Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

idk, all of that seems easy compared to just loving up a new phone in miraculously stupid ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The SE is still their big phone for the developing world and I suspect they'll do a refresh when those sales start slipping but not before

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The SE is still their big phone for the developing world and I suspect they'll do a refresh when those sales start slipping but not before

they built a 6s factory in india [where they're not selling that well because in india mobile internet basically = whatsapp + youtube so nobody needs an iphone]

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

they built a 6s factory in india [where they're not selling that well because in india mobile internet basically = whatsapp + youtube so nobody needs an iphone]

they assumed India was going to be the next big middle class explosion like China was but that just didn’t happen.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So is the SE still the least bad reasonably-priced phone?

I have a nexus 5 built out of parts salvaged from 3 different broken nexus 5s

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

least bad phone period

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Achmed posted:

goongrats on your c3po phone

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I now own my very first apple product and it's a iPhone SE.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Crazy Achmed posted:

it’s the least bad phone at literally any price, op

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Rad, I guess I know what I'll buy when this one finally dies. The microphone, speaker and gps started failing intermittently the other day, but I think i solved that by tightening the internal screws near a connector

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

every day I dream of an iphone SE. I think of finally getting to retire my sturdy old 5S with a new SE2, after having waited this long to eke out the last bit of usage I could get. just tell us it's dead tim. tell us the SE is dead and I can just buy one now at a cut rate price and ride it into the sunset

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
timb is an idiot so of course hes gonna kill the se

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I believe in my gay granddad

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

bourbon brand names getting very modern

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

if timb discontinues the SE im gonna buy like three of em and ride till i die

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Just release teh iPhone se with a11 Tim do it !!!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I can't imagine this op

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The Management posted:

okay, here’s the deal. Apple has the bandwidth to bring up approximately one and a half phones per year. by half I mean a second or even third phone that shares most of the components with the first one (such as iPhone X and iPhone 8), or is highly derivative of a previous product so it requires very little work for most of the company (iPhone 5C or iPhone SE).

let’s say they wanted to make an SE2, based on the iPhone 8 internals. they would need to add a codec for headphone jack audio. a new power management chip since the SE wouldn’t have wireless charging. different amps for the speaker since there’s no dual speakers. support for the old style physical home button since the SE body doesn’t have room for the haptic device.

all these things take time and effort, and take time away from doing other projects. It could happen, but seems unlikely to me.

just remove whatever chip the current se has and put an a10 in there instead hth

hmm im getting a call. hello? hi mr cook. sorry im not interested in being your svp of engineering i feel like the hours are not compatible with my posting career

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

also my understanding is that glass back SE2 with wireless charging was considered a likely outcome (which is a shame cos id rather have all aluminum construction tbqh)

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

i also find it a bit slippery

same!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

would aluminum block or absorb the magnetic field from the charger?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

a changing magnetic field sets up eddy currents in metal which heats it up and is generally undesirable. i think there are more advanced wireless charging technologies that minimize this problem but i don't know if any are commercialized

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

upgrade to an iPhone sux

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

there is no upgrade from the se

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

what phone does :rms2: use?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

rotary

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Silver Alicorn posted:

what phone does :rms2: use?

two cans and a piece of string

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

some fsf monstrosity that performs speech to text and emails him the transcript?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

carry on then posted:

some fsf monstrosity that performs speech to text and emails him the transcript?

lol. yeah, it's this.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i think it literally is something quite like that lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

he has an assistant

• Locked thread