Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Can't feed your insatiable gambling habit with sports betting? Try naked options trading!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Influencers vs Brand Advocates is the new Nintendo vs Sega

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

"Brought to you by Karl's Jr" is a brand advocate

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

nexus6 posted:

To what end? To stop low-income people having kids? Or to rake in more off people who do?

Regulatory capture from large, for-profit daycare centers to advantage themselves in the marketplace. Same crap we've seen in the industrial food industry in years past and now in social media: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/earn-it-bill-governments-not-so-secret-plan-scan-every-message-online

It's inevitable that these regs are branded as protective but are written to advantage incumbent, highly profitable businesses and protect them from competition from smaller organizations and businesses that can't meet regulatory hurdles.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Terrorists might have a remote controlled drone or like a paper airplane. The solution?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV3jfR-FUFc

A billion dollars of lasers.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

God yes I can't wait for the advertising machine to ramp this poo poo up and convince everyone that flying to Aruba is healing the loving environment somehow (DON'T ASK QUESTIONS)

quote:

“Sustainable tourism is sort of a low bar. At the end of the day, it’s just not making a mess of the place,” said Jonathon Day, an associate professor focused on sustainable tourism at Purdue University. “Regenerative tourism says, let’s make it better for future generations.”

“Travel is an important vote of your principles,” said Mr. Baker of OneSeed. “When you decide to put your time and resources into a trip, you’re affirming that’s the type of business you want out there.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/27/travel/travel-future-coronavirus-sustainable.html

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

TastyAvocado posted:

This stuff doesn't usually bother me really but that article is infuriating, I'm flushed.

It's because most modern capitalists are not explicitly colonialist in their personal views, so when you see a guy using the same talking points that were used to justify the Belgian Congo to justify his own business practices it's really jarring.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

T-man posted:

yelling "generic body model" as my mom walks in and does a deepfake of a child she could have been proud of

haahahaha

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

Bullshit. They're pure, unadulterated bullshit.

Capital wants to know how to most efficiently exploit labor, so they latch onto any psuedo-scientific sounding crap that promises to give them numbers to look at. Agile methodology is that. The idea is that you have sprints (defined chunks of time like two weeks or whatever) that your team does stuff in, and the team has a certain amount it's possible to do in that time. Theoretically, that's measured in points, so you estimate how much stuff you'll be able to fit in the sprint by how many points your team has available, and how many each thing will be to do.

However, you get into a few problems here. First, nobody knows what a point is. Is it a measurement of time? If so, how much time per point? Or is it a measure of difficulty or effort? Who knows? But you'd better get the number right. Which brings me to the second problem: everybody sucks at estimating. Sometimes you get things right, based on whichever definition of a "point" you're using (which is hopefully in the same universe as the definitions used by other people where you are). But sometimes you're laughably off, like the three-days-turning-into-three-months thing (or the opposite). And then you have people making timelines off of what are effectively guesses pulled out of somebody's rear end that get set in stone as The Delivery Date Which Shall Be Met.

In case you can't tell, I'm not much of a fan. Maybe it works somewhere, but I've never seen it.

The mistake most companies/dev orgs make is trying to use them as a performance indicator. They're not, they're a way for a group of experts to have a conversation about inputs to difficulty based on individual assessment. The performance indicator of an estimation system is whether the estimates get closer to reality over time, not number go up.

Of course that implies you shouldn't use a formula like "we have two teams, each team generates 10 points per 2 weeks, they estimated this pile of poo poo at 90 points, ergo we'll be done in two months" and medium/long-range estimation is a completely different problem than estimating whether a team can make demonstrable progress on some piece of relatively well understood engineering work in a week or two. That might imply annual or multi-year planning is actually hard and not bing bong so easy to derive from daily or weekly task estimation. And that might imply that actually the people failing are the managers and strategic planners rather than the people at the coal face when the estimates turn out to be junk.

Inevitably most companies' agile or scrum adoption is pure cargo cult bullshit papering over management failure, so it shouldn't be that surprising that it doesn't achieve anything except allowing business consultants to siphon off a few tens of thousands more dollars.

