Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

actionjackson posted:

I still refuse to believe that Kylie whatever poo poo is reality

Yeah, thankfully it's a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://scholar.princeton.edu/sites/default/files/mgilens/files/gilens_and_page_2014_-testing_theories_of_american_politics.doc.pdf

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

mike12345 posted:

crowdfunding her to be a billionaire was a joke? oh ok

In a way, we're all crowdfunding billionaires. Also it's 2018 and everything is retarded.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Not with that attitude.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ah, poo poo. Gimme a minute.

Edit:

SplitSoul has issued a correction as of 01:55 on Jul 18, 2018

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/council-house-kensington-chlesea-grenfell-empty-any-names-housing-a8456906.html

Reminder that it would've cost literally £5,000 to not wrap Grenfell in napalm and murder 72 people. Half of the families aren't rehoused to this day.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Outrail posted:

Big deal, my electric company can do that without a fancy gadget.

Haha, reminds me of when the Social Democrats sold off control of our national energy grid to Goldman Sachs so they could extract profits through notorious tax shelter Luxembourg, and their immediate reaction to being warned about raising energy prices was almost literally, "Nice infrastructure you've got there. Would be a shame if anything like frequent outages happened to it." The company used to be called DONG and the Minister responsible for the sale immediately quit politics to work for McKinsey, the very same company that had advised the government on the deal.

i wonder what necklacing smells like haha im just curious for laughs haha i would like to smell it

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rows of big, beefy, black-clad supersoldiers and nary a carpenter between them, but as time passed the masses accepted The Grovertine. "It ain't pretty or even that sharp, but it gets the job done," they conceded.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Is there a better source for that? I'm asking because that particular Ministry has been marred by continuous scandals under the current government, mostly to do with manipulating numbers to let the agricultural industry gently caress the environment even harder.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Remember that dude from D&D's libertarian phase who was obsessed with thermal depolymerisation and prison stasis cubes?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

ate all the Oreos posted:

The only kind of AI we will ever produce is AM from I Have No Mouth. I mean hell DARPA already has a set goal of "a drone that can identify targets and make kill decisions completely autonomously" by 2040

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKYNET_(surveillance_program)

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQthFDpYCys

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Poorer people also give a greater percentage of their income to charity and typically not for the tax write-off.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

In Denmark, measures are underway to rename it White Friday in keeping with government policy. The next step will be to rename the remaining weekdays in a similar fashion.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

bradzilla posted:

jfc

I also just found out that donated blood is sold and makes soulsucking corporations rich to the tune of $300 a pint.

:suicide:

Isn't the story about rich assholes getting supposedly life-prolonging transfusions from young people toiling under student debt, like, at least a few years old by now?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Senor Dog posted:

ahh okay our prison pop is fine then i guess

I don't know about slaves, but IIRC the percentage is higher than the loving gulag system at its worst under Stalin.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

bradzilla posted:

"Life was better when there weren't no millennials whining about unions and fair wages labour was on the offensive, corporations and high earners paid reasonable tax rates and Glass-Steagal was still a thing :bahgawd:"

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I literally struggle to hold a book and read for more than 20 minutes.

What's wrong with your hands?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Another plus for books is that sometimes they aren't made with child slavery and will possibly survive a few years after the Great Collapse.

Unfortunately, having once worked stocking new books at a library, I can tell you that you'll mostly be reading weight loss books and bad romance novels.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Phrosphor posted:

It was actually a crucial turning point in how corporations treat people.

Slightly sturdier cups and bigger warnings. The coffee is still served at blazing temperatures IIRC.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

That's not what that post means, they're saying it's one of the critical points where corporations started actively plotting against individual people and using the vast machinery of society at their disposal to achieve that goal, not that McDonalds actually fixed anything.

Oh, right. Hadn't had my first cup yet. I just wanted to point out that the articles were wrong regarding changes in McDonald's serving practices.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

"You know what boomers put on toast instead of avocado?"
"What?"
"Mayonnaise."
"Goddamn."
"I've seen 'em do it, man. They loving drown it in that poo poo."

