Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I don't know any current YouTube people's names or faces so my post is this :

Won't anyone think of boxxxxxy!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'm pretty sure that if someone decides to try and break into an industry where you talk about yourself to a camera for 30 minutes, 3 times a day, then edit the footage, then post and promote it on 10 social media sites, they might....just might, be a little "off" to begin with.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
My kid loves watching the videos of people opening eggs or just playing with toys while they talk about it in a creepy eastern European accent. Can't get enough of that poo poo. I think it's rotting his brain.

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

alnilam posted:

What i always wonder is who the hell goes on youtube and deliberately watches a 10 minute video of someone talking to their webcam? The couple of times I inadvertantly started watching a vlog style video I was so bored I couldn't even go back to enjoying good videos for the rest of the day

What I'm saying here is won't somebody think of the emotional stress put on the viewers of these terrible videos?

It's like all children between the ages of 3 and 17 that probably what makes up like 75% of YouTube's audience. I honestly don't think anyone growing up right now watches content like other generations did, there are thousands of vloggers and streamers that have somehow captured the attention of the entire youth demographic by making egocentric daily videos about how 'interesting' their daily lives are and reaping crazy profits from it.

People who make content for YouTube honestly don't realize how well off they are compared to the vast majority of other people their age and don't understand that the stress of just working is what is setting in for them. They're wealthy self employed people complaining about that reality.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Demon Of The Fall posted:

My kid loves watching the videos of people opening eggs or just playing with toys while they talk about it in a creepy eastern European accent. Can't get enough of that poo poo. I think it's rotting his brain.

My nephew really likes this dude named Blippie or Bippy or some poo poo, he's a theater arts reject whose entire job is to be the equivalent of that Raspberry Pi machine that sorts Skittles by color, except on your iPad screen

Edit: Apologies, the candy sorting machine was actually made with Arduino

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Farg posted:

check again, garbanzo
19 is not a young person, it's an adult. You're 18, you can make your own financial and career decisions? You're an adult. Not sure why people are arguing on the side of the folks who have a $400 million cosmetics company they started through their Youtube channel, but whaaatever.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
oh sorry I was looking at a different thread about jelqing

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You peeps need to check out AvE

It's the best channel on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/Gh51jPKeR9A

He's some sort of copper mine engineer out of BC and he gets products and busts them apart to see how they work and exposes their BS.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Farg posted:

oh sorry I was looking at a different thread about jelqing

it's like dabbing, but with your dick

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Save him

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lowtax posted:

it's like dabbing, but with your dick

I can smoke weed with my dick?!?!!?!

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Farg posted:

I dunno I think it's a bad environment for children or young people and you should try to have some level of empathy for that, the edge thing is kinda early 2000s.
yeah when lots of young ppl with bad job opportunities expose themselves with unforseen consequences online i'm inclined to put the blame on their terrible, cryptic "employer" profiting from all that drama but maybe that's just me

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Did that guy who posted the video of himself playing Blackbird to his dying kid ever manage to successfully monetize that? At the very least the writers at This Is Us probably owe him some sort of largeish check

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I don't know anything about dabbing or jelqing but I do know what dicks are. Motherfuckers using some weird future slang. Just stick to pussy, dick, and power bottom so us old people can keep up okay?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I can only conclude that people are bored out of their minds and have way too much time on their hands

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

yeah when lots of young ppl with bad job opportunities expose themselves with unforseen consequences online i'm inclined to put the blame on their terrible, cryptic "employer" profiting from all that drama but maybe that's just me
But, uh, it's not unforeseen. They're doing the same thing they did before, but now they're just complaining because they've been doing it too long. Nothing has changed. Like literally the only "consequences" are that they're burned out from doing what they're doing; nothing has changed.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Lowtax put funny things into giant plastic eggs and open them on your channel and watch the money flow in brother

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I think I was born ~8 years too early to really understand the entire notion of a Youtube personality.

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

Lowtax posted:

But, uh, it's not unforeseen. They're doing the same thing they did before, but now they're just complaining because they've been doing it too long. Nothing has changed.

Exactly. They can't put themselves in the place of a guy working on an assembly line screwing heads on dolls for 40 years. Repetition and working constantly is a part of life these kids don't understand because they are being thrown hundreds of thousands of dollars sucking their own dicks in their mansions for an audiance

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StandardVC10 posted:

I think I was born ~8 years to early too really understand the entire notion of a Youtube personality.

its not a hard concept just think paris hilton except they're opening kinder legs instead of their pussy lips

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

StandardVC10 posted:

I think I was born ~8 years to early too really understand the entire notion of a Youtube personality.
1) Be young and usually white
2) Video yourself acting like a moron and upload it

that's really it

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I love watching that adult man-child-thing in suits trying on trashy foods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BalhiByCRTQ

It's so...earnest

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I only use the YouTube when I'm making car or household repairs and also fishing tips. Usually I want to go fish somewhere and look up the best tips for the area and video after video is two guys sitting there catching fish. Dammit I need hook sizes and baits and information! Not, "whoooo Bobby got him a pompano on!" Anyways, check out Emma's Fishing for a very cool lady who does primative sort of fishing. My whole post was pointless except for that last bit.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Collapsing Farts posted:

