Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

This thread is for talking about those little obstacles in games that trip you up. I'm not talking that freak once in a lifetime run of bad luck or the sequence that pissed you off so much you uninstalled the game, I'm talking those little things that get in your way, but you suck it up and get back to business. Anti-goomba stomps, that they create a momentary sensation of unwellness in the gamer.

I nominate as first entry the medusa head in Castlevania. Its a small weak enemy that just flies in a set pattern, but combine it with the Castlevania jump arc and it always ends up knocking you into a pit and there's nothing to do about it but start over from the last checkpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Birds and bats in Ninja Gaiden.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

every time you slip off geometry in dark souls and instantly die.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Mask_%2B_Heart

These guys, the boss version, and basically any shielded enemy in Binding of Isaac. I will always take dmg if there's more than 2 in a room

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was always very bad at sneaking by Hammer Bros. unharmed....those guys are psychic

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

These guys, the boss version, and basically any shielded enemy in Binding of Isaac. I will always take dmg if there's more than 2 in a room

theyre the worst

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Ugh I think this was the original flash version but I remember fighting the boss version when I had really bad speed and range and it seemed literally impossible to get a hit in on them. I don't mind the invincible ones that you have to destroy the hearts to kill but yeah the shielded ones can gently caress off

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Obviously the Anor Londo archers are legendary here. Once you get past them it's like "how the gently caress did they give me that much trouble" but they'll still occasionally catch you with your guard down

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

fa-GYO
Mar 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
The frogs from Bloodstained curse of the moon.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Medusa heads from Castlevania

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
Buying a game for only 40% off is a medusa head

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

entering a new dungeon and being unfamiliar with enemy strengths/weaknesses in SMT series, causing you to accidentally set off a huge combo spiral in your disadvantage which might wipe you out. especially true in early game with less resources for healing or regaining SP, meaning you might easily wipe if you're not careful. one reflected spell and one or more weakness in your party and you're toast. getting wrecked like that loving sucks and makes you feel like a bitch, but there's nothing to do except reload and carry on. for example then going into Naraku for the first time in SMTIV can be tough going in blind. but there's nothing to do except learn the pattern and keep on trying. later on it's easy to forget why this was ever hard in the first place.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Getting hit in a fighting game even though I. WAS. BLOCKING.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
getting hit by an enemy due to a dumb mistake in spelunky, setting off a chain reaction of 3 more hits that ends a run

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
when the games gives me tutorials or tries to tell me how to play and i keep dying because i dont read them

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

sector_corrector posted:

getting hit by an enemy due to a dumb mistake in spelunky, setting off a chain reaction of 3 more hits that ends a run

thats good

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Coming back to a game after not playing it for like 6 months and not being able to remember the mechanics, controls or where you are in the story so you either have to muddle through or just start over

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The boomerang guys in Zelda 2.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Coming back to a game after not playing it for like 6 months and not being able to remember the mechanics, controls or where you are in the story so you either have to muddle through or just start over

That's a feel

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hate those little fucks

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Hate those little fucks

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

girl tweet reply crew 😂😳

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

trying to visceral a stunned boss in bloodborne but hitting the trigger in precisely the wrong spot and light attacking instead

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Bolverkur posted:

entering a new dungeon and being unfamiliar with enemy strengths/weaknesses in SMT series, causing you to accidentally set off a huge combo spiral in your disadvantage which might wipe you out. especially true in early game with less resources for healing or regaining SP, meaning you might easily wipe if you're not careful. one reflected spell and one or more weakness in your party and you're toast. getting wrecked like that loving sucks and makes you feel like a bitch, but there's nothing to do except reload and carry on. for example then going into Naraku for the first time in SMTIV can be tough going in blind. but there's nothing to do except learn the pattern and keep on trying. later on it's easy to forget why this was ever hard in the first place.

This poo poo, right here. I love SMT, but they can be pretty unforgiving, and I think the stats of the enemies change a little between games? I'm not sure, but I think I do because there's always a moment of "That was supposed to be his weakeness!" when I start a new one. Or I'm crazy forgetful, which might be a thing.

btw, I really like your avatar. I love slimes and slime-knights, and your av got a laugh from me. So there's that.

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

trying to visceral a stunned boss in bloodborne but hitting the trigger in precisely the wrong spot and light attacking instead
I watched my husband do that so many times.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The O piece, the worst Tetris piece.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

DicktheCat posted:

btw, I really like your avatar. I love slimes and slime-knights, and your av got a laugh from me. So there's that.

thank you dick the cat i like it too. milkshake mario is also cool

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

In Training posted:

Ds1 was extremely poo poo about this. If you stepped on something steeper than a tiny angle to the horizontal the gradient would be such you'd go flying off. Ds 2 and 3 and Bloodborne were much better (sans some clumsy platforming in 2).

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGdnd-lHmQU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I've died three times now over 20 minutes into the NieR Automata intro lol, does this count? My Gamer Pride wont let me drop to Normal mode

edit: for those who haven't played the game doesn't let you save until...... well, I'm not sure yet. I just know i've had to replay the game and start a new save file every time , it's pretty cruel

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

goferchan posted:

I've died three times now over 20 minutes into the NieR Automata intro lol, does this count? My Gamer Pride wont let me drop to Normal mode

edit: for those who haven't played the game doesn't let you save until...... well, I'm not sure yet. I just know i've had to replay the game and start a new save file every time , it's pretty cruel

i did it on hard too .. its not really worth it unless you know how to play the game properly already. you dont get anything out of it and you can put it back on hard once you reach the first save point

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played it on normal and raised the difficulty later yeah. Also because I had already played it 3 times since it was the demo

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

i did it on hard too .. its not really worth it unless you know how to play the game properly already. you dont get anything out of it and you can put it back on hard once you reach the first save point

Yeah I'm just gonna do medium until I get to save point then I'll switch I think. I love the idea of cancelling out enemy bullets with my pod shots while I close in for the kill but it's also super weird and kind of breaking my brain right now lol, and i don't want to repeat this a 4th time . I made it to the second boss fight with the double sawblades last time , was i close?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Another quick NieR:A Q for those in the know: does changing difficulty affect enemy attack patterns/placement or is it just what it says on the label where you take more damage and lose lock on capability? Bcz if that's all it is i may feel ok just playing on Normal to enjoy the story. My main experience with Platinum games tho is Bayonetta where the enemies you fight and boss movesets are way more interesting when you jump to hard. If that's the case I don't wanna miss out, but if it's just that I take more damage on hard I can probably pass

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

the game is way way more interesting without lock on in this gamer's opinion.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

the game is way way more interesting without lock on in this gamer's opinion.

That's fair enough it does feel kinda cheap being able to just ignore enemy bullets without it. I'll give hard another shot when I finally find a save point lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's midnight and it's my birthday and I want to post in the Friday night thread . Please u lock