Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

30.5 Days posted:

you WILL use the slack emojis that the long-gone PM of a long-dead project really loved back in 2009.

i feel seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

there's basically two different "streams" of information coming from the visual cortex: one that follows the top of the brain, and one that follows the bottom of the brain. the one that follows the top of the brain from the visual cortex to the parietal lobe mostly encodes fairly high level spatial information related to what's currently being seen. the one that follows the bottom of the brain from the visual cortex to the temporal lobe mostly encodes information related to perception in the form of shapes, colors, textures, as well as matching those with existing knowledge. both of those pathways then lead to the frontal lobe which deals with higher brain functions

so if you break the upper pathway, then you get things like patient who can tell you what an object is just fine, but they are completely incapable of making even crude drawings of them beyond maybe the simplest shapes like a circle or a triangle. on the other hand, if you damage the lower pathway, then you get things like patients who can copy drawings just fine, but have absolutely no idea what those things represent

another fun thing is if someone has damage to a particular spot on one side of their parietal lobe (which deals with spatial information), you can get a situation where if you ask them to imagine they're standing at a point on a street they're familiar with, and to name all the buildings they can see from there, they'll only be able to name those on one side of the street. then if you ask them to imagine they're standing at some point say 100m in front of their initial position, but looking at their initial position (so 180 degrees from their original orientation), then suddenly they'll be perfectly able to name all of the buildings they couldn't previously name, and unable to name those they could before

hell yes. generally speaking, I think the brain is an overgrown autopilot and neuroscience is just not very useful for understanding behavior, but the where/what pathways were one of the rare insights that rocked my world because of how the clear perceptual structure it imposes pops up everywhere. it really helped me understand Gibson's concept of memory, what I started off studying, as a kind of extended perception, rather than an engram encoded somewhere.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I still have the best (worst) resume I've ever been handedin hospitality, it was laminated and handed to me by a guy i recognised from when he used to wander around nightclubs doing close up magic and reading tarot to people for tips

one of the greatest resumes i've ever seen.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Dr Pepper posted:

It's just a way to invent a rubber stamp for what you wanted to do and claim it was the machine.

statistics and probability theory is about doing a bunch of math showing we don't really know anything and never will. everyone hated that. that's why we invented data science and machine learning, which is about doing a bunch of math showing that we're very smart boys who know what we're doing. everyone loves that.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

hacking into the pantone mainframe to steal the fourth primary color they've kept secret for generations

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That Bicameral Mind theory is stupid as gently caress

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

I like the bicameral mind because it's so weird. I mean it's stupid and wrong but in an interesting way? idk.

1950-1970's psychology was absolutely wild

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wake up at 5 am when I ride my bike so I don't get run over but I shower afterwards and I go back to sleep after

I wouldn't ever want to wake up regularly at 4 am just to work

i get up at five every day. you have the whole timezone to yourself.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

They’re going to turbocharge immiserating the poor to feed them into the grinder and you’ll continue to think of it as individuals choosing what’s best for them. The freedom is entirely illusory.

Capital already feeds the poor into the grinder and frames it as their own fault due to them making bad individual choices to create the illusion of freedom, though.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Azathoth posted:

I feel like we're eventually heading towards beef stew being tea and frankly, if we can get there, I might just become a tea guy.

i don't care for tea but hell, same

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Zvahl posted:

russian uses grammatical case in a ton of its poo poo so anything nominative is going to be a 'different word' from using the same word in a dative/genitive/accusative/whatever

not all grammatical case is gender even when it involves gender and i blame romance languages

german is cancelled

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

My point is "a mouthful of salt and starch and sugar and fat" will light up your reward centers way more than that and it has nothing to do with how refined your pallet is or how good the bread you can buy is and everything to do with your lizard brain being programmed by millions of years of evolution saying "holy poo poo you have found the best energy source of all, wow!!!" Like put your head in a big fancy science machine that measures objectively how much dopamine your stupid rear end is secreting for each one and I guarantee the big mac will cause it to secrete more.

