Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

no longer an option in NY state. Pay for paper bags, use your own, or carry your groceries out like the why can't i hold all these limes guy.

Just tell the machine zero when it asks you how many paper bags you used. Nobody is giving you poo poo over a few cents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Just tell the machine zero when it asks you how many paper bags you used. Nobody is giving you poo poo over a few cents

yeah no poo poo lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I did this and now I'm in prison. Careful out there kids.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

In Training posted:

Yeah don’t do it at Target they aggregate your nickel fee and get the cops to bust you after your 20,000th bag pushes it into felony territory

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

they didn't have hand baskets at a Safeway I went to a couple weeks ago. "we took them out," they said, and suggested I use a cart. I think it's supposed to be for Loss Prevention but idk if that's gonna work out for them. I walked around the store putting items in my New Yorker tōte. i wonder if I could have gotten into trouble.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
you will 100% get followed by LP if you shop directly into a tote bag.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

so you send in one person to do tote bag shopping for cheap stuff while the comrade stuff their sweats full of steak

041724_3
Apr 17, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 18:21 on Apr 17, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

no lube so what posted:

so you send in one person to do tote bag shopping for cheap stuff while the comrade stuff their sweats full of steak

My sweats are already stuffed full of tubesteak

E:vvvvv :smith:

Failed Imagineer has issued a correction as of 19:17 on Apr 17, 2024

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Failed Imagineer posted:

My sweats are already stuffed full of tubesteak

cocktail weenies are not steak

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

safeway security has the power to ask if they can help you. and tell you 'please stop, you can't leave the store with that cart full of alcohol bottles'

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

no longer an option in NY state. Pay for paper bags, use your own, or carry your groceries out like the why can't i hold all these limes guy.

I just got back from new york state and they still ask you if you want it in paper bags even though they cost money so that's still requesting it from them idk

041724_4
Apr 18, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 02:57 on Apr 18, 2024

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

my chinese grocery store in brooklyn just uses giant plastic vegetable/fruit bags, one weird trick

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

In Training posted:

youre the warden. they loved your moxie.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

I just got back from new york state and they still ask you if you want it in paper bags even though they cost money so that's still requesting it from them idk

shut up

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_sccfex1tzS1qeenqg.mp4

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There are two of her now?

E: And I don't mean Mary Berg.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I went to the Walmart grocery-only store, the fresh country-market jamboree I think it's called. Anyhow, they had anti theft tags on each of the shopping baskets. Not carts but the actual hand held baskets. I idly wondered if they were like RFID tags that tracked your foot traffic and which aisles you went down and spent the most time in.

Nope, just for anti theft since those blue plastic baskets are evidently too enticing not to tag.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

palindrome posted:

I went to the Walmart grocery-only store, the fresh country-market jamboree I think it's called. Anyhow, they had anti theft tags on each of the shopping baskets. Not carts but the actual hand held baskets. I idly wondered if they were like RFID tags that tracked your foot traffic and which aisles you went down and spent the most time in.

Nope, just for anti theft since those blue plastic baskets are evidently too enticing not to tag.

lucky duck

mawarannahr posted:

they didn't have hand baskets at a Safeway I went to a couple weeks ago. "we took them out," they said, and suggested I use a cart. I think it's supposed to be for Loss Prevention but idk if that's gonna work out for them. I walked around the store putting items in my New Yorker tōte. i wonder if I could have gotten into trouble.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

palindrome posted:

When I worked retail many years ago, people taking baskets with them was a minor issue. I think it was mostly older people, my guess would be they forgot it belonged to the store or something. People bringing their groceries to the car using a basket, then leaving it outside was another issue. We were supposed to stop people exiting the store with them, but I can't remember anyone ever stopping someone. I even said yes when someone asked if they could do it as they said they would bring it back in.
I can see the appeal as the baskets are usually practical for storing stuff and have a decent size. And they are free.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
I use an old cart/basket combo thing as a laundry basket, big enough for a week+ of laundry and it has wheels

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fanfic insert posted:

I use an old cart/basket combo thing as a laundry basket, big enough for a week+ of laundry and it has wheels

hi grandma

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Arivia posted:

hi grandma

grandmas used that because they had humility and discipline which you lack

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Discipline, yes. Humility, hard loving no lmfao

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
your answer demonstrates a lack of humility

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
It's hard to stay humble as you effortlessly run circles around the losers stuck in a cart traffic jam.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

in her defense, she has stated that she frequently loans out her private jet to other rich and famous people so not all of those flights are hers....so really she's saving the enviornment because her friends borrowing her jet dont have to buy their own jet.

it's like saving the earth by carpooling.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

honestly if you’re taking your laundry to a laundromat or something it seems like a pretty pro idea. my own grandma creds are starting to come into form, I have a cookie tin full of sewing needles now

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Arivia posted:

honestly if you’re taking your laundry to a laundromat or something it seems like a pretty pro idea. my own grandma creds are starting to come into form, I have a cookie tin full of sewing needles now

i've been trying to make a conscious effort to take the bus places when it's easy to do so and the value of a good cart/bag/basket is one of those things that becomes self-evident when you don't have a mobile base of operations like a car.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
for decades, not having a car just meant you had to lug bags back and forth on the bus and make several trips just to get a weeks worth of food.

as opposed to just buy 20 bags of groceries and putting them in the back of your giant SUV.

at least now, with stuff like instacart that's kind of changing as the carless can get groceries like a normal human being.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Nastier Nate posted:

at least now, with stuff like instacart that's kind of changing as the carless can get groceries like a normal human being.

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

for decades, not having a car just meant you had to lug bags back and forth on the bus and make several trips just to get a weeks worth of food.

as opposed to just buy 20 bags of groceries and putting them in the back of your giant SUV.

I simply walk to the grocery store and carry the goods home.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

i just do groceries every few days at one of 12 supermarkets i pass during my bike ride to work
edit: like a normal human being

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

spechtie posted:

i just do groceries every few days at one of 12 supermarkets i pass during my bike ride to work
edit: like a normal human being

the guy walking already one upped this, you have to say that you like live at the grocery store or something

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

The Nastier Nate posted:

lmao :what:

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

i simply wake up at the supermarket and eat directly from the shelves

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

spechtie posted:

i simply wake up at the supermarket and eat directly from the shelves

ty

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Nastier Nate posted:

Americans just say stuff like this as if their lovely food-desert exurbs aren't literal hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Imagine buying 20 bags of groceries. Are you feeding a family of 12 teenagers for a week? Or are you buying bottled water because you live in a poo poo country?

I'm also on team bike past grocery store, although I will occasionally walk to one from home. I live in a weird enclave thing though, so it's like a kilometer to the nearest place, which means I'll take my bike mostly. When I lived in an apartment the nearest grocery store was pretty much as far away vertically as horizontally.