But I think in a workers' cooperative the descendants of those systems could be effective for many groups. :unsmith:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Time to disrupt black bloc

https://meridian.vision/products/mountain-research-for-protester-nylon-overpants-black

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

T-man posted:

love a good brand mythology, i like to imagine the pepsi logo loving a duck just like zeus

same

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Forceholy posted:

Is it? I thought it would be more. There are plenty of women who managed to make thousands or even millions off of onlyfans.

It's naked youtube. You hear and see the people who are getting the money but there are tens of thousands making next to nothing for every one of them.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

Also this lmao:

We can't make poor people starve to death, think of the loss of profits that would cause for Kraft Foods!!!

It's just corporate welfare on both ends; they can pay starvation wages because the government will step in and then they are the grocery of last resort for the same people so they of course hoover up all the money. But the cruelty to poor people makes it ok.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah, we're all going to die.

You're just being negative. Now all three legs are there for my Immortan Joe ETF: water, bullets, and guzzoline.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Greg12 posted:

It was loving embarrassing to read my colleagues in government and academia whose job is regulating and researching this poo poo go on about rebuilding our cities around robocabs.

I'll tell you a lil secret.

The robocab fetish was never about efficiency or cost savings. It was about convenience for the PMC (by reducing the cost and inconvenience of unsustainable development patterns to them as individuals) and the further destruction of labor's political power by providing an excuse to eviscerate public transit. And, much like the private automobile was before it, they will subsidize the absolute ever-loving poo poo out of the robocab for as long as it takes to make it viable.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/12/19/armored-ferrari-458-speciale-addarmor-prototype/

$625k is a small price to pay for armor protection from the lumpens who spent their trumpbux on handguns and get mad when you rev out your ferrari next to their tent at 2 in the morning

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

indigi posted:

I know a guy who went out to be a firefighter in LA and one of the questions is "what if you see a fellow firefighter steal something from the location of a fire?" you think the answer would be "I'd turn them in," but apparently, according to their HR psychologists, even acknowledging the idea that someone might steal makes a candidate much more likely to steal themselves. you're supposed to say "that would never happen"

Now in our next experiment, if you replace "fellow firefighter" with "fellow police officer" and "steal something from the location of a fire" with "shoot a Black kid in cold blood" an interesting thing happens

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

is that....a gutted burger king?

where are you supposed to shower? in the utility sink?

Deep fryer.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

boar guy posted:

just get install this shower-sharing app that lets you take a shower in random people's houses, try a blastpass for up to 5 free showers a month restrictions apply

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

boar guy posted:

you joke but it already exists for swimming pools :)

It's only a joke until some VC trashcan person sees it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Len posted:

I've been joking about an app all week where people post their animals and then someone pays to hang out with them. It started exclusively as an app for getting to hang out with cool dogs but then turned into all animals are welcome

If I ever see an app where you swipe right on cute dogs I blame you

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Len posted:

the way i have it pictured is that you can rate the animal you just hung out with and anyone who rates less than 5 stars is blacklisted

all pets are 5 star pets even if snakes are icky and birds are scary

https://twitter.com/dog_rates/status/1343718128744689664?s=20

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

You want that latte woke or not woke

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm going to increase access to crying, traumatized doctors working with no equipment in a parking lot in the middle of winter. The Oldest Man for president.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

BonHair posted:

I'm assuming that's margin after management salary, dividends and reinvestment.

Didn't Kroger spend like 1.5 billion dollars on stock buybacks last year

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

All of this stuff sounds hard, why not piggyback onto an existing society and just bribe lobby the government to change the laws you don't like?

That's what this is

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I love how "I sometimes do this pro bono or have financial aid options" isn't even on the radar not even as a fig leaf

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

peeps hanged but the domestic baby food market sorta collapsed for a while too lol

even now peeps pick up western baby food whenever they go, if theyre rich enough to go

Well now all the rich Chinese folks's kids have lead poisoning lol

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

Gonna go ahead and guess that the punchline is it's exactly the same gear in exactly the same amount, maybe with "Mod.2" tacked on to the end of things to ensure we threw everything out and bought it again.

