Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

just gonna pipe in ~as a Canadian~ and point out that while your healthcare system sucks donkey balls, Canadians love to gloat about a system where we have no dental, vision or psychiatric care included in the system (although if you want to jump through insane hoops, you can get some discounts, if you’re extremely low income)

additionally, my parents live in a province that forces people to pay for basic health cards (while unemployed I was still paying $150 a month) and in order to see a doctor they had to drive to the next town over. the Canadian fantasy that we have some perfect utopian healthcare system is a fallacy and also a direct poo poo into the face of anyone who suffers from anything malfunctioning above the neck

and beyond that, i take approximately zero pleasure in knowing the American health system sucks so bad. anyone who thinks that’s something to gloat over ignores who those policies victimize. im excited for you guys to one day have some basic medical coverage, after the revolution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

T-man posted:

as a trans woman I can't donate sperm or eggs, but my foot fetish video potential is up uP UP

well you can donate them, they just can’t be yours

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

snoo posted:

why is the old guy's straw so long

bigger mouth

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

so far, this is my favorite response to this whole thing

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Warmachine posted:

Yes but at the strip club I can at least suck down overpriced, overboozed drinks while watching naked people perform feats of gymnastic prowess.

fun fact, a strip joint in my hometown hired a locally renowned chef to come work in the kitchen there and it quickly became known for some of the best breakfast you could get in the downtown core

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Dolphin posted:

Okay just what the gently caress is going on with lumber

you have to make it into something else, it doesn't do much on its own. hth

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

https://www.thecut.com/2021/05/cheugy-is-being-sold-as-an-nft.html

quote:

Gaby Rasson, the 23-year-old who claims credit for the word, is selling cheugy as an NFT. “The collector of this 1/1 NFT will own a word,” Rasson writes on the listing. “I created the word in 2013. At first, it was just me and my high school friends using it. Fast-forward to 2021 and cheugy has gone viral.”

If the sentence “cheugy is being sold as an NFT” means absolutely nothing to you, good.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Paladinus posted:

I have never seen this word before, and I know every stupid meme in existence. The wikipedia article (along with a bunch of urban dictionary definitions) about it was created two days prior to the NFT announcement. I'm sure it's a very legit viral meme that any cool idiot who likes NFTs should buy.

remarkably, the idea of it being a fake viral marketing scheme in order to sell one $500 NFT is even more peak late-stage capitalism

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Paladinus posted:

It's bruschetta.

bruschetta isn't bread, it's the antipasto that goes on bread

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Breakfast All Day posted:

nah its the grilled bread most importantly, and is often just served rubbed with garlic and oil. the antipasto just gets most of the focus in american cuisine

i stand corrected. i always laboured under the delusion that it was the poo poo ON the bread, not the bread.

side note: restaurants are, in fact, the dirtiest places on earth. one place i worked at, which ground its own burgers, had such a bad cockroach problem that after a particularly vigorous bombing, hundreds of dead roaches spilled out of said grinder the morning after. no wonder all the food made everyone so sick

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Maybe.... it shouldn't cost money to die

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i believe that by "legislation" that poster was of course speaking to the latin root latus, referring to the practice of placing a large metal blade attached to a rope that could be raised above the head of certain powerful parties

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

what's the saying? ageing isn't half as scary as half the poo poo people do to avoid it?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

nexous posted:

the amount they lose in theft is probably less than the amount they pay in labor.

i'm not going to post the article because it's hyper specific to my area but reports of shoplifting is "skyrocketing" and it just blows my mind whenever someone is like "when you steal it means employees will get less hours :( you're really stealing from them" because that's just... not true. they added self-checkouts and knew people would steal more because it doesn't affect their bottom line that much. it has the dual benefit of making sure that you don't have to pay as many staff and you can threaten remaining staff with the omnipresent fear of automation.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Shame Boy posted:

Oh man you have no idea how much internal hemming and hawing actually goes on over that poo poo though. It is not at all some clear-cut simple calculus where they determined number smaller than the money they could save replacing people, and they (big grocery chains as a whole I mean, not just wal-mart) are constantly looking for magic solutions to the problem of "it's kinda trivially easy to steal from a self checkout".

i know this is from like a week ago but yeah, it is. lol and lmao and all that, but me and my family are all dead broke so i'm happy self-checkouts exist the way they do now for the time being.

anyway any plant in hot water is tea.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

coke is a tea

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

if the coke is hot it is tea, if it's cold, it's iced tea

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i used to get a big kick out of writing absurdist speculative fiction about the future but eventually i started to feel defeated by incidents in reality that were way funnier than anything i could ever write

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

McCracAttack posted:

Funny you should mention that. All of the lakes and rivers where I live have signs around them warning people how many fish they can eat per year before the lead poisoning kicks in due to all the industrial pollution in the area. But the signs are what people get mad about.

lol incredible

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

[standing over the river, poking the static carpet of decomposing lead-filled fish with a stick] tsk. my taxes better not go up.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Didn't he also eat like 6000 calories worth of McDonalds a day? No poo poo you got fat, Sprulock

from the wiki of the film:

quote:

After eating exclusively at McDonald's for one month, Soso Whaley said, "The first time I did the diet in April 2004, I lost 10 pounds (going from 175 to 165) and lowered my cholesterol from 237 to 197, a drop of 40 points." Of particular note was that she exercised regularly and did not insist on consuming more food than she otherwise would. Despite eating at only McDonald's every day, she maintained her caloric intake at around 2,000 per day.[26]

a number of people replicated the experiment without the insane parameters set up by an alcoholic with good results. spurlock's entire argument hinges on an exaggerated version of an american who he blames quite exclusively for the fact that they can't access good food a lot of the time but also somehow blames this on mcdonald's. i would probably argue that mcdonald's ended up filling a nutritional vacuum rather than intentionally displacing an existing one but what do i know.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i was congratulating myself for not being so gullible for once but then

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

PoundSand posted:

This could be overly paranoid but I feel like a lot of modern psychiatry/therapy is geared towards gaslighting patients into accepting their lovely place in life and being good worker bees. I mean when someone has legitimate reasons to be depressed or anxious about life slapping a therapeutic band aid on it seems questionably ethical. I mean not like someone's therapist has lobbying power or anything but I feel like the point of mental help is more to deal with temporary trauma not just a permanent garbage existence, I wonder if that comes up as a topic in the field or not as I imagine a lot of people get into it for entirely good reasons.

psychiatrists, therapists, counsellors, etc., are all still human and are therefore subject to the biases of their own personal ideologies or the ideologies that define their lives. it's actually a very contentious subject in the field of psychology about whether or not certain symptoms/syndromes/disorders exist in a vacuum or are legitimately disordered on their own, or if we simply define them that way since they don't support capitalist interests.

it's a science that is still very much in its infancy but is nevertheless enshrined with a sense of authority despite being changed like, every decade or so to represent changing attitudes. this is a discipline that up until relatively recently defined homosexuality as an illness, and continued to use a eugenicists definition of which autistic people could get jobs and which could not. we used to use the veil of science to explain why some slaves didn't enjoy slavery, and made it into a pathology. it's silly to suggest we're automatically more right about the less "functional" members of our society now than we were twenty, fifty, one hundred years ago and that we're getting closer to some rigid truth about humanity rather than closer to making people who loving hate work into a definable category of pathologically resistant cases.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i worked in a french restaurant over christmas that i literally helped build (like, i helped install the bar) and on the first night, the shift manager, who was drunk, yelled at me in front of a table so i took off my apron and asked him for my paycheck in cash. i think the fact that i was dangerously depressed evaporated any sense of shame whatsoever. but he did it anyway. i will never be able to access that level of power again.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

wasn't there an addendum inside some recent movement in congress that defined people as "human capital" right before going onto explain we need children to work more. did i imagine that

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

ArmZ posted:

chaos is a ladder.
violence is a hammer.
debauchery is a screwdriver.

ennui is a webcam
identity is a subscription
bats are bugs

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Weatherman posted:

isn't this supposed to end with "4,385,626,836 dead cops" or something?

ennui is a webcam
identity is a subscription
bats are bugs
4,385,626,836 dead cops
the world is a fire

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

BonHair posted:

What the gently caress are y'all printing anyway? I had a printer for uni, but as soon as I graduated, it just collected dust. On the off chance I need to print, I can do it at work or the library, but it's love once every several months

i need one, can i have yours

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

wash bucket posted:

Every time I think I've nailed down what they mean by "woke" they throw me a curve ball.

i think this is why my dad called me to ask me to explain woke was, which i did but had to add them addendum that right-wing nutjobs like to just use it as a snarl word for anything and everything

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

capitalism breeds innovation

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Shame Boy posted:

There are regions where OpenFortune is seemingly the only available cookie and every Chinese restaurant serves them as their default cookie with meals.

They're best known though for these not at all hilarious in hindsight FTX ones:

this is art

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Shame Boy posted:

The best part is they had bought so much that they were still getting handed out at restaurants after it imploded lmao

can you put situations into the smithsonian

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i love "landlord, 22" as a descriptor. very loaded

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

and yet i still feel like this fake employee's salary was shockingly low

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Raldikuk posted:

And with how fast food has been running on skeleton crews she probably was actually doing the work of two or three people anyway.

i work in bars mostly, but i'm sure the post-pandemic dynamic is the same for fast-food service, too: companies realized they could burn out one or two people for a serious discount by constantly telegraphing to them that "no one wants to work anymore" and saying that people simply weren't applying. i have zero doubt that this woman didn't get caught until she earned another 20k simply because on paper, she was probably demonstrating the productivity of an entire rear end other human being for an extended period of time. anyway, i hope she uses her administrative prowess to develop a fake identity and swindles some other company out of even more money.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Paladinus posted:

Nobody wants to work anymore.

i sure don't

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

omg hi lol

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

SpacePig posted:

Isn't that genuinely what they're striking over right now?

that and living off pennies for residuals

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

starkebn posted:

moving fast and breaking things

every single time someone gives me poo poo for not having a "real job", i remember things like this. people who talk/think like this are ghouls and the hustle-grind mindset is loving poison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

The Demilich posted:

"I'm getting dogpiled on for being a doofus and can't post a single pic, but sure let's say we're debating as if I'm still on equal footing despite all these valid criticisms being thrown my way!"

is there a way to make this image the background of the thread