Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

One thousand unique takes of "Wan!"

https://twitter.com/Gooberzilla/status/1036611483420028929

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
[img]https://i.imgur.com/TMOVaZ9.jpg[[/img]

Relin fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 5, 2018

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Nice episode.

It's overthinking an imaginary plot device but unless being stuck in a dream sustains your body, getting sealed is basically a death sentence for everyone living in crippling poverty.

Also wonder how many people died right away when they suddenly went all limp and fell off/traffic accident/airplane crash/yada yada.

:shobon:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Either the entire population dies of hunger or a perfect milktoast society of drones is created where the self doesn't exist anymore.

Also the sealing thing is played out when convenient, we've seen what happens when people get sealed in the middle of an action like flying a fighter plane, they just turn away and go home. None of the long time in a dream, it happens almost instantly.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
It kind of looked like everything completely stopped moving. Kind of a stronger deal than the regular attack.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Maybe those with psychic powers (yes, I am including Nozomi) have some resistance so they do the 'collapse unconscious, then wake up sealed' thing, whereas normal people are fried instantly? That seems consistent with what we saw before.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Fangz posted:

Maybe those with psychic powers (yes, I am including Nozomi) have some resistance so they do the 'collapse unconscious, then wake up sealed' thing, whereas normal people are fried instantly? That seems consistent with what we saw before.

Every normal human approaching the devices just went home.

It didn't stop time, as you can see a baseball field with the ball rolling away from the pitcher.

They were experiencing the pacifying illusion we've seen before, so after a while they would probably wake up lobotomized.
It just happened on much higher power.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/frog_kun/status/1038222560742109184

Hooray interview! Nothing too in-depth, (and no upcoming spoilers) but i'll take it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I figured the guy that looks like soya's brother stopped time or something

that or it was just different for dramatic effect

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I laughed every single time they cut to a shot with Nezuya in it.

Also, ho ly poo poo. TIME SKIP

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

So yeah, Planet With continues its trend of cramming entire seasons worth of content into a couple of episodes. Frankly I am in awe of how well-paced this show is.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
In general I've liked the show's pacing, but at the same time I do wish the show had been twice the episode order because I feel some parts require me to be more attached to the cast or invested in them than I am in reality. Benika and Yoshino's switch to working with the sealing faction for instance would mean more if I had had some reason to care about them prior to that decision. More than that, Ginko saying that Nezuya was Soya's friend so she's glad he's okay feels kind of off because we got so little of Nezuya interacting with Soya before he was sealed. I can certainly see that that was the intention, and there's enough there to get the point but but what we got felt like a cliffnotes version where it was just hitting the highlights and running through them as fast as possible to get to the end.

That said, I loved the end of this fight. Sensei and Generalissimo both being reluctant to use the doping can because of the hangover while Soya and Shiraishi are just telling them to do it and eager is great. As was both of their regular mech forms plopping out from the giant ship version's crest to go inside Generalissimo's body. It was a fun way to finish the fight. As was Sensei's mech form disappearing so that Soya and Sensei could attack on foot in a coordinated manner. Looking foward to seeing the cast next episode, whether the old man shows up or not and how they've all grown.

Edit: I've just noticed this is only episode 10, where I assumed it was 12 or something so it's probably going to finish on 11? Really even just one or two more episodes to make it 12 or 13 and expand on a few relationships or characters a small bit would have helped in my opinion. I'm a fan of slower paced shows though, so that could just be me.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 9, 2018

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Holy poo poo this episode!

Let's settle this 1 week from now! (instant cut to 1 week later)
Sensei and Generalissimo really REALLY not wanting to dope up was hilarious!
Gramps coming in, deciding the fight!
Robots turning into giant robots, turning into normal robots, going inside the giant robots!
Sensei using Soya's clog to end the fight!
Shiraishi waving her arms through Soya's brother!
TIME SKIP!?

This series is fan freaking tastic.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Pilot Shiraishi was great. Also for some reason she had a tail.

I'll never get tired of the "smaller robots successively jump out of the larger robots as they get damaged" giant robot battle finale.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

tsob posted:

Edit: I've just noticed this is only episode 10, where I assumed it was 12 or something so it's probably going to finish on 11? Really even just one or two more episodes to make it 12 or 13 and expand on a few relationships or characters a small bit would have helped in my opinion. I'm a fan of slower paced shows though, so that could just be me.