The changes can basically be summed up as:

-A shitload of heavy, expensive body armor to protect our precious propaganda ministry from flag-draped coffins boys from harm. I think the full kit of armor an infantryman carries on a patrol now can tally up to 60 lbs and a couple thousand bucks all by itself when you include the helmet, shoulder guards, dick flap, and plates.
-Expensive electronic optics and comm gear and expensive and heavy batteries for the electronics
-MORE AMMO which by itself isn't very that expensive but adds with the prior to items to a very expensive problem, namely
-Holy poo poo the standard patrol kit for a marine or soldier is now 150 loving lbs, get me general dynamics and tell them I need five hundred thousand carbon fiber belt buckles! Cost-plus!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

Oh and they take non-rechargeable proprietary batteries that are $15,000 each.

Also we're currently out of the batteries so stay tuned on that and you'll have to carry the both the old and new radios in the meantime

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you make everyone join the military the public may be less supportive of pointless meatgrinders. Defend the homeland, sure. Send kids your kids halfway around the world to fight for oil profits? Nah.

It literally doesn't matter what the public at large supports or doesn't support in this country regarding policy outcomes. They're non-correlated. The only people who actually matter in that respect are people with 100+ million dollar net worths.

Mandatory conscription won't matter to them (and never has) because there are plenty of ways for a sufficiently rich or connected person to escape the draft.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

BonHair posted:

I thought Usa actually had way better traffic mentality than most other countries? Like actually driving safely and mostly respecting other drivers and following the rules? Obviously with exceptions, but in general.

Is this a bit

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The best PNW driver behavior is when I'm out walking my dog, am 30+ feet from the corner on the sidewalk, and a car waits at the intersection trying to give me the "right of way" as my dog goes into the grass and starts peeing while the driver continues to wait, blocking traffic behind him

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The same driver will also make a right turn on red into a zebra crosswalk with a lit walk sign without looking because he's too busy looking the other way at oncoming traffic btw

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pedestrians have the right of way here, but PNW drivers will by turns apply that as "anyone on a sidewalk anywhere near the corner means i must wait silently at this stop sign and block traffic indefinitely" when they see a person within one cubic lightyear of the intersection they want to drive through and "oh sorry i rammed your dog in a crosswalk with a lit walk sign because i was too loving stupid to look in the direction of travel before accelerating and therefore you did not exist for me in my babybrain"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Nitevision posted:

Uh I wish I had this problem. In Seattle I've been honked/yelled/revved at for crossing streets at unmarked intersections (which legally acts like a crosswalk and gives me the right of way) and almost killed because a fella in a big ol swingin dick F-250 right by Pike Place tried to gun his left turn to beat me through the crosswalk while I was crossing lol. I used to have to regularly cross at one of the crosswalks painted right at the entrance of a 99 onramp (such a sick design) and the only drivers who would reliably stop to let me cross were semi-truckers.

Basically I agree with Thanatosian that it seems like 60-70% of drivers don't really know traffic laws whatsoever here

Anybody driving a big pickup truck in Seattle is from the hinterlands and lusts for pedestrian death

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

This guy's a concentration camp guard or near enough

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

human garbage bag posted:

Eh, I never considered the Sonderkommando to be evil, so I won't consider this guy to be evil. Just another victim of the system.

Lollin at the comparison of a guy volunteering for the American SS to death camp conscripts

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

human garbage bag posted:

Yes, being a frontline border guard isn't pleasant work.

Are you just going to continue equating death camp conscription to voluntarily taking a paid job for la migra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

During every hurricane we get some cato institute fuckwad blathering about how price gouging laws are so unfair and counterproductive because if we just let gas go to infinity dollars during an emergency it would incentivize people to buy armored trucks and drive gas into the disaster zones (presumably during the hurricane). So presumably in this case once the price goes high enough someone will be incentivized to load a bunch of electricity up into a truck and drive it into the blackout areas and plug it into the grid.

Free market extremists actually believe that someone will see electricity costing 5000x what it usually does during a disaster and they'll be ready next time with a secret extra stash of electricity to make their fortune from this gap in the market!

Instead of actually happens which is ghouls gouging the gently caress out of people on stuff they just happened to have available by circumstance while the shortage continues unabated.