not exactly as attractive to kids to play with.

So, not as cuddly as Nemo or Ratatouille, and not as fun as cars.

It's unfortunate but understandable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Here's my decade by decade list(Runner up in parenthesis):

30s: Bride of Frankenstein(Stagecoach)
40s: My Darling Clementine(The Third Man)
50s: The Searchers(Vertigo)
60s: Lawrence of Arabia(The Good the Bad and the Ugly)
70s: Alien(Halloween)
80s: Ghostbusters(Raiders of the Lost Ark)
90s: Jurassic Park(The Silence of the Lambs)
2000s: There Will Be Blood(Pan's Labyrinth)
2010s :Mad Max: Fury Road(Grand Budapest Hotel)

The Halloween/Alien decision was probably the hardest, I love them both so much but the production design of Alien put it over the top.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
20s: Passion of Joan of Arc (Phantom Carriage)
30s: Vampyr (M)
40s: Rope (The Red Shoes)
50s: The Music Room (Mr Hulot's Holiday)
60s: Cleo from 5 to 7 (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?)
70s: Autumn Sonata (A Woman Under the Influence)
80s: Drowning by Numbers (Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown)
90s: Double Life of Veronique (A Brighter Summer Day)
00s: Punch-Drunk Love (Songs from the Second Floor)
10s: Marjorie Prime (Nymphomaniac)

god it's like trying to pick your favorite kids

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

WALL-E is 100% the best Pixar and I do find it weird I never see it mentioned anywhere

Agreed Wall-e is when Pixar reached their creative and imaginative peak (though I haven't seen insideout yet). It's such a cute, uplifting movie with a message that is surprisingly topical and has grown even more so. The world elects a CEO as President who then proceeds to wreck the Earth's environment so bad that everyone escapes to space, but is so tuned into social media and instant gratification that they've lost basic human emotionally abilities, such as finding love? Yea that definitely can apply to today's environment.

But aside from that, it's a love story that (especially the first 20-30mins) is told entirely without dialogue, and through it's beautiful visual splendor and it's amazing soundtrack. This may sound lame as well, but I remember the summer it came out I broke up with a girl I had been dating in University, and I ended up seeing WallE 4 times in theaters because it made me so incredibly happy each and every single time. That movie helped me move on lol.

The "Define Dancing" scene is still one of the most beautiful moments I've ever seen in cinema, and I'll fight anyone who tells me I'm wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPW3mvAN0Rc

Also the ending hit's me especially hard every time because my own father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's not long after. And the scene where Eve excitedly says Walle's name after repairing him and he just blankly looks at her with no recognition - gently caress. I know that feeling :(

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 30, 2018

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
updated to add shorts & runner-ups

china bot posted:

1920s: Seven Chances + The Fall of the House of Usher (short) (Nanook of the North)
1930s: M + The Fourth Dimension (short) (Duck Soup)
1940s: Unfaithfully Yours + Blood of the Beasts (short) (Citizen Kane)
1950s: North by Northwest + Window Water Baby Moving (short) (Sunset Boulevard)
1960s: 2001 + Allures (short) (Head)
1970s: Being There + Hedgehog in the Fog (short) (Nashville)
1980s: Akira + The Dante Quartet (short) (Blue Velvet)
1990s: Magnolia + Outer Space (short) (Schizopolis)
2000s: Me and You and Everyone We Know + The Heart of the World (short) (The Squid and the Whale)
2010s: Margaret (3-hour cut) + Soft Palate (short) (The Future)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Ok.

00s: The Impossible Voyage (A Trip to the Moon)
10s: Intolerance (The Cameraman's Revenge)
20s: Greed (The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari)
30s: Stagecoach (Vampyr)
40s: Children of Paradise (Brief Encounter)
50s: House on Haunted Hill (Nights of Cabiria)
60s: 2001: A Space Odyssey (The Exterminating Angel)
70s: Taxi Driver (Eraserhead)
80s: Amadeus (L'Argent)
90s: Satantango (Fargo)
00s: There Will Be Blood (Werckmeister Harmonies)
10s: The Turin Horse (Whiplash)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Hell, why not?