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

mojo1701a posted:

But if it's not a real bible, then it can't hurt vampires.

Someone obviously didn't think it through.

It's laser-etched in Braille on the grip. The gun is the Bible. :911:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

ubachung posted:

Nope. In fact the best predictor of success within the capitalist system seems to be how many sociopathic or psychopathic traits a person has. The closer to the top you are, the more likely you are to be selfish, ruthless and uncaring.

It also gives you brain damage.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/07/power-causes-brain-damage/528711/

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Wasn't there a big string of immigrant murders a few years ago in Germany that the authorities didn't give a poo poo about because it must just be those immigrants murdering each other, and then it turned out it was a bunch of white nationalists doing it

Yes, they were only discovered because they also killed a cop, before that it was simply the "Döner Murders". You know, because immigrants sell kebabs and are routinely shot execution-style with suppressors for no reason, must be the gangs. It's especially grievous since the age-old joke is that roughly half the neo-nazis in Germany are police informants. They also neglected to inform the vast majority of the 35,000+ people found on the various death lists discovered during the investigation, and those few they did inform weren't provided any protection whatsoever.

Another guy had acquired a fake identity as a Syrian asylum seeker and was planning false flag attacks, thankfully they caught that shithead in time.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zzulu posted:

Americans are getting absolutely annihilated by their corporations and it's incredibly weird that they're not causing more poo poo about it. Your work conditions are atrocious

Are americans just unaware of how it SHOULD be or do they just not give a gently caress

At least they had the presence of mind to ban yellow unions many, many decades ago, I'll give them that.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Moridin920 posted:

but what about in East Germany?

If this shocks you, don't look up Shiro Ishii or Unit 731.

Austria is currently ruled by a party established by a former minister in Adolf Hitler's government. There were tons of former nazis in West German intelligence. Only a tiny fraction of Einsatzgruppen members saw justice after the war despite being captured. Operation Gladio. "Never again."

At least RAF got one of those motherfuckers. Then Horst Mahler became a nazi himself and went to prison again. lol

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Propitious Jerk posted:

gently caress. I should have taken your advice.

quote:

Although the Soviet authorities wished the prosecutions to take place, the United States objected after the reports of the investigating US microbiologists. Among these was Dr. Edwin Hill (Chief of Fort Detrick), whose report stated that the information was "absolutely invaluable", it "could never have been obtained in the United States because of scruples attached to experiments on humans", and "the information was obtained fairly cheaply".

For those who don't want to look it up, Shiro Ishii makes Mengele look like Mr. Rogers.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Calico Heart posted:

lol I guess ousting and executing the leaders of several sovereign nations and replacing their elected-leaders with puppet rulers and even attempting direct invasion is a "culture war" that is acceptable.

No, the CIA literally pushed "degenerate art" and poo poo like jazz on the Soviets to destroy their culture. :lol:

ulex minor posted:

Well it's inconvenient to prosecute people if you want to use their data

Important data like "deliberately being subjected to frostbite really loving sucks", "people die when you vivisect them without anaesthesia" and "being tied to a post and exploded is also bad".

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

caedwalla posted:

The book Unit 731 Testimony is a good overview of the heinous poo poo they did to Chinese civilians during the war. I don't think your examples are even the worst things they did.

It should be surprising they weren't all executed post-war but nothing matters or has ever mattered so of course they weren't.

I should clarify, I'm using those examples as things that could be said to have some limited military value if you're already a monster. The rest is some hosed up Marquis de Sade poo poo. Even though the Soviets wanted them prosecuted, the few scientists they themselves captured were given relatively lenient sentences, considering that they had also experimented on Soviet civilians and POWs, and all but one who seppuku'd in prison were released by the '50s.

Nuremberg trials were mostly symbolic, tens and tens of thousands of people who actively participated in industrial genocide didn't suffer a single meaningful consequence from their actions.

