Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Spiritus Nox posted:

The show certainly keeps playing with our perception of various characters. Soya and pals have gone from being shady, borderline-villanous protagonists to pretty straightforwardly heroic characters, while the Paladins have become much more nuanced and, at least as far as the boss is concerned, sinister. Curious to see how many face-heel turns and vice versa we get before the show's finished.

The more I see of this show the more I find myself rooting for the Paladins, even the sinister boss, but I suspect he's going to be made more straightforwardly villainous before it's over.

Their outlook seems to be that mankind's craving for more and attachment to their desires is actually a good thing, and the last time I saw an anime treat that outlook as proper rather than harmful was... probably Evangelion. :v:

I would be very happy to be mistaken, of course.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't think anyone will end up straightforwardly villainous.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This show rules.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
"Something enduring something justice something something." Soya is the best.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

drat half way through the series and every one of the enemies team realizes their leader is a huge idiot and they rather just chill, big bad turns to dust and the only other adversarial faction left is willing to sacrifice themselves to protect civilians and could have already taken over all the planet except japan by now . I mean they are the only guys left but how is this going to work out

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I wasn't expecting the actual final battle to be in episode SIX. In any normal series, this would be the finale of season three.

Dragon's remark about the invaders wanting to preserve a colony is a little ominous. Is Earth a colony, or is it about to be colonized?

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
https://twitter.com/nekogaeru/status/1028642490495062016

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cao Ni Ma posted:

drat half way through the series and every one of the enemies team realizes their leader is a huge idiot and they rather just chill, big bad turns to dust and the only other adversarial faction left is willing to sacrifice themselves to protect civilians and could have already taken over all the planet except japan by now . I mean they are the only guys left but how is this going to work out

Soya's Meat Quest can now finally start.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Soya's Meat Quest can now finally start.

it will onnly end in failure :negative:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was cool! Genuinely curious where it goes now, of course.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Poor meat dad. :(

Edit: It's interesting Generalissimo can speak human language, but refuses to. I wonder if it's just arrogance or if there's a deeper reason.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 12, 2018

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Ginko was so good in this episode.

Honestly no idea what's going to happen from here on out, but I love the pacing this series has.
I wonder what the consequences of Soya down right offing a dude will be

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
So like... the dude was made of dragon power dust? He just sliced a bit of his pinky for all the lil ampules?

Also it's good that Souya is too angry to come up with one-liners

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Maybe it's just that if you die as a dragon, you die for real.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I'm guessing Takashi was somehow made to be an emissary of the dragon, who might still be stuck in that other dimension, and that's why he was made of dragon bits. I don't know what that implies for the future though. I think we can presume Grand Paladin will get their powers back somehow, at least.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I thought Takashi just used up all his psychic energy and burnt himself out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

All I know is, the sealing faction is lucky they're trying their "prevent violent evolution" bullshit on this world, instead of someplace with a Getter team.

Really, even the dragon seems mild once you start looking at that scale.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
You folks been paying attention to the cast’s reflections in Soya’s visor in the ED? I think it’s significant that Takashi is the only one who doesn’t have one.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

chiasaur11 posted:

All I know is, the sealing faction is lucky they're trying their "prevent violent evolution" bullshit on this world, instead of someplace with a Getter team.

Really, even the dragon seems mild once you start looking at that scale.

ryo would've met his mom in an illusion and he'd have torn her in half in an instant, no regrets

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
doesn't even need to get any of the heavy getter ray poo poo involved. the getter boys just love violence too much.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The Sealing Faction's soul numbing doesn't work by offering peaceful things as far as I understand it, it works by offering your greatest desires. If they love violence, then the seals would just incorporate that and offer them an endless battlefield where they can kill as much as they like as long as they like. I can see original manga Hayato falling in to that trap at least since he was just a ball of energy looking for a direction and a dream of unlimited choices and violence could potentially draw him in to following them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

The Sealing Faction's soul numbing doesn't work by offering peaceful things as far as I understand it, it works by offering your greatest desires. If they love violence, then the seals would just incorporate that and offer them an endless battlefield where they can kill as much as they like as long as they like. I can see original manga Hayato falling in to that trap at least since he was just a ball of energy looking for a direction and a dream of unlimited choices and violence could potentially draw him in to following them.