Pre-1910: A Trip to the Moon (not exactly spoiled for choice here)
1910s: Les Vampires
1920s: Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
1930s: La Grande Illusion
1940s: Casablanca
1950s: The Night of the Hunter
1960s: The Human Condition
1970s: Nashville
1980s: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
1990s: Drunken Master II
2000s: Werckmeister Harmonies
2010s: Calvary

Though my personal top 10 would probably be dominated by the 1950s. That was an insanely good decade for world cinema.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

I'm typically inclined to answe this question with Vertigo, but maybe that's just because it's the movie I've watched the most times and think the most about. I love it because it almost always feels like new things about it have revealed themselves to me on successive viewings, like the way that the distance between Midge and Scottie increases visually until she's eventually gone from the movie entirely, or the way that Madeline/Judy wakes up naked in Scottie's bed after he rescues her from the bay making clear that he undressed her and put her there but implying that he either raped her while she was unconscious or fondled/ogled/what have you her unconscious body... but of course Judy is from the beginning "acting" as Madeline so who's to say she wasn't "acting" unconscious as Scottie did this? And then she falls for him anyway? Just completely insane. And then later when they re-encounter each other Judy can't reconcile that Scottie is no longer obsessed with the previous performance of Madeline but the one he's bent on designing with her obsession with returning to the Madeline performance... then there's the dolly zoom being a horizontal fall rather than a vertical one, the court scene, the dream sequence, the necklace reveal, the use of green, the score, Kim Novak & Jimmy Stewart's performances, the film being about act of chase/capture/escape of an artistic object representing Hitchcock's struggles with his own work... it's almost too much to bear...

Anyway.

1890s: Workers Leaving the Factory
1900s: A Corner in Wheat
1910s: Blind Husbands
1920s: Sunrise
1930s: City Lights
1940s: How Green Was My Valley
1950s: Vertigo (or Wagon Master, The River, Journey to Italy, Lola Montes, The Crucified Lovers... god what a decade)
1960s: Gertrud
1970s: La Region Centrale
1980s: The Death of Empedocles
1990s: Antigone
2000s: Colossal Youth
2010s: Goodbye to Language

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Samuel Clemens posted:

Though my personal top 10 would probably be dominated by the 1950s. That was an insanely good decade for world cinema.
Hard to argue with this while making my own list:

1910s: Twilight of a Woman's Soul
1920s: Sherlock Jr.
1930s: Only Angels Have Wings (or Gueule d'Amour or M)
1940s: The Third Man
1950s: In a Lonely Place (or A Man Escaped or Early Summer or Singin' in the Rain)
1960s: 2001: A Space Odyssey (or Play Time)
1970s: Aguirre: The Wrath of God (or Jeanne Dielman or Taxi Driver or Stroszek)
1980s: L'Argent (or Do The Right Thing or Police Story)
1990s: Sátántangó (or Eyes Wide Shut or Miller's Crossing or The Long Day Closes)
2000s: Birth (or Syndromes and a Century)
2010s: Melancholia (or Upstream Color)

Of those listed, my pick is In a Lonely Place. A relatively underrated gem of the Golden Age with all the wit of the best screwball comedies mated to a small-scale romance infused with the grandest of tragedies. AFAIK, this is Bogart's best performance, but Gloria Grahame matches him beat-for-beat, word-for-word.

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang
I feel like the break-down by decades has helped me to remember some I might have forgotten, but I had to stop myself from listing a million movies!
1930s: Freaks (Runner up: Animal Crackers)
1940s: Casablanca
1950s: Rashomon
1960s: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Runner up: Dr. Strangelove)
1970s: Being There (Runner up: Taxi Driver)
1980s: RoboCop (Runners up: Brazil, The Thing)
1990s: Goodfellas (Runners up: Fargo, The Truman Show, But I'm a Cheerleader)
2000s: Inglourious Basterds (Runners up: Children of Men, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, The Cove)
2010s: Cloud Atlas (Runners up: Get Out, Arrival, Exit Through the Gift Shop)

The one I really feel compelled to mention above all others is The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. I didn't think I liked Westerns until the first time I saw this movie. It absolutely blew me away and still does every time I watch it. It is such a sweeping odyssey that never feels slow despite the long scenes and running time. It's packed with tension and excitement, breathtaking visuals and perhaps the best movie soundtrack of all time. The audience comes to understand so much about the characters and accompany them on a journey, both external and internal. It does all this with sparse dialogue or exposition, hell, the characters barely have names! This movie manages to offhandedly say so much about human nature without some capital-M Message distracting from the tight core of the story. After the first time I saw this movie as a preteen I became obsessed with Westerns, '70s Italian movies, etc. I was suddenly incredibly psyched to watch movies with running times of 3 hours or more. I think I connect so well with this movie because it perfectly encapsulates my artistic philosophy of working within minimalist constraints to make as grandiose a statement as possible. If I had to pick a desert island movie it would be this one, hands down.

Radio Spiricom posted:

1890s: Workers Leaving the Factory

lol come the gently caress on.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

It has movement and countermovement, onscreen and offscreen space, the seen and the unseen, labor and release, and an exploration of gender roles all in under 1 minute, what more could you possibly want from cinema?

