Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I suspect it's kinda part of the Sealing Faction's self imposed 'we will have an even playing field' rule, that Shiraishi must lower herself to Soya's level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

I suspect it's kinda part of the Sealing Faction's self imposed 'we will have an even playing field' rule, that Shiraishi must lower herself to Soya's level.

Naah, she just didn’t want to admit that she looks old enough to convincingly impersonate a teenager.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I agree that it’s probably just a joke about her assuming that her apparent age is student rather than teacher. Whether that’s going to reflect on the rest of her philosophy in any way remains to be seen. IE: she doesn’t think like an adult, etc. This came up with Takashi too, with Benika’s first reaction to hearing his plans for world domination being “are you a child?!”

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Condiv posted:

god drat it

every loving week this show

leaves me wanting more and more

it's a great show, but i need all of the rest of it out next week or i might go crazy

Imagine what it was like reading spirit circle once a month haha

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

When the future lifetime is happening and you get to the last page of the chapter

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Clarste posted:

I agree that it’s probably just a joke about her assuming that her apparent age is student rather than teacher. Whether that’s going to reflect on the rest of her philosophy in any way remains to be seen. IE: she doesn’t think like an adult, etc. This came up with Takashi too, with Benika’s first reaction to hearing his plans for world domination being “are you a child?!”

I mean, you did see her magical girl transformation when she threw down with Takashi, didn’t you? Also, check out her reflection in the ED.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 21, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm worried about Torai.... that chest clutching can't be good...

Also Nozomi Tamagarahara is good.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 26, 2018

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Stop acting Childish!
I AM A CHILD!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Mulderman posted:

Stop acting Childish!
I AM A CHILD!

Says the grown woman disguised as a highschooler, too. Rampant hypocrisy sure does seem like a Sealing Faction hallmark.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Fangz posted:

Also Nozomi Tamagarahara is good.

Ta-ka-ma-ga-ha-ra!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ginko in the Shell c1995

Maybe this wasn't a joke after all:
https://twitter.com/nekogaeru/status/1030822902579384320

quote:

We concluded the story with episode six, so starting from the next episode we will be broadcasting Mahō Shōjo Magical☆Giga Cat Hammer Nozo-san. Please enjoy!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm wondering what determines whether you can understand Sensei/Generalissimo's people. Maybe it's some measure of power, so glasses guy is maybe a lot more powerful than he seems? Shiraishi was able to stand toe-to-toe vs Takashi on her own (without Cat Doping), and while Ginko didn't seem to *do anything*, she was involved in the battle.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Episode 8: Don't get in the drat robot Shinji.

Fangz posted:

I'm wondering what determines whether you can understand Sensei/Generalissimo's people. Maybe it's some measure of power, so glasses guy is maybe a lot more powerful than he seems? Shiraishi was able to stand toe-to-toe vs Takashi on her own (without Cat Doping), and while Ginko didn't seem to *do anything*, she was involved in the battle.

My guess is it's tied to empathy, and specifically having psychic powers that are expressions of being able to understand people like telepathy. (I mean, we know that Ginko can read minds and is really good at it, what with the whole sequence of her being able to hear the thoughts of everyone on Sirius.)

Benika's more of a brute force sort of psychic, so she can't get an entire monologue out of a single woof.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Episode 8: Don't get in the drat robot Shinji.

My guess is it's tied to empathy, and specifically having psychic powers that are expressions of being able to understand people like telepathy. (I mean, we know that Ginko can read minds and is really good at it, what with the whole sequence of her being able to hear the thoughts of everyone on Sirius.)

Benika's more of a brute force sort of psychic, so she can't get an entire monologue out of a single woof.

What is significant was that Takashi was able to hear Generalissimo directly during their fight, and Generalissimo expected that to be the case.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fangz posted:

We know that there are different expressions of psychic powers so Ginko (and her race) are very good telepaths, but their telekinesis and more combat oriented psychic powers are probably poorly developed. Hitsujitani may also be in that bunch where he's good enough at telepathy to actually understand Kigurumians whereas people like Soya and Takatori can't.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is the most "most of the sides involved are sympathetic or likable in some fashion" the show has been up to this point and is completely in Mizukami's wheelhouse. He does a great job of providing a situation where you genuinely want a solution to be figured out that can satisfy everyone.