Though I guess you could make the argument that "enjoyment" should encompass more than that, like appreciating a better and more interesting taste, or not feeling vaguely disgusting and a little sick right after you're done eating, which sure I agree with, but then I can't make a pithy post about it, so shut up.

this is a childlike understanding of the brain, taste perception and food preference. mcdonalds has not been engineered to be delicious, but to be addictive. it's supposed to make you feel good while eating it and bad after eating it, much like cigarettes make you feel good while smoking and bad after smoking it. this first-good-then-bad dynamic underpins consumer product addiction. it has to do with dopamine and "lizard brains" in only the most trivial sense.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

A Bakers Cousin posted:

what uhhh do you think is causing this good then bad feeling if not dopamine and "lizard" brain?

it may surprise some goons to learn that some people don't like big macs. it's the "feeling bad" part of the process that trains you to like it, not the "feeling good" part. there isn't anything inherent in a big mac that makes it good. mcdonalds didn't engineer their burgers to "light up your reward centers" but to condition you to buy more burgers by punishing you for finishing the one you ate.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Coolness Averted posted:

Got any links about fast food and cigarettes specifically being designed to have both an up and down? That's not something I've ever heard of. Or are you just kind of summing up addiction and/or the way people imprint on stuff that makes them feel good and seek it out again -especially during lows?

I don't have a paper handy, but the nicotine cycle is prototypical: starts by making susceptible people feel good, then causes stress, which makes them return to the relaxing stimulus. tobacco companies didn't really mess to engineer it because nature did the job for them. the stress is what keeps them coming back. crucially, this still doesn't lead everyone to start smoking cigarettes, because not everyone is susceptible to this cycle for a variety of reasons, much like not everyone likes big macs no matter how much sugar and fat mcdonalds jams in there. addictive consumer products are all either this, or gambling.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lol at goons getting absolutely incensed their fast food addiction isn't an inevitable function of evolution or brains or whatever.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

COPE 27 posted:

Things we try to do:

Make people like our food

Things we try not to do:

Make people dislike our food

have you tried simply making food out of pure sugar and fat to maximize the dopamine delivered to the reward center of the lizard brain?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

new burger idea: a pile of sugar in between two slabs of lard

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

COPE 27 posted:

Nah I don't work at starbucks

sounds like starbucks will be eating your company's lunch when you're working against millions of years of evolution like that

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

Do you not live in the US or something, there's a starbucks on like every other corner of every single town here

do you think maybe the fact that this is particular to america might say something about your evolutionary theory of the big mac?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

evolutionary psychology people are the worst

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i think food preference is conditioned, and not "programmed by millions of years of evolution."

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

That's at least more reasonable than... whatever the hell you were saying before, though I think you're gonna have a hard time showing that any living being more complex than like a slime mold doesn't have at least some innate reward feedback system that says "fat / sugar / salt / carbs good, find more of that"

nobody's saying living beings don't have reward systems you evopsych dumbass

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Since the turn away from industrial labour in the 1970's, there's no real reason, materially, for protests to be listened to. What are you going to do? How could you actually hurt them in a meaningful way? Your protests don't impact stock prices and spreadsheets.

Compare to general strikes and protests crippling industrial economies, and thus leading to a response addressing their demands. In 1968, the French economy was practically shut down. Occupy, critically, did not actually occupy Wall Street in the same way that occupying docks and factories did - by shutting down productivity.

that's right.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the white zone you say

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

there's a church near there, Jesuskirken, that's basically covered in swastikas. always really bizarre to see.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

fanfic insert posted:

is that the case that it's actually something neutral or are those part of the same kind of proto-nazi undercurrent that were happening all over Europe in the interwar period, where while not technically nazi they had all the same opinions and were drawing from the same pool of putrid "european suncross" pool as the nazis were and which are now being used all over europe by barely-crypto-fash people trying to excuse their use of a not-actually-a-swastika-but-almost-exactly-like-a-swastika swastika?

it's denmark so it's pretty safe to assume it's the latter

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

The Nastier Nate posted:

for decades, not having a car just meant you had to lug bags back and forth on the bus and make several trips just to get a weeks worth of food.

as opposed to just buy 20 bags of groceries and putting them in the back of your giant SUV.

at least now, with stuff like instacart that's kind of changing as the carless can get groceries like a normal human being.

lmfao

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

core-periphery ftw

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

Listen it's a tidal wave of human beings being made miserable being paid poverty wages, but on the other hand I personally spend 30 seconds less putting my lunch on a self checkout machine so really isn't it worth it?

the terms are ftw! the terms!!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Paladinus posted:

(I made this 7 years ago, lol)

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

pro tip: just be tall and handsome and part of the ingroup, its super easy to get a job

yep. seems like a skill issue.