Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont think going to space will fix any of our problems directly but i think it should be done regardless. theres a lot of science to be done in microgravity. also there's a lot of metal out there in the asteroid belt. but i think an energy revolution occuring all of a sudden is more likely than space becoming useful as anything other than a place for weather sats, spy sats, and weapons in the next century

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moridin920 posted:

Applied research and basic research are two different things. You can't just dump money into applied research without ever funding basic research (ie space poo poo too) and expect good results. The last push to the moon resulted in poo poo TONS of tech that is useful every single day and saves lives even though yeah "who benefits directly from us going to the moon???"

My take is that this is all the dumbest poo poo possible even though I'm sure it is exactly what moron rear end politicians are thinking.

It's also in violation of international treaties but the USA doesn't give a poo poo about those ofc heh

I just think it's really annoying when nerds are like 'launch rockets, ?????, CLIMATE CHANGE SOLVED'.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bates posted:

Research spending in any field will create spinoffs. Like defense spending resulted in the internet, GPS and duct tape. The space program itself started with the desire to bomb stuff. That's not an argument to increase defense spending.

internet was DARPA, and wasn't GPS too? DARPA is a (very imperialist) argument for only funding government agencies

• Locked thread