Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Thats why njpw had jrs ribs broken or whatever happened, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i assume the PPV went downhill after Ball Assault Match b/c i just played TESO after that

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
How'd Lashley win?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

As a noted Callis hater he has gotten better. The announce team for the G1 so far is Callis, Kevin Kelly, and Rocky Romero and they've gotten me to swap off of the Japanese announce team. Majority of the G1 is going to be just Kevin and Rocky and should be some good announcing.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Strawberry Panda posted:

How'd Lashley win?

Spear, clean

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

In terms of New Japan's English commentators, JR has been a really really really bad one. When the bar's raised even a bit it stands out, Callis is probably the best/most standout one on the desk overall aside from Kevin Kelly

JR's been abysmal since leaving the Raw desk fulltime imo, it's just become more apparent with lack of effort showing these last few years. If his heart's not in it anymore and if he doesn't need the money I don't know why he still does it :shrug:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Strawberry Panda posted:

How'd Lashley win?

Speared Roman as he was running in for a Superman Punch, pinned clean

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MotU posted:

i assume the PPV went downhill after Ball Assault Match b/c i just played TESO after that

Pretty much but Roman lost clean and Ronda was Real Cool. Also Dolph and Seth tried their best to have a drat good match but were hosed by a (rightfully) ornery crowd and all time bad agenting.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Also did I seriously see an NJPW fan ITT go to bat for Don Callis?

Because these things should have limits. Come on guys. Smdh. I know the wrestling product for NJPW is pretty beyond reproach but Don Callis is pretty loving bad and also looks like Less Fat Adult Butthead.

He gets stuff over while still being an amusing heel, he's a giant Kenny Omega mark and he once ate a codebreaker from Jericho. It's genuinely very entertaining.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

a one match card is a one match card, and buddy, the DK rap is the only match there

There's also Chunky Kong. He can pick up a boulder with relative ease.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Holy poo poo I completely forgot that there was a PPV tonight

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Speared Roman as he was running in for a Superman Punch, pinned clean

That sounds awesome. Was it bad?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I am not the least but surprised Foochs doesn't like Don Callis.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Strawberry Panda posted:

It was a standard WWE main event type match. Roman was working heel, they big boy brawled, then Lashley won.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Shoenin posted:

WWE has been Russo WCW for like 2-3 years now.

thats an insult to russo booking. as trash as he was he was at least doing things that were so stupid we talk about them 20 years later. this is just fuckin BORING

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Strawberry Panda posted:

Nah it was decent

Lashley-Reigns and Styles-Russev were the only decent matches

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Pretty much but Roman lost clean and Ronda was Real Cool. Also Dolph and Seth tried their best to have a drat good match but were hosed by a (rightfully) ornery crowd and all time bad agenting.

That ending was insulting and I don't understand the point. Dolph was going to get the pin so you know Seth was going to lose. We're told a tie favors the champ, so Seth loses. Then they just change the rules and Seth still loses. We got to watch the most over babyface lose three times in a row while WWE tells us that their internal logic and consistency doesn't matter.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Le Saboteur posted:

I am not the least but surprised Foochs doesn't like Don Callis.

I've only heard him in bits and pieces from the occasional Impact stuff I catch on YouTube. Maybe he's worse there. Maybe it's a byproduct of being next to Josh Mathews. All I know is what I've heard from him is uh... not great.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Gumball Gumption posted:

That ending was insulting and I don't understand the point. Dolph was going to get the pin so you know Seth was going to lose. We're told a tie favors the champ, so Seth loses. Then they just change the rules and Seth still loses. We got to watch the most over babyface lose three times in a row while WWE tells us that their internal logic and consistency doesn't matter.

It was punishment for the counting.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I like his New Japan stuff

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He is 100% worse in impact with no one to balance him out.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Nah it was decent

Lashley-Reigns and Styles-Russev were the only decent matches

Cool. May check those out while waiting for Tana vs. White later.