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang
I'm trying to imagine someone getting pumped to watch "Workers Leaving the Factory."
I think this is back to the debate about "best movies" vs. "favorite movies."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
1900s: Execution of Topsy The Elephant

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Red Ryder posted:

lol come the gently caress on.
Repas de bébé all loving day, baby

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
1930s- Wizard of Oz
1940s- Its a Wonderful Life
1950s - Twelve Angry Men (im most lacking in 50s movie watching)
1960s- Easy Rider
1970s- Jaws
1980s- The Shining
1990s- Dazed and Confused
2000s- No Country for Old Men
2010s- The Artist

and comedies

1970s - Meatballs
1980s - Planes, Trains and Automobiles (Vacation a close second)
1990s- Groundhog Day (Clerks honorable mention)
2000s- Napoleon Dynamite (40 year old virgin and Superbad super close 2nds)
2010s- Bridesmaids

Also. Fav foreign language movie of all time : Memories of Murder

Fav movie of all time : Big Lebowski.

This is infuriating to do. I want to pick atleast 5 or 6 movies per decade!

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 30, 2018

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'll play that game:

1870s: Sallie Gardner at a Gallup
1880s: Roundhay Garden Scene
1890s: The Four Troublesome Heads

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

True Lies

Its the greatest action comedy ever made. Bill Paxton plays his best character as the sleazy car salesman.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Shawshank Redemption

It’s just perfect. The characters are memorable and just quotable enough without being hokey, the soundtrack is excellent, the cinematography is gorgeous, it’s got well-developed high moments and low moments, and the ending where Andy just sticks it to the warden is fantastic.

I’ve seen it a million times and it’ll never get old. When I was growing it up it used to get shown on TNT constantly because it’s Ted Turner’s favorite movie, and every time I was flipping through channels and stumbled across it, I’d watch it to the end. The house could have been burning down and if I walked past a TV and it was playing, I’m confident I would have sat down and watched Shawshank as the flames consumed me. It’s just such a good movie.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

1880s: Traffic Crossing Leeds Bridge
1890s: The Conjuring of a Woman at the House of Robert Houdin
1900s: The Man with the Rubber Head
1910s: A Dog's Life
1920s: The General
1930s: Freaks
1940s: Tough choice but probably His Girl Friday...or The Ox-Bow incident
1950s: Another tough one buuuuut....Invasion of the Body Snatchers just beats out 12 Angry Men
1960s: Spider Baby
1970s: Texas Chainsaw Massacre although Junior Bonner is right behind it.
1980s: Carpenter's The Thing
1990s: Dead Alive ALSO THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE
2000s: The Devil's Rejects or Slither, hard to decide which.
2010s: Honestly....Kong: Skull Island...I really love this movie.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

goons posted:

1920s:

not even close to accurate, just wanted to post this gif

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Raccooon posted:

True Lies

Its the greatest action comedy ever made. Bill Paxton plays his best character as the sleazy car salesman.

"rear end like a 10 year-old boy!"

True Lies isn't the best movie, or my favorite movie, but it's drat sure one of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen and has a ton of my favorite quotes in it.

"Have... have you killed people?"

"Yeah but they were all bad."

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
Maybe talk a bit more about why they are your favorite movies instead of just putting down a list of titles.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I want to do a by decade list but it's late enough in the evening that all I'm coming up with is how great Kelly's Heroes was.

Ok, let's do this

40's: Casablanca. Fun, chaotic, tense, inspiring. As messed up as a three way romance during war should be. Bogey's despair at hearing a song is heartbreaking.
50's: Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. When I was a little kid I got to watch the movie up to the part where they fight the squid. After that my parents put me to be because it was late. I didn't know until much later that the movie ended shortly after that anyways. I love James Mason's Captain Nemo. A dark genius conflicted between desire for revenge and hope for the future.
60's: GBU. It's a very rough, dusty, amoral world where the heroes aren't all that different from the villains. One of the greatest soundtracks of all time.
70's: Star Wars / Kelly's Heroes. Oddball is the greatest American hero put to film.
80's: Buckaroo Banzai.This movie was the 80's.
90's: Rocketeer. A perfect comic book movie before comic book movies were perfected.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Darth Brooks posted:

40's: Casablanca. Fun, chaotic, tense, inspiring. As messed up as a three way romance during war should be. Bogey's despair at hearing a song is heartbreaking.

80's: Buckaroo Banzai.This movie was the 80's.
90's: Rocketeer. A perfect comic book movie before comic book movies were perfected.