It's so...earnest
Hahaha, it's like a gussied up version of one of the Trump spawn.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Collapsing Farts posted:

It's so...earnest

Seems more like a child-man than a man-child. Have any scholars weighed in on this?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Collapsing Farts posted:

It's so...earnest

i think the appeal with this guy is people trying to decide if he's serious or not

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
This one youtuber I used to watch did really good horror game vids in the day, but now his shits gone total youtube with transposing his face on the entire screen for a scare and bullshit like that. He's now doing a thing where he reacts to his old videos, which are genuine and cool, and he stomps on them for not being monetized pieces of poo poo and I just dont know what the gently caress anymore.

gently caress YouTube monetization and anyone involved.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

What if me eating breakfast... but monetized... :thunk:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Siljmonster posted:

YouTubers are just like us, they wake up everg morning and wanna kill themselves too

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Lowtax posted:

1) Be young and usually white
2) Video yourself acting like a moron and upload it

that's really it

YES BUT WHY IS THIS WORTH MONEY

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

A. Beaverhausen posted:

This one youtuber I used to watch did really good horror game vids in the day, but now his shits gone total youtube with transposing his face on the entire screen for a scare and bullshit like that. He's now doing a thing where he reacts to his old videos, which are genuine and cool, and he stomps on them for not being monetized pieces of poo poo and I just dont know what the gently caress anymore.

gently caress YouTube monetization and anyone involved.
Some guy (who is nice actually) was offering me tips on how to grow my own Youtube channel and like literally everything he suggested I was like "hell no, I won't do that," so my channel is screwed, which I knew from the get-go. I just didn't think one of my co-hosts would be a diaper fur pedo, but that's one of those things you usually don't consider under most circumstances.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StandardVC10 posted:

because there's an audience for it

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

StandardVC10 posted:

Because of METRICS and ENGAGEMENT and essentially AD MONEY FOR GOOGLE FROM 15 YEAR OLD KIDS WHO WILL FOREVER LOSE ANY AND ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION ABOUT THEMSELVES AND WILLINGLY / FREELY GIVE IT UP TO A GIANT CORPORATE ENTITY IN EXCHANGE FOR ENTERTAINMENT.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Lowtax posted:

Some guy (who is nice actually) was offering me tips on how to grow my own Youtube channel and like literally everything he suggested I was like "hell no, I won't do that," so my channel is screwed, which I knew from the get-go. I just didn't think one of my co-hosts would be a diaper fur pedo, but that's one of those things you usually don't consider under most circumstances.

I made a stupid, creepy, 1 minute video for Halloween once. I got an comment within minutes that just said "you should put more Slenderman in your videos."

There's no hope.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lowtax posted:

Guys. Guys. Guys. I need you all to be serious here for a moment and contemplate something that doesn't directly affect you. The Youtube community, the 19 year olds who upload their opinions on important things like makeup and shoes, are getting burnt out before they hit 20 years old.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/07/12/youtube-creators-mental-health/

These poor artists suffering for their art, their very souls, are being irreparably damaged by negative comments and thumbs down on Youtube.

Never mind the fact that these people are making hundreds of thousands of dollars rambling to a $100 video camera about clothing and video games... it's the toxic internet that is breaking them. Absolutely crushing story, please think of this and like and subscribe to my channel.

Extremely, extremely few are making bank. Most probably, if they put out a video every day and have subscribers in the high five to low six figures range, are making barely a living wage.

Any less than that which is the vast majority and they make essentially nothing

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm 31 so not exactly an old man myself but these kids should try getting a real job if they want to know what burnt out feels like :negative:.

One of my favorite youtube channels I found was of a guy just eating carrots and drinking water. That's all he does. Here is one such video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkIa_P_xZ1Y

I'm eternally grateful though that I got to grow up for at least part of my life without internet. I got to do cool kid stuff like go outside. And then when the internet entered my life, I had to enjoy it as dial-up, and I had to know what codes to type in ms dos just to fuckin load a game up. I don't think I had cable internet until I was 15.

Kids these days just have instant gratification with where technology is at. I'm not so sure it's a good thing.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Extremely, extremely few are making bank. Most probably, if they put out a video every day and have subscribers in the high five to low six figures range, are making barely a living wage.

you've got to be successful enough for people to want to buy your t shirts because money directly from YT is a pittance except for like five people

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ginette Reno posted:

Kids these days just have instant gratification with where technology is at. I'm not so sure it's a good thing.

congrats you're getting old and making the same argument that everyone since the dawn of time has made

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Blast of Confetti posted:

congrats you're getting old and making the same argument that everyone since the dawn of time has made
Yeah, people get caught up in that whole "I don't understand the youth nowadays" poo poo, but it's pretty easy to understand:

1) When you were a youth, a majority of your peers were idiots. Hell, maybe even you were an idiot.
2) ....that's really it, I guess.

It's not a generational thing, it's an age thing, and if you don't remember being younger and the stupid poo poo you liked when you were young, well then guess what, you've officially become Generic Old Person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Any less than that which is the vast majority and they make essentially nothing

also if you take a few days off, or make a video that your demographic doesn't like, that pittance disappears and you might never get it back. google will still profit from your videos though because that's how capitalism works

• Locked thread