Team Hell No was bad? Did Kane turn?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Strawberry Panda posted:

They got ambushed backstage and then Kane came out in a cast and lost.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I've only heard him in bits and pieces from the occasional Impact stuff I catch on YouTube. Maybe he's worse there. Maybe it's a byproduct of being next to Josh Mathews. All I know is what I've heard from him is uh... not great.

He's skeezy for sure. I hated him at first but he's grown on me.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Strawberry Panda posted:

Bludgies did a beatdown backstage, Kane had a worked broken ankle, he was there for like 20 seconds, Bryan vailiantly lost 2v1

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

They got ambushed backstage and then Kane came out in a cast and lost.

Wtf is this poo poo!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Le Saboteur posted:

If you've been getting any enjoyment from WWE in the last 3-4 months you must be a very patient person.
I have low standards and also didn't watch it because by the time I was going to everyone was making GBS threads on it which just demotivates me from watching (reason I stopped watching Raw) so pretty soon I'll probably just watch local indie shows live and shows that come to Stage AE. I'm just slowly being burned out of watching any wrestling so I guess you guys are winning.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Strawberry Panda posted:

Wtf is this poo poo!

also to be clear, even though Kane's leg had been smashed with hammers and he was wrestling in a boot cast, Bryan still took the clean pin

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Everyone's worse in TNA because there's no incentive to care. Been that way for a while

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

CarlCX posted:

also to be clear, even though Kane's leg had been smashed with hammers and he was wrestling in a boot cast, Bryan still took the clean pin

Of course he did. Sewing the seeds for another weak link storyline.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Strawberry Panda posted:

Of course he did. Sewing the seeds for another weak link storyline.

That's honestly really not as bad as it sounds. Bryan went toe to toe with them 2 v. 1 for like 10 minutes. I fully anticipate THN winning at SummerSlam.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I think my favorite match of the night was that Tables Match on the pre-show

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That's honestly really not as bad as it sounds. Bryan went toe to toe with them 2 v. 1 for like 10 minutes. I fully anticipate THN winning at SummerSlam.

For sure. I just think it sucks that you advertise a match and then change it to be some bullshit at the last minute. Like the thing with Jeff Hardy. Just do the ball shot on TV and have an actual match at the PPV.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Chris James 2 posted:

Everyone's worse in TNA because there's no incentive to care. Been that way for a while

people keep telling me tna is "good" now and that i should "watch" it, but its still loving tna

like why did anyone invest any energy in reviving it just burn it all down and start something new

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Strawberry Panda posted:

For sure. I just think it sucks that you advertise a match and then change it to be some bullshit at the last minute. Like the thing with Jeff Hardy. Just do the ball shot on TV and have an actual match at the PPV.

Ohh that. Yeah absolutely. As soon as they did the backstage angle I literally muttered "Oh gently caress off" at my TV.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

nxt has been good this year, and the weekly tv has been very strong since about may. its existence is proof that wwe can book good week to week products, they just choose not to on the main roster.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

STONE COLD 64 posted:

nxt has been good this year, and the weekly tv has been very strong since about may. its existence is proof that wwe can book good week to week products, they just choose not to on the main roster.

HHH can*

(Or gives other people the agency to and signs off on it without loving with it)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Quality over quantity. NXT puts on less matches and the wrestlers can rest up for tapings. Producing 5+ hours of tv a week literally causes WWE to run out of quality ideas.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Quality over quantity. NXT puts on less matches and the wrestlers can rest up for tapings. Producing 5+ hours of tv a week literally causes WWE to run out of quality ideas.

Wwe also doesn't produce it's show like a sports show. So there are never really any stakes and nothing matters win or lose. So no one ever cares about anything.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They wouldn't even need to produce it like a sports show for stakes to matter. They just have a complete lack of internal consistency. You can see it in poo poo like the sudden death in the iron man match. They're actively telling you that the rules don't matter and don't have an effect on the outcome. The time Braun was literally murdered in a trash compactor and then a match continued is another good example. They don't know how to set expectations on what the reality of the show is. It's impossible to know what matters and doesn't matter when the show is constantly changing what it thinks matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I just wish they would produce it like a sports product because at the end of the day wrestling is simulated sports. It would also help the show feel coherent.

• Locked thread