Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Panfilo posted:

These tend to be the highest paying and desirable prison jobs, and also are held to the highest scrutiny since the risk of escape is probably higher than other prison jobs. The same type of people that would have to be forced to go out there probably wouldn't qualify for the task in the first place.
Yeah, idk what people are complaining about here. The prisoners get paid $15 dollars per day and A WHOLE DOLLAR PER HOUR EXTRA when they're working at an active fire. Plus they get out into the fresh air.

https://www.kqed.org/news/11846622/whats-next-for-incarcerated-firefighters-in-california

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Professor Shark posted:

i cant tell if you guys are joking

do you actually get a prison bill? how can someone in for five years ever pay that iff, given their new hard to hire excon status?
It's just a new riff on a very old strategy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convict_leasing

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I was told I can observe Juneteenth however I feel, with the subtext that I should observe it by working. "Unlimited" vacation policy kicks rear end.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

So just to be clear, there is no relationship between mandolins and mandolines?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

indigi posted:

they don’t have a plan though. if we know anything about profiteers it’s that they don’t have a plan beyond the next fiscal year. they’re not going to do anything about it while profits are to be had
They got their bunkers in New Zealand and the post-apocalypse help will all have Battle Royal style exploding neck collars to prevent any funny business.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Paladinus posted:

What about poor people who don't 'create wealth'?
They still Create Value by serving as an example to the proletariat of what could happen to them.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

RandomBlue posted:

Love going to a Catholic hospital and being told they won't treat me because my issue was a complication from a vasectomy. Will never go to another Catholic hospital by choice again.
This is something that actually happened?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Shame Boy posted:

Also they're dancing around it by calling it "sand" but really it's closer to silica gel, so finally we may one day be allowed to eat those tempting do not eat packets.
You *can* eat the silica packets. They are completely nontoxic but the dessicant industry people want it all for themselves.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

panboned

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Baller Ina posted:

its dutch bros causing chaos here in OR btw
Dutch bros people are always backing up traffic onto major arterials around here. Their most popular drinks are these horrific energy drink things, which are somehow bought by grown adults:

quote:

SHARK ATTACK
Blue Raspberry, Coconut, Lime w/ Pomegranate Drizzle

There's no escaping the awesome taste of Dutch Bros' Shark Attack Rebel™ Energy Drink. This epically charged drink combines our Dutch Bros Rebel™ Energy Drink with blue raspberry syrup, coconut syrup + lime syrup then tops it off with a pomegranate syrup drizzle! Available iced or blended!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

mawarannahr posted:

just discovered the Bourgeois-King family. so far there’s an artist and a realtor: https://nspotters.com/terrylee-bourgeoisking
Name like that and she makes her own pots and poo poo, instead of getting other people to do it for her and stealing their labor value. :sad:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

That sounds like a lot of dumbass meetings that don't accomplish anything, no wonder she's rich.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I need to come up with a better term for "making bad posts during working hours" to put on my calendar.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

That Old Ganon posted:

My dumb weed company is throwing a Christmas party, and initially we were allowed to bring a +1 so long as they came in the last hour of the party. Now they're letting +1s in at the start of the party, so long as they pay 50bux to enter to access food and two drinks. :wtc:

I'm embarrassed for these assholes.
It's nice to know that your company values you, and your +1.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

:chanpop:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

when your growth patterns don't resemble cancerous tissue,

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Loose leaf tea is cheaper per pound. I just make it in a coffee press that I don’t use for coffee and it works fine.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

you can do that or just loss it into the pot and pour carefully
Yeah there’s a million easy ways to do loose leaf. Honestly don’t know why bags are so dominant. It’s not like those lovely coffee bags ever took off. I’m not anti bag or anything, I drink bagged sometimes. But it’s still weaker, more expensive, and lower quality sweepings, everything else equal.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

actionjackson posted:

also herbal tea is not tea it's tisanes

tea comes from camelia sinesis and thus has caffeine
Ackshually,

I order my weirder teas from the same place, they're good.

https://perennialtearoom.com/collections/smoky-and-roasty-teas/products/russian-caravan-smoky-bulk

cat botherer has issued a correction as of 22:13 on Dec 26, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Professor Shark posted:

I’ve only come across a couple types of plastic bags. aren’t most teas in paper?
Only the fancy ones are plastic (not really joking).

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

One of my favorite things about food stamps is that you can't use them for prepared food, because the lazy poors should do their own cooking. As a result, homeless people on food stamps basically have to live off chips and poo poo (well, at least as far as the tiny amount of money goes).

