Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

post symbolic representations of our precarious and soon to be defunct global economic system!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

No politics threads in GBS !

:lol:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

it's not a giraffe it's a homeless person

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

I'm a giraffe but I'm very intelligent

you're a future homeless person

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

congrats tho

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I make a point of asking rich ppl to eat my rear end in a top hat before I allow them to be my friend

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

holy poo poo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

You, sir, are a fine motherfucker

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

No loving way. I call bullshit.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Porch Pirate

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:vince:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Dennis System posted:

World wide, the average life span, quality of life, education, and million other things have dramatically improved thanks to capitalism.

:laffo:

"NUMBER GO UP" :downs:

Mercrom posted:

even globalism has a lot more to do with technology than any dumb ideology of economics

Define "globalism" for us

A fine rubric

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mercrom posted:

i meant globalization. words are hard

:) now tell us why globalization is not related to economics

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

unless you just mean "boats sailed around the world that one time"

I'm attempting to suss out whether you understand the meaning of these words you are using.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Our progress is because we are able to globally cooperate and communicate on unprecedented scales not because Elon Musk and his ilk who would love to see the planet choke on filth while they live in Elysium hth

Neoclassical Economics and global trade and finance have been intricately linked with technological advances of the last 120 years, is all I'm saying.

Globalization, Economics, Finance, and Technology are all part of the same system of human exploitation and environmental spoilage.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

It's a moot argument anyway because so what. Even if true and capitalism was the best thing for us and it is all at the feet of the free market well great it did its job and now is clearly hindering more than it is helping and we should realize that instead of worshiping ideological bullshit or saying that even attempts to criticize/reform anything are somehow incredibly dangerous. An economy should serve society not the other way around.

yeah, we're agreed. I was talking about this nonsense post

Mercrom posted:

even globalism has a lot more to do with technology than any dumb ideology of economics

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hammerite posted:

I liked this thread when it was funny pictures and not a heap of people going "well actually" at each other

NO MORE WORDS MOTHERFUCKERS

where is that motherfucker guy

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

guy on left looks like your av

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the flowers are where her breasts would be in case you missed it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Blue Train posted:

nothing wrong with seizing the means of reproduction, get it girls

for all wombmankind?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

This is like that scene in Dredd where the dude shoots up a mall full of people and the loudspeaker announces that the mall will reopen in 30 minutes after the zamboni cleans up the pools of blood

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

qkkl posted:

marx never considered that the proletariat would derive pleasure from being slaves to the bourgeois.

I think he derived it all too well

BeanpolePeckerwood has issued a correction as of 10:23 on Jul 15, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Marxalot posted:

People in Africa are now surviving off $2 instead of $0.75 and are now off that stupid loving extreme poverty stat. Capitalism wins!

except that current $2 is worth half as much as the $0.75 was back then

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Spatial posted:

When it all becomes too much and you finally have the gun in your mouth, stop and consider: is it really yourself you should be shooting? Why not shoot a Walton?

Would you like to know more?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

happyhippy posted:

The 90s upto 2000 were really optimistic times for the future.
Everyone thought technology would advance quickly and so help mankind advance and so elevate everyone.

Then the US had to gently caress it up by declaring forever wars, going full racist, and denying reality.

:lol: Actually, I remember the "End of History" 90s more like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tnl-51cSYg&t=9s

The supreme court ruling for the 2000 election was simply confirmation that Dickian alternate universes exist, and that we'd spent 25 years maneuvering ourselves into one. Not much in the political sphere has surprised me since that moment, though I was young and naive and it took years for me to understand the lasting implications of the Clinton legacy, not to mention what that shitheel bastard represented while in office.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

listen to farmer Hoggett

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

educate the masses

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Screaming Idiot posted:

The thing is that billionaires don't think like normal people. You and I see money as a means to an end, to pay bills, buy groceries, and to purchase the things that make life bearable. Billionaires, however, see money as a means to exert power and influence over others, to change the world to fit their worldview. Monetary worth, they argue, is personal worth.

They're sociopaths. Their way of thinking is both inhuman and very human -- they see people as resources to increase their wealth, and thus their own value. They are parasites, accruing the fruits of the labor of "lesser" men and contributing nothing of their own. This is not rhetoric. This is not theory. This is reality. I guarantee that the sixteen-year-old making sandwiches at McDonalds is doing more work in a single shift than Elon Musk does in an entire week.

I say this pretty often but it's actually way less rational than that. Billionaires are engaged in worship to Mammon. They are true believers in the madness of capital, it's their faith. None of it has to make sense in terms of humanism or morality or interpersonal power relations.

Telephones posted:

At work I take big breaks and I always hide in the bathroom for at least 25 minutes a shift.

You're only sticking it to yourself here and reinforcing the paradigm of corporate nullification which indirectly demands that someone spend more energy performing the soul deadening task of pretending to work than they would simply working at something humane, decent, and hands-on.

Work can be fulfilling, but not if a person is unable to find pride in what they're doing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

time for pics plz; no more assisting goon suicide itt

where is that motherfucker motherfucker we need help

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:drat:

:drat:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vargs posted:

Buncha idiot commies itt don't understand that capitalism loving owns because it may soon lead to the complete annihilation of our dumb, gay species

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

lol just lol if you aren't currently training your body to become a perfect physical specimen for the antifa super soldier program

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TheMostFrench posted:

It sounds great but I wonder if the people applauding include themselves in that group of 'hosed people'. It's comedy, I laughed and I agree that there are a lot of self righteous and frustrating activists in the world, but it makes me think of some of the nihilist attitudes in the thread like 'might as well kill myself since there is nothing I can do about [problem]'. Humanity is definitely not the be all and end all of life on earth, but there is no reason that we can't try to make existence decent for as many people as possible while we are here. This is where nihilism becomes a useful tool for oppressors, because if people are unwilling to challenge the unfair status quo then the oppressors get to continue their comfortable lives at the expense of others.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

use technology to organize flashmobs and curbstomp rich fucks as they leave the apple store

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

or just threaten to throw a keyboard at them on twitter and get banned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:blastu: