Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Dennis System posted:

WatchMojo claims they put out a new top ten list every day. I wonder how many people are involved in making those drat lists every day. You've got to come up with a ton of lists (and they've got to be running out ideas for lists at this point), write the copy, gather all the videos and edit them, etc. I don't know how they're making any money on that.

It makes money because every video attracts ten million people who watch it just to complain about how lovely WM is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Collapsing Farts posted:

I love watching that adult man-child-thing in suits trying on trashy foods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BalhiByCRTQ

It's so...earnest

That dude is legit. He broadcasts a shortwave radio show too.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
he has soft hands and ill fitting clothes that make him look like a child.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Konsek posted:

YouTube is an amazing teaching tool. I'm really into music theory and there's about half a dozen amazing channels and a whole load more great videos on any subject. Plus whatever else, new computer part, look up how to fit it. Having a DIY problem and can't work it out, probably a video about it. These channels get hundreds or thousands rather than millions of views and no drama anywhere, and seem to be run by normal people. There is a good part of YouTube, it's just tiny and you have to look for it.

Wasn't this sort of thing part of the initial point of YouTube? I don't think anybody expected anybody to become a millionaire by just talking about what they eat every day. More like the "I'm interested in this thing so I make a few videos every week or so about it" was the expectation.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
TheReportOfTheWeek fuckin owns and I will not have you talking poo poo about him. It's not allowed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Anyway the reason YT is bad for your mental health is because people see popular YouTubers making a career out of doing it, without having the understanding that the only reason they have that career is because they already were popular before going that direction. So they pour all their effort into their channel misunderstanding that effort does not equal success anywhere in life, but especially not on YouTube. You can make the best videos on the whole site and nobody will watch them because YT doesn't promote them and that makes people really sad. Then if they do get even mildly popular they will be disappointed to know that YouTube gives you less than half of a penny for every ad view (yes really) and you need to have millions of views before you can even sort of start to make a living from only YT alone.

edit: For reference, I have nearly 2 million video views on my channel and have been paid less than 300 dollars from Google over six fuckin years of making videos. It's pathetic. Don't make a YouTube channel if you want to make money. If you do, then also make a Patreon like papa Lowtax.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 15, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The Dennis System posted:

WatchMojo claims they put out a new top ten list every day. I wonder how many people are involved in making those drat lists every day. You've got to come up with a ton of lists (and they've got to be running out ideas for lists at this point), write the copy, gather all the videos and edit them, etc. I don't know how they're making any money on that.

I love these videos. Watch them and count the times they amp it up.

'This video is shot by a person who explored a mine, they have gone missing no one has heard from them since.'

'No one has heard from them since.'

'They died.'

'The person who made this footage has since disappearrreeed'

'Before we get to number one my name is chills, I hope you are enjoying the video so far, you can follow me on instagram and twitch to find out what I look like"

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 15, 2018

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CJacobs posted:

Anyway the reason YT is bad for your mental health is because people see popular YouTubers making a career out of doing it, without having the understanding that the only reason they have that career is because they already were popular before going that direction. So they pour all their effort into their channel misunderstanding that effort does not equal success anywhere in life, but especially not on YouTube. You can make the best videos on the whole site and nobody will watch them because YT doesn't promote them and that makes people really sad. Then if they do get even mildly popular they will be disappointed to know that YouTube gives you less than half of a penny for every ad view (yes really) and you need to have millions of views before you can even sort of start to make a living from only YT alone.

edit: For reference, I have nearly 2 million video views on my channel and have been paid less than 300 dollars from Google over six fuckin years of making videos. It's pathetic. Don't make a YouTube channel if you want to make money. If you do, then also make a Patreon like papa Lowtax.

the real money isn't in the videos themselves. it's about your character's dumb quips and catchphrases being popular enough to put on merch to sell in your store

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's true. You have to basically market yourself as a brand and have a ton of charisma and the average joe is just the average joe so they don't have that. People watch loud screaming Youtubers because they are spontaneous and charismatic (and also because you can't account for taste) and the guy with 10 views on each of his 200 Minecraft videos is not.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 15, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMUU_T-DdP8
He made angry fat person videos until he revealed it was all sham to get views.

