Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I was so happy to see his Samidare and Anima figures. His fascination for tilting them is another call-back as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I read somewhere that he's been storyboarding this on and off for the last 4 years.

I'm pretty confident it's going to be something special but the premise and execution are wacky enough that they basically need to prove themselves before I can totally buy in. I've been Basquash'd before.

Also CG mechs always put me off a bit but at least so far they've been decent.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 23, 2018

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Yeah, I misread. He's had the project in mind for a few years but only got on the 'storyboarding' in the past year.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Boy the audio design in this show is really bass heavy. When I watch it with a proper sub woofer it's almost a bit overbearing.

That said, I'm really digging how peak anime this whole thing is, it's absolutely surreal and ridiculous but the fact that the characters behave somewhat normally makes it all endearing.

I'm not too fond of the director having the trite "subjugate humanity in the name of peace" motivation but the flip side of that is finally having a character immediately go "hey, you know what? no." upon hearing it was refreshing.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Man, I think I actually really like this show.

I just love the way Mizukami's characters act. Torai's response to Soya not wanting to defend the town was absolutely in line with what you'd expect from his character, but not what you'd expect from a side character in a mech(?) show. Ta-ka-ma-ga-ha-ra was absolutely wholesome and good, and it totally caught me off guard. I do kind of wonder what's up with Shiraishi's mind-control not working on Takamagahara was about, they made a point to showcase it twice between this episode and the last.