Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

wire good

libs bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

also i don't know anybody who would willingly use an instant messaging service that was actively monitored by an algorithm or *anything* for that matter lol. nobody's asking AT&T to listen to all phone calls is an appropriate analogy, i think

you'd better sit down, i have some bad news about what's been going on the past 20 years

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

EmbryoSteve posted:

Am I getting whooshed? 200 $ a week for child care is absurdly cheap, mindboggling cheap. Like $800 a month is half of the cheapest daycares around here (seattle area)

lol here in dc it's 500+ per week lmao at ever having children

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

upsidedown posted:

Is that a USB port on the pants?

that's the belt that spongebob uses to hold up his squarepants

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

tokin opposition posted:

I mean sure

Just watch the ending of robocop

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I mean they have paper bags but you don't "request" them you pick yourself what kind of bag you buy.

at my grocery store you can "request" paper bags by asking for paper instead of plastic

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

no longer an option in NY state. Pay for paper bags, use your own, or carry your groceries out like the why can't i hold all these limes guy.

i'm glad governor glenn youngkin has kept the Commonwealth of Virginia as the bastion of freedom and liberty it has always been

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Bagpilled carrymaxxing. Real grocerycore poo poo.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Eat This Glob posted:

people around here just walk off with carts to get their groceries home and somebody picks them up, i think? they're usually not on the curb for more than a day or two

i think they put gps locators on the things these days

a lot of them have electronic brake things that stop one or more of the wheels if they get too far from the store

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Sometimes they even fire off when you’re in the middle of the store, full of groceries, pushing them toward the register

lmao that owns

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i think it makes people leave the cart instead of stealing it, so it's good you follow the rules

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
heading to the grocery store to sideload the tiktok apk onto all the shopping carts

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Dylan16807 posted:

Let's not exaggerate in the other way. It was mostly automated but not enough, as a lot of AI stuff is.

lol

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Dylan16807 posted:

Probably 90% of individual items worked fine.

oh yeah for sure

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I bet 90% of it worked fine and Amazon never bothered to brag about that, because they're humble

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Subjunctive posted:

they wouldn’t brag about it because 90% is not really successful for that sort of system

i bet if they could say "it worked 90 percent of the time" instead of "if didn't work 70 percent of the time" they would have

im just pointing out that if the info they released was that bad, there's really no reason to assume "golly it probably worked way better than they even said"

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Dylan16807 posted:

Two different measurements.

I'm suggesting that 70% of trips needed manual checking, while probably less than 10% of items needed manual checking, because a trip has several items.

In that situation the computers are unacceptably bad but also the Indian employees are not doing a big fraction of the work.

i'm suggesting you're just making numbers up for some reason and i don't understand why

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Subjunctive posted:

did they release the rate of human intervention, or did it leak?all the stuff I saw about it was “according to a person who has worked on the technology” and so forth. and then

where are you seeing Amazon release the numbers? that doesn’t sound like something they would do, but I haven’t been following the story closely. (note that the leak is talking about two years ago and the spokesperson is talking about “currently”, so it makes sense that they don’t line up)

do you really think information like this is a genuine leak and not a company doing pr

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
women be havin hair, that much is for sure

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

BonHair posted:

New gender binary just dropped.

Hair (from above the eyes) touching shoulders? That's a woman. Shoulders untouched by head hair? That's a man.
The implications for afros are a feature.

yep.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Owlbear Camus posted:

they are members of SEA PATROL. It is a heavily militarized fascist organization with an unlimited budget for flamethrowers, jetpacks, and diver-eating submersibles.

The sole remit of SEA PATROL is to stop unauthorized recreational divers from doing amatuer SCUBA after it was outlawed, and they will deploy lethal force and summary executions to do so.

To be clear, the authorial voice tells us that this is a good thing and the hobbyist divers have it coming.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3757384&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It is one of my favorite pieces of Unwell Brain Outsider Art ever to exist on the internet.

this is incredible

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
it's so context specific it's about as useful as "if your car is gray the insurance will be cheaper"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

The Nastier Nate posted:

the worst job application i ever filled out was IT director for some NGO, and I did the usual bullshit of uploading your resume, then entering your information and work history into the next several form screens of what was already in the resume.

after that was a page with like 10 essay questions, dumb poo poo like "what do you believe the role of non-profits are in todays society" anyway i assumed i would definetly at least get an interview because no one in their right mind would spend the 4 hours it took to me apply for 1 job and there would probably be a limited candidate pool.

well you can guess how that went, a thank you form letter 6 months later letting me know the position had been filled. too bad this was before the days of chatGPT where i could have just copied and pasted an answer in in a couple minutes.

being a good boy and writing a lot didn't get you the job? That's a shock

*job advice voice* did you try saying in your cover letter that you really wanted the job