I think it's a 12 episode series.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love how useful Soya's clog has been.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I loved how Shiraishi told them they had a week, and then the very next scene opened with ONE WEEK LATER. Mizukami don’t gently caress around.

Kind of surprised that volcano didn’t go off, though. I mean, what else are volcanos there for in super robot shows?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I loved how Shiraishi told them they had a week, and then the very next scene opened with ONE WEEK LATER. Mizukami don’t gently caress around.

Kind of surprised that volcano didn’t go off, though. I mean, what else are volcanos there for in super robot shows?

Killing Kouji Kabuto with lava?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Killing Kouji Kabuto with lava?

And yet, no lava.

C’mon, people.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

tsob posted:

In general I've liked the show's pacing, but at the same time I do wish the show had been twice the episode order because I feel some parts require me to be more attached to the cast or invested in them than I am in reality. Benika and Yoshino's switch to working with the sealing faction for instance would mean more if I had had some reason to care about them prior to that decision. More than that, Ginko saying that Nezuya was Soya's friend so she's glad he's okay feels kind of off because we got so little of Nezuya interacting with Soya before he was sealed. I can certainly see that that was the intention, and there's enough there to get the point but but what we got felt like a cliffnotes version where it was just hitting the highlights and running through them as fast as possible to get to the end.

That said, I loved the end of this fight. Sensei and Generalissimo both being reluctant to use the doping can because of the hangover while Soya and Shiraishi are just telling them to do it and eager is great. As was both of their regular mech forms plopping out from the giant ship version's crest to go inside Generalissimo's body. It was a fun way to finish the fight. As was Sensei's mech form disappearing so that Soya and Sensei could attack on foot in a coordinated manner. Looking foward to seeing the cast next episode, whether the old man shows up or not and how they've all grown.

This show has felt like one of Mizukami's oneshot stories, but given a bit more time to breath/develop. Like maybe in his oneshot or short series variant he axes a few of the psychics who haven't gotten a ton of screentime but otherwise it feels like something we are supposed to jump into for a spell and then you blink and it's over. If it had a higher episode count I imagine it could definitely do more with it but I do think Mizukami of all people can make it work more than most.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Man, Mizukami sure loves to play the time skip card in his series.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Wakamoto Drill Breaker :supaburn:

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
Was there an explanation for how ta-ka-ma-ga-ha-ra-san has a hologram projector keyed to an unpublicized fight that i'm forgetting

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Syritta posted:

Was there an explanation for how ta-ka-ma-ga-ha-ra-san has a hologram projector keyed to an unpublicized fight that i'm forgetting

No explanation, probably got it from Ginko and Sensei since she knows them.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Overlord K posted:

Man, Mizukami sure loves to play the time skip card in his series.

He loves him some epilogues.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This episode was four fuckin minutes long what the hell

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Sindai posted:

I hope the judo girls become Soya's friends.
I take it back, this is much better.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

OK, if this series manages to stick the landing, which I'm pretty sure it will. I'm calling it one of the best shows I've ever watched.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Can i just say how much i adore when shows update their credits when things change?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

:unsmith: :kimchi: :cry:

This show is real good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Featuring cameos by Tago from Sengouku Youko

and Mizuakmi('s frog avatar) himself

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Seems concerning that Purple Tentacle is part of Nebula

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

He doesn't have arms. We'll be fine. (for now)

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

a kitten posted:

and Mizuakmi('s frog avatar) himself

And he's standing between the Spirit Circle aliens, too.
Also spotted the sparrows from the Nihonmatsu Siblings in another scene and I'm pretty sure a bunch of others are from his one-shots.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sindai posted:

I take it back, this is much better.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can't believe they brought back the clog.

Definitely a contender for Anime of the Year for me.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Good job, everyone.

https://twitter.com/nekogaeru/status/1043862010394337280?s=19

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Best Norio Wakamoto scream I've heard in a while.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

That was quite nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Ginko and Soya's relationship is the highlight of the show imo. So sweet. :3: