Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

That's existed for over a decade at least, I remember when I was an idiot teen I tried doing contract work through odesk and they have this software you run on your computer that takes screenshots of what you're doing every minute or so and if you weren't doing work you could turn it off or delete the screenshot but then not get paid for that minute, I'm kinda surprised that sort of thing isn't everywhere by now.

I guess it didn't take pictures of you at your actual desk but iirc they either added that or it was some kind of option you could enable or something.

I worked as an """independent contractor""" once as well with this kind of software being required. They registered mouse clicks and keystrokes as well to make sure. It did make me way more productive, but I'm pretty sure it would have the opposite effect in my current non-menial job. Also you bet I clicked a bunch of times on nothing to make the number go up.

It was kind of neat to see your stats though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

AceClown posted:

I think this fits here:

Anything in our power*

*: Removing paywall not included

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Makes a lot more sense than most other things people are stockpiling.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

is that the guy that hit the old gypsy lady with his car while he was getting a beej?

Just going to mention that gypsy is considered a slur nowadays. If it was relevant to the story, the word would be Roma, but since it's not, why mention it at all?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Loucks posted:

I was being a drunk jerk. you were forming plurals with an apostrophe, which is typically called the “greengrocer’s apostrophe.” Probably some class bullshit wrapped up in there, but it can create ambiguity.

Just to point it out: spelling based on rules learned in school and not on simple sound-to-letter relationships are a way to signify how educated you are with very little other communicative benefit. English is, unsurprisingly, extremely full of dumb spelling and arbitrary rules and exceptions. All apostrophes are poo poo.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm sure there is a certain amount of grift and general poo poo in the system, especially in the USA, but my experience here in Denmark is that 1-3 year daycare is way more than just a place to put your kids while you work. The staff (who we've been extremely lucky with) are doing a lot of professional pedagogy that I never even imagined, and it has really helped my son in a bunch more ways than some non-educated home daycare could realistically manage.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Thirty five loving dollars for 5 cans of 8 liters of compressed air. Great.

It comes from Canada but all these listings say "NOT FOR SALE IN CANADA", I wonder why that is

You only posted the shipping cost. The cost of one canister is $32 $25, five pack $159.99 $130. Plus shipping. Gotta grift hard.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hot take: tomatoes and especially other vegetables should be limited edition in the sense of being seasonal (and regional). The idea that I can get a loving tomato or avocado year round in Denmark is ridiculous and a huge waste in transport, greenhouses and poo poo.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

tomatoes are fruit, though.

The distinction is at best biologically but not culinarially meaningful, and at worst completely arbitrary.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Here in Denmark we have the amazing concept of queues for prisons. Meaning that if you are a non-violent/non-dangerous offender, you get to wait for years until there's room for you. Somehow, I bet that would invalidate any point of what ER is trying.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A bad system of punishment? Surely not!

Generally speaking though, we don't put that many people in prison, you kind of have to make an effort or be very brown. White collar crimes are usually punished with "if you do it again, we'll put you away for real".

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

Don't you just get to sit around in front of a playstation in Denmark prison

Yeah, it's this new thing where they try to rehabilitate prisoners instead of slave labour as punishment. The conservative party and the racist parties are trying to get rid of it, don't worry.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

And south east asia, africa and... uh... the rest of asia?

Probably not Antarctica though?

I mean, you can't be sure they don't keep a second Antarctic base just for detention and torture.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I like how we started at "photography is 90% skill, all that gear is just icing on top" and went full into gear mode. Over in the guitar thread we had a pretty good discussion on how discussing gear is basically useless, the point is playing something cool. But discussing gear is so much easier, so so talk about gear dominates discussion, leading people to buy more gear to sound good instead of figuring out how to sound good by playing cool stuff.

My point is that the nature of discussing hobbies lead to superfluous spending. Capitalism is cool and good.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Does it have a gun or will the racist algorithm just call the police or a private security firm to shoot my black friends?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Lol if you're using a graphic gui interface and not just text based internet browsing. Reading all the scripts and crap instead of seeing some design is so much more satisfying.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

blatman posted:

to be fair lsd costs like a dollar a liter if you know a chemist with dubious morals and you can have unlimited sugar cubes if you just confidently walk into car dealerships and raid their coffee kiosk

I think the point is more that you have to have free time enough to get super high without getting fired and subsequently evicted and starve.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Academic publishing is some scummy poo poo in general. Universities have their researchers do all the research, whereupon other researchers use their time to verify them. Then the publisher prints it out puts it online. For this universities pay the publishers, and we're not talking pennies.

It looks like there is a change coming, but for now we have a couple of large publishing companies basically sucking money out of research, with the added benefit of making it less available.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Serf posted:

ooh 10% of the profits, be still my heart!

What's your suggestion, everyone involved in the process be compensated equally, totalling 100% of the profits? What about shareholders? Reinvestment is actually borderline okay given the society companies exist in.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Actually, it's about ethics in video game development.

I miss my recently fired boss who bragged about how his old unit was simultaneously constantly taking the piss, working less than everyone else and way ahead on productivity. Turns out well-motivated workers are more productive.

He was fired because his superiors had hosed up royally and needed to show that they were taking action in a serious way. He had been in the job for half a year and had pointed out the fuckup several times...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

it’s debatable whether crunch time actually accomplished anything

Clocked time equals productivity equals accomplishments. Efficiency? That when you get more clocked time for less money.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

indigi posted:

that's wild, I had no idea New Zealand was only settled so recently

I think it's the same with Madagascar and Hawaii. It's the same "group" that discovered all three places. By boat. Starting in South East Asia. It's some pretty impressive poo poo.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

T-man posted:

i'm gonna make gender expression flour

and just put cocaine in it, checking it is misgendering the flour. then arm all trans people

Cocaine sourdough - for all your lockdown needs.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

If I remember right, the tactic used by the Polynesians was basically to sail against the current, because that way they could use driftwood and stuff to predict landmasses.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The general market price of coffee is below what it costs to produce. Coffee, along with chocolate, is some neocolonial crap. This is why I buy artisinal and ridiculously expensive coffee and sometimes chocolate, where I have some reason to believe that the money I pay actually benefits the farmers. This makes me a wanker, I know.

Fun fact: most coffee farmers don't drink coffee, because that's expensive, so they actually have no idea how it tastes.

Also the chocolate industry has a plan to stop "the worst kind of child labour" (child slaves) by live 2035 or something.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Marx Was A Lib posted:

lol just lol @ the idea of nestle giving up its child slaves

That's how long term plans to improve non-profit aspects of businesses work.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Capitalism hack: want to taste coffee but don’t want it to cost you an arm? Pick coffee beans from scat of the Asian palm civet.

We regret to inform you that this is now called “kopi luwak” and it is the height of culture.

Further fun facts: there are two types of kopi luwak: the one where the critter lives in the trees and eats the fruit and shits out beans. This is good coffee essentially because the critter does a good job cleaning the bean. This is also expensive and I have no doubt involves not paying labourers enough.
The other type is the shittiest cheap beans force fed to critters foie gras style. This is sold to tourists at a very high profit I'm sure.

The actual reason the good kind is good is the local soil and the fact that good a good washing of the beans in the area is difficult.

My general point is that coffee should be a luxury item, not something you drink five litres of every day.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They also like ethnic cleansing, a lot!

Say what you will, but with a good delivery method, ethnic cleansing is very environmentally friendly.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

If talking about it sold pepsi then yeah.
but it doesnt.

I just bought 600 cans of Pepsi, and I don't even like the stuff!

Brand awareness is a pretty big part of advertising. Having seen the art piece makes you more likely to notice the Pepsi in the store, and in turn more likely to buy it. It's subtle, but I believe it's very real on a population scale.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Giga Gaia posted:

i worked with an ad ops guy who unironically loved seeing banner ads. not for a cynical reason but because he saw them as the best way for him to see new poo poo to buy. he really hated all the garbage that came with them but loved the concept. a real purist. a disgusting monster

I gotta say, I enjoy targeted ads a lot more than old school generic ads. Occasionally I see new poo poo that I want. Then I usually proceed to not buy it because I don't need more crap. Also it's more fun to get ads for ball shavers and digging tools when the algorithm thinks they're relevant...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

T-man posted:

I've been Online since dial up and windows 95 loser

How did you get plugins for Netscape? I remember when plugins was a new exciting thing, and before that you were forced to load the pages as they were (pictures not always included because of the dial up).

What's hyperbole?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

VanSandman posted:

if someone wants to recreate the goat and post proof, can we really ban them for it?

Keyboard goop was an amazing post that was obviously goldmined, but the OP was still banned.

I also have fond memories of researching Kirk Johnson and seeing him shove grapefruit up his rear end like nothing. I think I might be slightly broken.

I remember setting hello.jpg as the background of my MP3 player way back and forgetting about it when handing it to friends.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ready for corporations having proxy wars! This is cool and good.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

She’s not loving the dog. That’s the line.

hth

Tbf, I'm willing to bet that some not insignificant percentage of the fetish dog people who write "no bestiality" or a variation thereof are writing it to get the site of their back but with a wink about private requests.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

I was curious: the Echo 8 and Echo Auto combined retail for $85. They're spending $185 on a holiday marketing campaign, and their employees do all of the labor unpaid for a chance at winning that.

Now now, they're not paying retail prices, the actual cost is much lower. Especially if they bothered to get the prizes sponsored, but that hardly seems worth it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Meanwhile in Denmark, the government pays for everything except dental, and you can go to a website to check how much the MRI scan you just got cost of you're curious.

Of course, you can still buy private insurance, and the horrible part of that you have a right to use a private alternative if the wait is too long in the public hospitals. The government still pays in that case, but they post whatever the private hospital feels is fair.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Salean posted:

wow what a hellscape of a country

smh

prayers go out

I mean, it's no America. But we have some good people trying to change that!

Meanwhile, we are having a debate about whether mink farming is worth a new covid strain. Surely fur coats are worth an extra pandemic! Luckily the government has (finally) decided to kill all mink. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54818615

Picture of dead animals:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dave Concepcion posted:

it probably depends a little on how hard tobacco is taxed, but here in norway where a pack of cigarettes is around $15, smokers more than pay for the health services they use, they also die in disproportionately large numbers shortly after retiring so they pay taxes and then don't spend decades receiving a pension making them a financial net gain for society

thank a smoker today

My friend with a PhD in health economics told me the math on this once (ten years ago, granted), and long story short, this only works for single, uneducated urban men. This was in Denmark, where taxes is like 60+% of the tobacco price. Cancer is long and complicated, and if you bother going to a doctor when you're in pain, treatment can take years, with expensive drugs.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

Sure, let's disincentivize something that actually reduces our carbon emissions, and use it to make it easier for companies to pay poverty wages.

:waycool:

I don't get it, how does that punish minorities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

maybe we should just tax deutche bank out of existence considering they've been caught laundering money for terrorists and the mafia

They've promised to behave, what more can you expect?

Just like the other times, where things definitely changed. Better do another bailout.