Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

shadok posted:

How can they be expected to compete with Croatia, which I assume has a population of 400,000,000?

I just checked to be sure - Croatia's bigger than I thought with 4.2 million people. Which is roughly the size of Greater Birmingham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

South Korea loving defeated Germany 2-0 in open play. England barely beat Colombia and lost to Belgium twice. Future world champions.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
you seem mad m8

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Seltzer posted:

It's honestly incredible how the English campaign is being treated as some great success. They beat two poo poo teams, a middling team without their star player, a below par team, and then lost to the first team that was good and not mentally weak. They probably would've been bounced out of the tournament the first game had they landed anywhere on the other side of the bracket.

How did the USMNT do?

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
honorably boycotted the Russian World Cup

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Don't understand England's first-half game plan. Hugely inflexible formation. Wingbacks weren't pushing up, often attacking while keeping five at the back. Midfield completely overloaded, no supply for the forwards. Overly cautious if you ask me.

Much better in the second half, but it really speaks to the tactical and quality gulf that England were completely bested against a team that were more or less playing the same formation as them.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Lol you idiots watched this poo poo?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

3rd place is usually a better match than the final

also it's the world cup watch every match while you can

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I went to the pool op

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Mean Bean Machine posted:

How did the USMNT do?

You can't get shithoused in the World Cup if you never get there in the first place. Moral high ground :smug:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Gigi Galli posted:

Look at the football mod bragging about not watching football, smh

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

It was the best way to cope with a crushing hangover

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It was a good match, the final will probably be dire

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Phlegmish posted:

It was a good match, the final will probably be dire

What is it about this world cup that is making people forget how bad the games were afterwards?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

sassassin posted:

What is it about this world cup that is making people forget how bad the games were afterwards?

The general atmosphere around it is pretty good so makes you overlook how awful most of the games were.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The group stage was great and there were some real good games on the non poo poo side of the bracket.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

the only real stinkers i can think of were france-denmark and spain-russia

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Switzerland-Sweden was the worst game I watched.

Most of the games I saw had some redeeming quality even if not great, but that one was all bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Modric herding these goats like a boss

• Locked thread