Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

the milk machine posted:

I bet 90% of it worked fine and Amazon never bothered to brag about that, because they're humble
90% per item is a godawful rate if you're trying to let the computers handle it on their own.

I'm saying it was a huge failure but it wasn't fake either. It wasn't a smokescreen for making underpaid humans do all the work. Even underpaid, that's too expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

they wouldn’t brag about it because 90% is not really successful for that sort of system

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

if a human staff member was missing 10% of their orders they’d be fired but the computer can miss that many because it doesn’t use the bathroom or have a family. hth

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
there is no difference in cost between a machine that is right 99% of the time and needs constant human attention and one that is right 1% of the time and needs constant human attention (or you could save money with a computer that doesn't exist and is just a person doing that job)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Plank Walker posted:

there is no difference in cost between a machine that is right 99% of the time and needs constant human attention and one that is right 1% of the time and needs constant human attention (or you could save money with a computer that doesn't exist and is just a person doing that job)

you can't carry people on your balance sheet as an asset

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ArmedZombie posted:

Give it 5-10 years.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Subjunctive posted:

they wouldn’t brag about it because 90% is not really successful for that sort of system

i bet if they could say "it worked 90 percent of the time" instead of "if didn't work 70 percent of the time" they would have

im just pointing out that if the info they released was that bad, there's really no reason to assume "golly it probably worked way better than they even said"

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

the milk machine posted:

i bet if they could say "it worked 90 percent of the time" instead of "if didn't work 70 percent of the time" they would have

im just pointing out that if the info they released was that bad, there's really no reason to assume "golly it probably worked way better than they even said"

Two different measurements.

I'm suggesting that 70% of trips needed manual checking, while probably less than 10% of items needed manual checking, because a trip has several items.

In that situation the computers are unacceptably bad but also the Indian employees are not doing a big fraction of the work.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
it was marketed as an 🌟~~ AI ~~🌟solution of the future

it was a bunch of underpaid Indian workers in another room doing more work than their lovely incapable software

what part of this does not scream "failure" to you

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Dylan16807 posted:

In that situation the computers are unacceptably bad but also the Indian employees are not doing a big fraction of the work.
The Indian employees were doing 100% of the work required to make that bullshit shopping concept function, get the gently caress outta here

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Dylan16807 posted:

Two different measurements.

I'm suggesting that 70% of trips needed manual checking, while probably less than 10% of items needed manual checking, because a trip has several items.

i'm suggesting you're just making numbers up for some reason and i don't understand why

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
guys check out this new invention, the mechanical turk! it's the choice of a new generation!

*gets shown the fraud of the mechanical turk*

well you have to admit that the machinery itself did respond to knobs being twisted and levers being pulled so it was at least 70% successful

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the milk machine posted:

did they release the rate of human intervention, or did it leak?all the stuff I saw about it was “according to a person who has worked on the technology” and so forth. and then

quote:

Just Walk Out teams repeatedly missed goals they had set to cut down on human review, according to the person who has worked on the technology. As of mid-2022, Just Walk Out required about 700 human reviews per 1,000 sales, far above an internal target of reducing the number of reviews to between 20 and 50 per 1,000 sales, the person said. The spokesperson said reviewers currently validate a “small minority” of shopper visits, adding: “Just Walk Out technology has continued to scale while reducing the number of human reviews year-over-year.”

where are you seeing Amazon release the numbers? that doesn’t sound like something they would do, but I haven’t been following the story closely. (note that the leak is talking about two years ago and the spokesperson is talking about “currently”, so it makes sense that they don’t line up)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

ArmedZombie posted:

"People, selling people, to people."

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

The Indian employees were doing 100% of the work required to make that bullshit shopping concept function, get the gently caress outta here
If there wasn't an AI, they would need many more thousands of workers.

The claim that "AI really means a bunch of barely paid people in India watching camera footage and marking what a person bought" is not true.

They're doing 100% of the work that's left over by the AI, but that's a tautology. Even if they only needed 1 guy to supervise, he'd be doing 100% of the work left over.

Amazon needing 1,000 underpaid Indian workers is a failure, but that's not the same as the AI being fake.

Edit: And "AI is entirely a scam propped up by highly exploited labor from the global south" makes it sound like they're a lot more competent than they actually are. They failed, that's dumber than a deliberate scam. And if exploiting workers was the goal why would they shut it down?

the milk machine posted:

i'm suggesting you're just making numbers up for some reason and i don't understand why
I'm doing basic math.

Trips are made of multiple items. If the per-trip success rate is 30%, the per-item success rate has to be a lot higher than 30%.

Dylan16807 has issued a correction as of 04:09 on Apr 26, 2024

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Subjunctive posted:

did they release the rate of human intervention, or did it leak?all the stuff I saw about it was “according to a person who has worked on the technology” and so forth. and then

where are you seeing Amazon release the numbers? that doesn’t sound like something they would do, but I haven’t been following the story closely. (note that the leak is talking about two years ago and the spokesperson is talking about “currently”, so it makes sense that they don’t line up)

do you really think information like this is a genuine leak and not a company doing pr

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my man grocery store exist now and they don’t need thousands of Indians to work

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

euphronius posted:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the milk machine posted:

do you really think information like this is a genuine leak and not a company doing pr

yeah, I don’t think there was any benefit to Amazon to have the old numbers leak, and tech companies are leaky as poo poo. The Information gets good stuff that pisses off execs all the time.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dylan16807 posted:

If there wasn't an AI amazon wouldn't have even run these stupid-rear end stores to begin with so no, they wouldn't

Dylan16807 posted:

I'm doing basic math.

Trips are made of multiple items. If the per-trip success rate is 30%, the per-item success rate has to be a lot higher than 30%.

The specific quote was 700 out of every 1000 "sales", which is not specific enough a term to interpret the way you're interpreting it.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

If there wasn't an AI amazon wouldn't have even run these stupid-rear end stores to begin with so no, they wouldn't

The specific quote was 700 out of every 1000 "sales", which is not specific enough a term to interpret the way you're interpreting it.

lots of dumb mechanical turk poo poo exists, like that awful dancing tesla ot from a few years back

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

I meant in the context of the employees doing 100%, I agree they wouldn't do it fully manually.

And good point about the quote, maybe it really was that hilariously bad, though in that case I really want to hear how it got deployed at all.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

euphronius posted:

Yes, I've heard good things about working in retail, especially sitting at the register and listening to the charming opinions of the customers.

Trying to eliminate jobs that sucks is good. Doing it with AI and even worse jobs is not so good.

What I'm suggesting is self scan solutions with an economic system that provides sufficient income for everyone, so that stealing is not worth the risk/hassle.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

BonHair posted:

Also, the whole terminology is a gently caress. New Zealand is as far east as you get, plus pretty south, but it's still in "the West". Meanwhile, Morocco, a country situated west of most of Europe and literally called "the West" in it's native language is not considered part of "the West".

It's all just a front for "descended from European culture" or "counts as white" really

It's a globe OP. You can keep going east infinitely. To the east of new Zealand is south America

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

core-periphery ftw

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Dylan16807 posted:

The claim that "AI really means a bunch of barely paid people in India watching camera footage and marking what a person bought" is not true.

They're doing 100% of the work that's left over by the AI, but that's a tautology. Even if they only needed 1 guy to supervise, he'd be doing 100% of the work left over.

Amazon needing 1,000 underpaid Indian workers is a failure, but that's not the same as the AI being fake.

Edit: And "AI is entirely a scam propped up by highly exploited labor from the global south" makes it sound like they're a lot more competent than they actually are. They failed, that's dumber than a deliberate scam. And if exploiting workers was the goal why would they shut it down?

I'm doing basic math.

AI is fake though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Everyone thinking it's AI when all this time it's been just Al. Folks've been Ievanpolkka'd.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

euphronius posted:

They do in my city

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I can picture the financial planners trying to convince someone to starve because it's irresponsible to be uninsured

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already
*breathlessly kramers into the thread*

can they just skip breakfast?!?!?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
"Please starve so I don't" — financial planners.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Zodium posted:

core-periphery ftw

Listen it's a tidal wave of human beings being made miserable being paid poverty wages, but on the other hand I personally spend 30 seconds less putting my lunch on a self checkout machine so really isn't it worth it?

042624_2
Apr 26, 2024

tokin opposition posted:

a tidal wave of bourgeoisie being unable to pay a reproducible wage

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

I can picture the financial planners trying to convince someone to starve because it's irresponsible to be uninsured

Realizing that my financial planner is living (my) paycheck to (my) paycheck is insane. I am the main breadwinner in my financial planner's family.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

khazar sansculotte posted:

Realizing that my financial planner is living (my) paycheck to (my) paycheck is insane. I am the main breadwinner in my financial planner's family.

lmao

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

khazar sansculotte posted:

If someone calling themselves a "financial planner" is managing to scam a monthly paycheck out of you they must be doing something right

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

every American worth his salt has his own financial planner, accountant, lawyer, doctor, and therapist. consult your life coach if you don't have one of these.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

every American worth his salt has his own financial planner, accountant, lawyer, doctor, and therapist. consult your life coach if you don't have one of these.

That doesn't sound very self-reliant to me, I think you should take personal responsibility and be your own doctor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

Listen it's a tidal wave of human beings being made miserable being paid poverty wages, but on the other hand I personally spend 30 seconds less putting my lunch on a self checkout machine so really isn't it worth it?

the terms are ftw! the terms!!