The problem is, the sealing works by filling a need. Whatever emptiness drives you is answered, you're fulfilled, the end.

Trying to sate a Getter pilot's desire for violence with more violence is roughly equivalent to dousing a fire with gasoline.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

My sense is that the way to escape the sealing dream is to have an obligation to something or someone outside of the dream. It's a superego sort of thing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

All of these users are psychic to some degree, we don't know if the normal population would even be physically capable of fending off this sort of attack on just raw willpower.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

All of these users are psychic to some degree, we don't know if the normal population would even be physically capable of fending off this sort of attack on just raw willpower.

I get the impression that cause and effect is switched around there - becoming a Paladin unlocks a human’s inherent psychic ability/allows the dragon to channel its power through you. I’m not sure they’re any more resistant to it than ordinary people (after all, Nezuya got chumped), they just have the weapons to destroy Sealing Faction constructs after shaking off the dream.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Good, good. Now let the rest of the human team join the pacifist faction. :hai:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
A lot of stuff answered with more questions raised.
I simply adore this show.

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 19, 2018

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Humanity developing a powerful new tool and going on a genocidal war of conquest? Pfft, point to me to ONE TIME in history where that happened. ...oh, every time? Okay, I'm rooting for the Sealing Faction now.

I think it's interesting to see that Sirius wasn't exactly an innocent power. I had assumed the Dragon was the protagonist's brother, i.e: a fellow Siriusian consumed with self-hatred, but it seems like they were an outside force.

I also appreciated how the hypnosis power was immediately nullified. No drawn out memory-wiping subplot, just straight to the endgame like always.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's a good thing that the lightning fast pace of this show means soya won't have any time for an extended sulk

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm liking this direction, yeah.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Welp with the assistant boldly proclaiming that there are only two factions left and the introduction of paradise dude we can all agree that there aren't really 2 factions left. The dragons flashbacks, the mystery of how the dragons dust got to him, they are all probably linked to that dude.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Welp with the assistant boldly proclaiming that there are only two factions left and the introduction of paradise dude we can all agree that there aren't really 2 factions left. The dragons flashbacks, the mystery of how the dragons dust got to him, they are all probably linked to that dude.

I’m thinking there’s a non-zero chance Soya is the dragon’s new host.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

Neat.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I would also include the nebula weapons. They were sent by the sealing faction, but there's no way paradise isn't involved with them.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

god drat it

every loving week this show

leaves me wanting more and more

it's a great show, but i need all of the rest of it out next week or i might go crazy

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The set up right now reminds me a lot of Iain Banks' Culture books. Nebula being basically the Culture. Sensei and Generalissimo seem like factions or Minds within Contact or Special Circumstances with these lesser civilisations being pawns within their wider game, against whom their higher technology make them close to gods. Meanwhile the People of Paradise seem like the Sublimed.

The Dragon is basically the 'psychopathically righteous' GCU Meatfucker.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
im god drat furious they should have gone with teacher shiraishi

anyways this show is so great considering how tightly written all the themes are

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Phobophilia posted:

im god drat furious they should have gone with teacher shiraishi

A student can go places a teacher can't without suspicion and a fellow student is more likely to trust them implicitly, which might be important. Sure, she can hypnotize (almost) anyone, but if she doesn't see a person and they report a teacher going somewhere they shouldn't be or doing something with a student it would be a hassle to sort out.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's clear at this point that Shiraishi is a huge dork, so if she says she is gonna be a high school student then she gets to be a high school student.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tsob posted:

A student can go places a teacher can't without suspicion and a fellow student is more likely to trust them implicitly, which might be important. Sure, she can hypnotize (almost) anyone, but if she doesn't see a person and they report a teacher going somewhere they shouldn't be or doing something with a student it would be a hassle to sort out.

she just wanted to dress up as a high school girl tbh