Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

d3c0y2 posted:

I know it's considered by many to be a flawed film but my favourite is Cloud Atlas. The way it cuts between the different story arcs with increasing speed to bring it to a final crescendo is just breath taking.

The different story arcs and their entwined nature also really really helps feed unto a whirlwind of emotions.

I don't often cry at films but I found myself crying at the end of Cloud Atlas and I couldn't even say if it was happiness or sadness that I was feeling in that moment.

It is by no means the best film ever made in my opinion, but it's ability to pull on so many emotions makes it my favourite.

Whoa, I have the same opinion. I can't even pin-point exactly what it is about Cloud Atlas I love so much. I've seen the movie at least 5 times. I wouldn't say Cloud Atlas is my favorite film of all time (I have several I would seriously need to think about), but it is my favorite film that I feel like I have to defend.

I think I enjoy how it feels like several separate individual films that, somehow, are told within the same universe and film. You get a 70s thriller, a dystopian cyberpunk action film, a black comedy, mad-max Hawaii edition, a love story / drama, and a redemption tale all in the same movie, with the same actors/actresses playing different roles. It was fun watching all of the vignettes and seeing little clues scattered about as to how they are all tangibly tied together. Also seeing the different actors/actresses not just play different characters in the different vignettes, but different races/sexes too. I know it was and still is hugely controversial, and the yellow face makeup makes some of them look like Vulkans, but It never really bothered me.

Cloud Atlas is such a unique film and is absolutely visually stunning, with a moving score to boot. I immediately fell in love with the film, and was shocked at how so many people seem to hate it? :confused:

It's probably one of the more polarizing movies of recent times. Everyone I talked to, every review I read, is either glowing with praise (such as mine) or just tears the film apart.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Because of all of you, my wife and I started watching Cloud Atlas tonight, for the first time, not realizing it was three hours long. I think we got an hour into it before she crashed for the night, but we liked it and look forward to picking it back up tomorrow. It's very much our kind of movie, so I'm shocked we never saw it when it came out, much less at any point along the way.

The film can be a bit much for one sitting, I remember it taking me three nights to get through first time I watched it ( at the time, I was working full time + night classes meant I had maybe an hour - hour/30 of free time before waking up at 5am again) but the film kept me so engaged I was willing to treat it more like a mini series than a movie. In fact, that may be the best approach when first viewing it.

Like forums poster Basebf555 said. I think the main thematic appeal of the film is this idea that the impacts and connections we make in our short lives don't end after we die, but somehow our "souls" or "essence' or whatever continue to have an impact even far into the future. Even finding ways to connect with the ones we have loved. Also if you were an evil bastard in a previous life, you will continue to be a lovely human in a later life as well. It's incredibly heartening to think about. Also the Sixsmith story is :smith:

Also the acting in general is fantastic. Especially Jim broadbent, Ben Whishaw, and Bae Doona. Though Tom Hanks has my favorite scene where you get to watch him play a gangster and throw a book critic off a building

All together it is a fantastic, unique film that i doubt will ever be replicated. I may have to watch it again tonight..

Also to keep this from becoming the "Cloud Atlas Appreciation thread" if you put a gun to my head and demanded my favorite movie of all time I would blurt out "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

I can sum it up in one scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YyBtMxZgQs

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 25, 2018

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Michael Mann is notoriously obsessed with little details. There is a reason why the shootout scene from HEAT is probably the greatest in cinema history. From the character choices you mention, and the loudness of the action (notice how there is no music, no over-the top explosions), to the desperate feel of the whole scene. Apparently Michael Mann had the actors practice firearms with real SWAT members to get them holding and re-loading them right. I've had people in the military, with combat experience, tell me the way Val Kilmer reloads his rifle in the middle of a firefight is exactly how you would do it in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60-sEXUPBY

Speaking of Michael Mann, Last of the Mohicans has my favorite ending sequence of all time. I can't mention much without spoiling it, however the sequence is about 10 minutes long. It features the deaths of some very important characters which lends to the emotion of the scene, a wild chase along a cliff, Daniel Day Lewis dual-wielding muskets like a badass, and a final fight against the main antagonist (West Studi) that's just dripping with anger and revenge. You get the sense that our protagonist, as he is chasing Wes Studi down, is thinking to himself gently caress you motherfucker, I've spent this whole film being harassed by you, you've killed my friends, my family, this ends NOW as he engages him in single-combat.

The whole sequence has 0 dialogue, and the amazing soundtrack is at full volume which really captures the mood. You can listen below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tjdswqGGVg

*edit*
Also to back up Michael Mann's detail obsessiveness. I had a professor of colonial American history tell me the scene showing the Siege of Fort William Henry is a mostly accurate portrayal of what 18th century siege warfare would have looked like.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 27, 2018

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

The climax of Last of the Mohicans has several all-time great scenes(or I guess you could consider it one great long scene). Like Alice's death, or Uncas' father taking on Magua in what has to be one of the best moments of revenge in film history.

It's truly great. Chingachgook just demolishes Magua (Wes Studi) and just proceeds to hack into him, pouring all of his rage and anger, hell the rage and anger of the whole film up to that point, in that one scene.

What makes it more powerful is they are not even out to rescue anyone at that point in the film. There is no more damsel in distress, or captured hero or whatever. The whole motivation at that point in the movie is pure, unrelenting, hatred and revenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhrg6SH9yvE

Spoilers obviously in the clip.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

WALL-E is 100% the best Pixar and I do find it weird I never see it mentioned anywhere

Agreed Wall-e is when Pixar reached their creative and imaginative peak (though I haven't seen insideout yet). It's such a cute, uplifting movie with a message that is surprisingly topical and has grown even more so. The world elects a CEO as President who then proceeds to wreck the Earth's environment so bad that everyone escapes to space, but is so tuned into social media and instant gratification that they've lost basic human emotionally abilities, such as finding love? Yea that definitely can apply to today's environment.

But aside from that, it's a love story that (especially the first 20-30mins) is told entirely without dialogue, and through it's beautiful visual splendor and it's amazing soundtrack. This may sound lame as well, but I remember the summer it came out I broke up with a girl I had been dating in University, and I ended up seeing WallE 4 times in theaters because it made me so incredibly happy each and every single time. That movie helped me move on lol.

The "Define Dancing" scene is still one of the most beautiful moments I've ever seen in cinema, and I'll fight anyone who tells me I'm wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPW3mvAN0Rc

Also the ending hit's me especially hard every time because my own father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's not long after. And the scene where Eve excitedly says Walle's name after repairing him and he just blankly looks at her with no recognition - gently caress. I know that feeling :(

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 30, 2018

• Locked thread