That dude I mentioned that the RAF executed?

quote:

After his death Schleyer has been extensively honoured in Germany; the Hanns Martin Schleyer Prize, the Hanns Martin Schleyer Foundation and the Hanns-Martin-Schleyer-Halle are named in his honour. In 2017 German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier and the German government marked the 40th anniversary of the kidnapping.

quote:

After World War II, the Allies held Schleyer as a prisoner of war for three years because of his membership as an Untersturmführer in the SS. In his denazification proceeding, Schleyer falsely understated his rank so as to reduce his prospective punishment. He was repatriated in 1948. In 1949 he became secretary of the chamber of commerce of Baden-Baden. In 1951 Schleyer joined Daimler-Benz, and, with help from a mentor, Fritz Könecke, eventually became a member of the board of directors. At the end of the 1960s, he was almost appointed chairman of the board, but lost the position to Joachim Zahn. Successively, Schleyer became more involved in employers' associations, and was a leader in employer and industry associations. He was simultaneously president of the Confederation of German Employers' Associations (BDA) and the Federation of German Industries (BDI).

In Von Braun's case he came over with plans and examples of how he wanted to take rocket tech and make it bigger and better than the V2, I assume the bioweapons scientists also had a bunch of similar ideas the US wanted to see borne out. It makes sense if your goal is "make the worst weapons you possibly can, as fast as you possibly can, by any means necessary"

Yeah, they also had lots of data on bubonic plague bombs and poo poo. Some of their findings were even published in peer-review journals disguised as monkey experiments.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Faded Mars posted:

We need a *begins shakily loading Mosin-Nagant* meme or emoji.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

quote:

In one promotional video McCormick claimed that the device could detect elephants from 48 kilometres (30 mi) away.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Filthy Hans posted:

Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime
That's why I jerk it on company time

I drag my feet so slowly
The company takes a loss
Perusing memes, imagining
That the toilet is the boss

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The Bloop posted:

this is dumb and you know it

They aren't left wing enough by a fair bit, and maybe not by some arbitrary academic ruler you want to impose, but in the US they represent the only organized left.

Your post works better without the quote.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Senor Dog posted:

capitalism is not as bad as the holocaust. there I said it

lol, the Nazis were supported by German capitalists and supplied them with slave labour. They also literally invented the term "privatisation" and abolished all unions. Capitalism was integral to the Holocaust.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Duscat posted:

this is a dumb as gently caress take

look to the nordic states for capitalism tempered by a strong social democratic government and you'll see the one goddamn loving way humanity has out of this mess that doesn't involve gigadeaths

I actually live in one of those supposed Nordic utopias. The Social Democrats recently sold complete control over the public energy firm to Goldman Sachs for a pittance and have implemented some of the harshest austerity measures since the '80s.

The terminally neoliberal EU also has a stranglehold on the economic policies of its members. The Social Democrats changed their tune on that almost three decades ago and have been whittling away at the welfare state ever since, even when in opposition.

Ardent Communist posted:

But then you remember that during the revolution in Germany, the social democrats took power and hired proto-fascist veteran's groups to massacre them, killing two of their leaders (Rosa and Karl) and allowing the maintenance of capital.

And the Freikorps basically spawned Nazism, so yeah...

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

IIRC, U.S. prisons have more people incarcerated right now than the gulag system did at its worst under Stalin.

He was still a monster, though. Worse yet, the dashing hipster photographs from his youth were likely retouched.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Paladinus posted:

if we look at percentages, America right now has 666 (heh) prisoners per 100,000 citizens. USSR had 1200-1500 in the 1940s.

I meant in absolute numbers. Remember, we're comparing a dictatorship where people were being incarcerated in droves for nothing and a country that's supposed to have some semblance of a justice system with presumption of innocence.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Although Stalin himself died millions of times in the war against the Nazis, he also threw concentration camp survivors in gulags for being potential spies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

steinrokkan posted:

My life is pretty much comparable to the Auschwitz, typed a well adjusted poster.

Maybe the Kanada section? :shrug:

Edit: Everybody should watch The Death of Stalin, btw. Basically a documentary.