I am also deeply saddened that mega64 was way ahead of the youtube times and we are left with countless 10 ten videos/other crap when they made videos before it was popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgbCg3G4A70
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ZFA4me4iw
They even had Kojima!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUN0lDk0CcA

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 15, 2018

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

That's a struggle that Elle Mills, a YouTuber with about 1.4 million subscribers, talked about in a video from May titled "Burnt out at 19." She discussed how, despite having her dream job, she simply wasn't content. "My life just changed so fast," Mills said in the video. "My anxiety and depression keeps getting worse and worse. This is all I ever wanted, and why the gently caress am I so unfucking unhappy? It doesn't make any sense. It's so stupid. It is so stupid."
lol, 19. You can take a 19 year old and put them anywhere doing anything at all and they will find a way to get depressed and anxious about it. That's what teenagers do. Hormones are a hell of a drug.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

All I know about being a YouTuber is that you have to complain about the algorithm a lot. Does anyone know what that means? Its really dumb, isnt it?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
idk, but Darude - Sandstorm is being protected from copyright infringement by tireless robot guardians and will continue to be for longer than we will be alive.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 15, 2018

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
It's me. I'm the one who is a raging narcissist that becomes sad when people don't like my raging narcissism.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dang Google really got ripped off.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm sure they would have paid me less if they could have, actually

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
there's a kid I know contracted by super deluxe to make cooking with weed vids in a disinterested effeminate voice and he hates his life and his contract and I'm glad of it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I *cut* want *cut* to *cut* die

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
CJacobs says nasty things about irish people in every one of his dark souls lps. Also he is an anarchist.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The emails youtube sends to their "creators" to boost their creativity or whetever are super hilarious though because they're really patronizing and gaslight-y, especially after there's any major controversy. If people take that poo poo seriously, and try to cater to youtube to stay relevant, no wonder they all end up neurotic and hosed up.

YouTube is just as bad if not worse than the people who make videos.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Picnic Princess posted:

The emails youtube sends to their "creators" to boost their creativity or whetever are super hilarious though because they're really patronizing and gaslight-y, especially after there's any major controversy.

Like what

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

When the Logan Paul/Elsagate/Finger Family poo poo all went down, their response was to demonetize channels with fewer than 1000 subscribers then link them to pages that offer lessons on how to be a better youtuber. Because it was the small channels causing problems, clearly.

I mean, I wasn't even making any money anyway, I often have copyrighted music in my video so it didn't affect me, but it was amazing to see how badly they handled the problem of big, famous channels producing poo poo content by taking it out on the people who make zero impact on anything at all. But the emails were hilarious. I wish I had kept them.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

The emails youtube sends to their "creators" to boost their creativity or whetever are super hilarious though because they're really patronizing and gaslight-y, especially after there's any major controversy. If people take that poo poo seriously, and try to cater to youtube to stay relevant, no wonder they all end up neurotic and hosed up.

YouTube is just as bad if not worse than the people who make videos.

In a surprising twist nobody saw coming, a corporation exploits people in the most twisted ways for profit and the goon reaction is "wow these victims of an oppressive system sure are dumbos"

Putty posted:

CJacobs says nasty things about irish people in every one of his dark souls lps. Also he is an anarchist.

Is this supposed to make me not want to watch his videos? Because both of these things sound cool and good

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm blonde with blue eyes which seems to be about 80% of the requirements to being a successful male youtuber. Too bad I'm also old and boring.