COPE 27 posted:

97% of poor "people" have a refrigerator

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

mawarannahr posted:

the average American is much more used to driving. I mean this seriously. if you’re highly accustomed to driving and it doesn’t make you feel bad or challenge you with something you’re not sure how to proceed, it can be easier to achieve a goal doing something you know how to do. in short, gently caress off
You're really living up to your custom title there.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

In Training posted:

Having diarrhea is awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwxqfEMiO0g

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

It’s okay to sometimes disagree with people who aren’t white.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

tokin opposition posted:

You do not get points for the absolute bare minimum of indifference to others

Also it's transgender, not transgendered. It's not a one and done thing
I don’t believe in transgender.

Side note: anti-trans people seem to have very poor understandings of word inflection. I always seem to hear the above, which just makes it sound so bizarre.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I want that to be built and to attract all manner of rich people.

And then I want terrorists to sink it on a transatlantic cruise.
A storm would do that, no need for terrorists.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Related to dumb fucks not understanding the ocean, The Ocean Cleanup Project (which has raised > $100 million) wants to scoop up plastic in the open ocean with basically these big booms with filter things attached. You have probably heard glowing stories about this. They claim it can be cost-effective by collecting and recycling the extremely degraded plastic it gets. It is beloved by rich bazingas because it sounds like a way we can keep doing what we are doing and magic the problems away with technology.

However,
1. The ocean is really big, and even the full-scale setups they are proposing wouldn't make any difference.
2. The ocean is extremely violent and corrosive.
3. Because of (2), the plastic is all in the form of microplastics, distributed in the first 100m of the water column. It can't collect below the first 2 meters.
4. Also because of (2), even small test setups in calm waters off the Netherlands get blown the gently caress apart at the first storm. Full-scale setups would be subjected to much greater forces. It turns out marine engineering is hard and there's a reason why it is its own discipline, but lol at that mattering. So far, the project has generated much more marine plastic pollution than it has collected.
4. It also scoops up any ocean life in the first 2m.

https://deepseanews.com/2016/06/the-ocean-cleanup-deployed-a-prototype-and-i-honestly-have-a-lot-of-questions/

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Shame Boy posted:

Where'd you see that, cuz supposedly they've collected 100 metric tons.

Still a real dumb idea though.
All the collectors and booms that have been busted apart add up to more than that.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

The trash wheels actually work relatively well. The trash is concentrated and non broken down in estuaries, plus there’s no violent storms.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

DACK FAYDEN posted:

you're better off making some co2 right now by burning it than letting the bacteria methane it up in a year because methane is fuckin awful
But enough about last night's schwarma,

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

A Bakers Cousin posted:

its a bit worth doing, ive been to a few and they are funny
I once drug my parents along with me to Europe. Went to a lot of those places because foreign foods are unfamiliar and scary.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Edmund Sparkler posted:

A couple of the discount grocery stores in my town save the cardboard boxes the cases of merchandise come in for the customers to put their groceries in. It's a pretty good system and I save some of the boxes to ship packages in so they get good use before they get recycled.

It’s such an obvious solution and way easier than carrying a bunch of bags that rip.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I have a bag that doesn't rip. Suck it, bagailures.
Hold that bag

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

The Nastier Nate posted:

Not Philly cause the trains stop at midnight. I have many a memories of taking a drunken $40 cab ride home at 2 AM in my 20s.

I always assumed BART was pretty good but I’ve never been there.

Chicago…maybe?
BART is a gently caress. Old, dirty, and insanely expensive

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I thought the entire point of riding lawnmowers was to make it easier to drink beer while you're doing it

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

emf posted:

you ever hear the phrase "piss like a horse"?

now you know where it comes from
Pissed like a horse

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Shame Boy posted:

The one you're thinking of is probably the Goiânia accident, but that's actually happened more than once cuz sometimes hospitals just go out of business and don't bother to clean up the highly dangerous isotopes in the expensive anti-cancer machines, whoops!

e: Prolly should add a :nms: tag or something cuz boy that wiki article is a loving bummer :sigh:
That got me thinking about the Theravada-25, whose story is a good crossover with the tech nightmares thread

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therac-25

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Joey Steel posted:

Dorr, don't mind me I was thinking of radiation cancer treatments. Probably because I married a cancer doc.
I love my cancer wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

mawarannahr posted:

you reminded me of this
It may help prevent soot formation, you never know!