Soya's outburst was also really heartfelt and I'm glad the answer to "when will Soya stop sulking so he can get in the robot" the answer is "motherfucker when he's ready, OK?"

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It helps that Torai is super cool.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Plus, Soya is an alien so it makes sense that at least some humans should be involved in not just protecting the planet but deciding it's future and whether it's an evolution of love, an evolution of power or to be sealed. Torai taking up Soya's place while he mulls over what he wants or just steps back full stop is putting him in a place where he can be a representative of humanity in the pacifist faction to counteract the humans now working as part of the Sealing Faction.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm just glad torai gets to do stuff again because he seems like a cool guy

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Man, I think I actually really like this show.

I just love the way Mizukami's characters act. Torai's response to Soya not wanting to defend the town was absolutely in line with what you'd expect from his character, but not what you'd expect from a side character in a mech(?) show. Ta-ka-ma-ga-ha-ra was absolutely wholesome and good, and it totally caught me off guard. I do kind of wonder what's up with Shiraishi's mind-control not working on Takamagahara was about, they made a point to showcase it twice between this episode and the last.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Shere posted:

I do kind of wonder what's up with Shiraishi's mind-control not working on Takamagahara was about, they made a point to showcase it twice between this episode and the last.

I assumed it was the glasses tbh.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The assumption is the glasses, but there's obviously way more to her, probably than we assume. Practically all of the character names are relevant to them in some way. All of the psychic humans have animals in their surnames which also relate to what their armor's resemble. With Nebula, the Pacifist faction goes by "Kuroi" which uses the kanji for black and the Sealing faction goes by the name of Shiraishi which uses the kanji for "White." Nozomi is interesting because her surname is literally the same as a place in Japanese mythology called Takama-ga-hara which is where the heavenly gods are said to reside so it's definitely possible that there's something going on with her that's yet to be revealed.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The speculation I've seen is that she has something to do with the dragon Soya wants to kill since the only other person who Shiraishi couldn't hypnotize was the president (Ryujozi Takashi), and he was a reincarnation of the dragon's power. Which would mean Soya fighting Takamagahara at some point, possibly in a G Gundam style "fighting to free her" way. Which is a good way to set up a declaration of love as well as show them going for the evolution of love instead of the evolution of power.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
well that was a quick resolution to the shiraishi age thing

it occurred to me that she has a similar character to yayoi in biscuit hammer (the snake knight)

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I heard good things about this show on a podcast so I decided to watch the first episode today. And then a couple more.

Why can't this series already be finished

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I can't believe season 2 of planet with ended already

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm glad the Sealing Faction leadership is made up of dorks.

Generalissmo is probably so amped up now.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
This is tangential ("Karellen" and "Rashaverak" are names of characters in this book), but does anyone know when Childhood's End was translated into Japanese? This thing doesn't even mention a translation

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm glad the Sealing Faction leadership is made up of dorks.

Generalissmo is probably so amped up now.

It's not like he's happy Sensei is alright or anything. Baka.

Preview: Those are both names from Arthur C Clarke's Childhood's End which is both awesome and possibly alarming about what comes next.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 2, 2018

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Syritta posted:

This is tangential ("Karellen" and "Rashaverak" are names of characters in this book), but does anyone know when Childhood's End was translated into Japanese? This thing doesn't even mention a translation

Japanese Wikipedia says 1964, with retranslations in 1969 and 2007.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Syritta posted:

First published in Japan in 1964.

^^^
e;fb

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
I see, thanks. It's one of those classic sci-fi things that I've seen more in anime than anywhere, kinda weirds me out. Same with Cordwainer Smith.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
From Mecha Anime to Kaiju Anime, huh.

How convenient, considering the size of Soya's likely final opponent at the end.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The end image is 100% Super Robot and so hype

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I heard you like cats so

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Belated note, but I'm just really glad to be watching a good show with Norio Wakamoto's voice again.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Soya is a good boy y'all.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

Belated note, but I'm just really glad to be watching a good show with Norio Wakamoto's voice again.

I have to say, Norio Wakamoto being used principally to make dog noises is the height of decadence.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

The_White_Crane posted:

I have to say, Norio Wakamoto being used principally to make dog noises is the height of decadence.

The temptation to go all-in must have been so strong, I don't think I'd have had the will to resist sealing his voice to nothing but barks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
One thousand unique takes of "Wan!"