Casually watching Jake Paul's empire fall apart was interesting, if only because it was so inevitable. He has a lot of the same personality traits as Trump.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

just remember that the number of people who will kill themselves when YT goes belly up is a number greater than zero

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Why would YT go belly up

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
one day they add too much google tracking and suggested-for-you bullshit and it becomes basically unusable for the casual viewer, so everybody migrates to a different service with less bloat

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

SciFiDownBeat posted:

In a surprising twist nobody saw coming, a corporation exploits people in the most twisted ways for profit and the goon reaction is "wow these victims of an oppressive system sure are dumbos"
lol because yes, it's clearly YouTube's fault here and none of the blame goes to the people who knew what YouTube's policies are, who had worked with YouTube, and were aware of what the job they choose entailed. loving unreasonable Goons, clearly all the blame is the evil capitalist entity that they never were prepared to deal with because, uh, reasons.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Lowtax posted:

lol because yes, it's clearly YouTube's fault here and none of the blame goes to the people who knew what YouTube's policies are, who had worked with YouTube, and were aware of what the job they choose entailed. loving unreasonable Goons, clearly all the blame is the evil capitalist entity that they never were prepared to deal with because, uh, reasons.

:allears:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Lowtax posted:

Do you feel a kinship with youtube because you unfairly use the work that goons create for free in the wildly successful Photoshop Phriday and Comedy Goldmine sections of the front page?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
But yeah. Maybe don't youtube if you be mad 'bout youtubin.

Maybe innertube instead.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it seems like being a youtube person would actually suck

just because they have a bullshit job doesn't really invalidate feeling burnt out or harassed

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

feelix posted:

Do you feel a kinship with youtube because you unfairly use the work that goons create for free in the wildly successful Photoshop Phriday and Comedy Goldmine sections of the front page?
Yeah sure, let me just revenue split the $2.00 in ad revenue with 30 people who are aware their Photoshops might be in Photoshop Phriday or the Comedy Goldmine, two columns that haven't been updated in about a year.

My point is, if you decide that making YouTube videos is going to be your full-time job, I do not know how you could get burnt out and start complaining you cannot make anymore videos by the age of 19. What part surprised these people? That they have to continue making videos? Seriously, explain how these people are victims when they were all well aware of the expectations and needs they would have to meet when they chose this as their job.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SciFiDownBeat posted:

The evil corporation is denying us the natural right to make a living off lazy, derivative video game commentaries, this is truly peak of capitalist oppression

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol @ the idea of youtube "creators"

there are like ten channels that actually create something on that website

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

steinrokkan posted:

The evil corporation is denying us the natural right to make a living off lazy, derivative video game commentaries, this is truly peak of capitalist oppression

No you do not understand, these poor people were forced by capitalism to work in the YouTube mines, getting virtual black lung from all the video uploads they gotta do just to survive. They, in no way, are responsible for their situation, as capitalism's twisted tentacles ensnared them and made them slaves to the video lord. How could have anybody possibly known that uploading videos every day would require them to upload videos every day, they'd have to be as smart as Albert Edison to figure such a thing out.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

steinrokkan posted:

lol @ the idea of youtube "creators"

there are like ten channels that actually create something on that website
I disagree with that, these people all create something. I think if they product has value or is actually creative is a different argument, but at least from YouTube's point of view, they are creating things that there is clearly a demand for.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

All labor has value, even if just for the sake of novelty.

Youtube is pr cool as an idea, except for all the spying and poo poo. That being said, I'm not going to go around being an apologist for their company/idea post-acquisition by Alphabet. Most of it is designed to keep our collective heads in the sand so it should be approached like propaganda spectacle unless proven otherwise.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

All labor has value, even if just for the sake of novelty.

Youtube is pr cool as an idea, except for all the spying and poo poo. That being said, I'm not going to go around being an apologist for their company/idea post-acquisition by Alphabet. Most of it is designed to keep our collective heads in the sand so it should be approached like propaganda spectacle unless proven otherwise.
Yeah, I'm, in no way saying YouTube is a perfect service and run by compassionate CEOs who deeply care about each and every one of their video producers. They don't give a poo poo about anybody except their stockholders. They're a disgusting black box that would love to exploit and sap every drop of information they can get from all their users.

But that said, my point is anybody who takes a full-time job knowing they have to make videos full-time should not be surprised that they have to make videos full-time. If they weren't in it for the long run, then they should not have chosen that profession. Seriously, what were they expecting to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
No.

For more hot takes on YouTube, please like and subscribe, leave a comment below, ring that bell so you get notifications! Also follow me on Instagram.

• Locked thread