I've already talked about Casablanca as favorite movie, but those are two of my very underrated favorites. I couldn't call Buckaroo Banzai or The Rocketeer my favorite movies of the '80s and '90s (that would be Ghostbusters/Raiders of the Lost Ark and L.A. Confidential), but I love them both with all my heart. I'm glad someone else appreciates their pulpy, comic booky appeal. Do you like Streets of Fire, by any chance? If you like Buckaroo Banzai, you would probably love it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Ferris Bueller's Day Off is probably my fav 80's film, and the 80's are my favorite decade of films too. It's just so wild and manic, so many great lines, the feud with his sister is akin to many frenemy siblings, mine included, and it's a great message at the end for Cam. Plus the music is spot-on, especially the jazz bit timed perfectly to Rooney's sunglasses flip. And the post-credits scene! Everything about the film is iconic. My tween nieces loved it too so I'm passing on the love to the next gen.

90's are tough to choose between Fight Club, Terminator 2, and Totall Recall. Fight Club takes the crazy ideas of the book and makes a more coherent narrative that also manages to raise the stakes, and Fincher and the actors are at the top of their game. T2 could have books written about it, it's just not my outright favorite because it's kinda depressing until the end. Totall Recall is like a perfect video game movie, even down to the villain laughing in the hero's face when he think's he's won. I only wish it had a little more goofy satire like the commercials in Robocop and Starship Troopers.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 31, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

china bot posted:

not even close to accurate, just wanted to post this gif

Honestly, I think you could make a good case for Keaton being the most consistently great director of the 20s. He made 11 feature films between 1923 and 1928, each one a masterpiece.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
This is essential Buster Keaton viewing:

Buster Keaton: The Art of the Gag

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Chili posted:

Wall-E is definitely peak pixar but its toy potential is probably bottom tier. Wall-E the character is certainly a major accomplishment, but Wall-E the plush doll? He's like a cube and you know, not really cuddly and stuff. His character is also more subtle, and less suave so not exactly as attractive to kids to play with.

So, not as cuddly as Nemo or Ratatouille, and not as fun as cars.

It's unfortunate but understandable.

the Lego Wall-E kicks rear end tho

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

JonathonSpectre posted:

"rear end like a 10 year-old boy!"

True Lies isn't the best movie, or my favorite movie, but it's drat sure one of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen and has a ton of my favorite quotes in it.

"Have... have you killed people?"

"Yeah but they were all bad."

"a pair of titties that make you wanna stand up and beg for buttermilk"

Yeah its a movie that growing up a lot of my friends would endlessly quote.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Honestly, I think you could make a good case for Keaton being the most consistently great director of the 20s. He made 11 feature films between 1923 and 1928, each one a masterpiece.

Not just his features, but most of his 2-reelers from 1920-1923 are gold. I firmly believe Cops is the funniest film of the entire silent era.

His directing talent is amazing, though. Three Ages is funny enough, but he absolutely nails the Griffith style. Same reason why The General works beautifully - it's not enough to make it funny, he had to make it look just like a period drama. It wouldn't be as funny if it looked cheap.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
I would argue F.W. Murnau as the greatest director of the 20s, if only for this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfZQr2RPsp4&t=148s

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

china bot posted:

I would argue F.W. Murnau as the greatest director of the 20s, if only for this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfZQr2RPsp4&t=148s

That low angle closeup of the pig makes the whole scene.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The discussion on favourite vs best film we had earlier in this thread made me think that it might be interesting to approach the question from a different angle. If you had the power to make everyone in the world watch exactly one film, which film would that be? The same as your favourite film? And if not, which criteria did you use to determine your choice?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Samuel Clemens posted:

The discussion on favourite vs best film we had earlier in this thread made me think that it might be interesting to approach the question from a different angle. If you had the power to make everyone in the world watch exactly one film, which film would that be? The same as your favourite film? And if not, which criteria did you use to determine your choice?

The videotape from the ring

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Definitely not the same as my favorite film. Probably something I feel is the most "important" for humanity to see. Maybe Shoah.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Samuel Clemens posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnrBQEAM3rE

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Watched the first 10 minutes of this and roughly 70% of that was either substanceless but flashy newspaper and tv effects, or substanceless fellatio of Noam Chomsky as a person. I'm sure there's important info in this film but it's a shame that that info was placed in the hands of such unbelievably lovely filmmakers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Izzhov posted:

Watched the first 10 minutes of this and roughly 70% of that was either substanceless but flashy newspaper and tv effects, or substanceless fellatio of Noam Chomsky as a person. I'm sure there's important info in this film but it's a shame that that info was placed in the hands of such unbelievably lovely filmmakers.

Yeah it takes a while to get to the point. Nowhere near my favourite movie, but I think the message is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Samuel Clemens posted:

If you had the power to make everyone in the world watch exactly one film, which film would that be? The same as your favourite film? And if not, which criteria did you use to determine your choice?

Live Vengeance '82
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_9gWeiShHFHOSFSVuAhJCjSpdxRtw0kh

Just because I could and that'd be funny.

• Locked thread