Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://www.theopen.com/

In the aftermath of the World Cup (and to a lesser extent Wimbledon), you could be forgiven for forgetting that The Open Championship is this week. But it's at Carnoustie where, in 1999, Jean van de Velde choked away a 3 stroke lead on the 72nd hole letting Paul Lawrie and Justin Leonard into a playoff where Lawrie would win his one and only major championship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGztH20kfOw

Air Times (ET)
Thu/Fri: 1:30 am - 4 pm Golf Channel
Sat/Sun: 4:30 - 7 am Golf Channel; 7 am - 3 pm NBC

That's coverage of every shot of every player, so make sure your Golf Channel/NBC Sports mobile apps are working.

Marquee Tee Times (ET)
9:58 am -- Jordan Spieth, Justin Rose, Kiradech Aphibarnrat
10:09 am -- Jon Rahm, Rickie Fowler, Chris Wood
10:20 am -- Louis Oosthuizen, Paul Casey, Patrick Reed
12:31 pm -- Henrik Stenson, Tommy Fleetwood, Jimmy Walker
12:53 pm -- Rory McIlroy, Marc Leishman, Thorbjorn Olesen
1:04 pm -- Dustin Johnson, Alex Noren, Charley Hoffman

Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes as of 6am ET Monday)
Dustin Johnson 12/1
Justin Rose 16/1
Rickie Fowler 16/1
Rory McIlroy 16/1
Jon Rahm 20/1
Jordan Spieth 20/1
Tommy Fleetwood 20/1
Brooks Koepka 25/1
Francesco Molinari 25/1
Henrik Stenson 25/1
Justin Thomas 25/1
Tiger Woods 25/1

Betting Pool
Pick an available player who isn't one of the listed top 10 betting favorites. Best finisher gets a dozen balls or :20bux: from everyone else.

Josh Lyman: Sergio Garcia
mattfl: Bubba Watson
Shrapnig: Hideki Matsuyama
Keyser_Soze: Marc Leishman
Dr. Capco: Patrick Reed
Kameh: Matt Kuchar
Boco_T: Kevin Na
DJExile: Louis Oosthuizen
shyduck: Paul Casey
torgeaux: Phil Mickelson

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lmao how is tiger getting 25/1 odds

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Watson for me as usual. Dude has been playing amazing golf this season.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Josh Lyman you fucker. You can't pick Sergio!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Matsuyama for me

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I hereby choose Marc Leishman of House Bogan :australia:

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I'll take Reed and go full heel as your current pick champion. (Still hope Fleetwood wins it though :ssh: )

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Josh Lyman you fucker. You can't pick Sergio!
You haven’t picked him for a while so I thought you guys had broken up.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
You've cleared underestimated our love. Plus he lost in the playoff 10 years ago. Don't think I don't remember.

I'll go with Matt Kuchar, but if Sergio ends up winning the pool, just know that I'm not going to send you $20.

Edit: or maybe I will! I might be so excited that I don't care, we'll just have to see.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I'll take Kevin Na in the pool, gimme the hot hand

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'll take Oosthuizen

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/the-open-championship/weather.html

Booo. I want cyclonic winds and driving rain!

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Nah. The BEST Open's are the baked out and windy ones. Let them play some proper on-the-ground links golf once every 10 years.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'll take Molinari

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

shyduck posted:

I'll take Molinari

He's on the no pick list unless you're going way out of the box and picking Edoardo which would be bold since he didn't qualify.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

zinc68 posted:

Nah. The BEST Open's are the baked out and windy ones. Let them play some proper on-the-ground links golf once every 10 years.

Fair enough. Looks like a tough track without bad weather:

https://youtu.be/Q2IboJSUk84

Also, this guys impressions are pretty close!

https://youtu.be/BAMDnm3qWjc

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

He's on the no pick list unless you're going way out of the box and picking Edoardo which would be bold since he didn't qualify.
Ah whoops! Completely missed that somehow.

I'll take Paul Casey

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bryson DeChambeau was banned from using a drawing compass with his yardage book to determine "true" pin locations: https://golfweek.com/2018/07/05/usga-disallows-use-of-compass-after-bryson-dechambeau-episode/

His reponse: "Look, I'll say one thing on that. I will say it's unfortunate. That was never my intention, to skirt the rules or anything like that. It was just a device I thought had been used for a long time in different fields. It shouldn't be an issue. It's not a distance-measuring device. It's just a referencing tool.

Yeah okay buddy, determining locations doesn't involve distance-measuring at all. :rolleyes:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 18, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Bryson DeChambeau was banned from using a drawing compass with his yardage book to determine "true" pin locations: https://golfweek.com/2018/07/05/usga-disallows-use-of-compass-after-bryson-dechambeau-episode/

His reponse: "Look, I'll say one thing on that. I will say it's unfortunate. That was never my intention, to skirt the rules or anything like that. It was just a device I thought had been used for a long time in different fields. It shouldn't be an issue. It's not a distance-measuring device. It's just a referencing tool.

Yeah okay buddy, determining locations doesn't involve distance-measuring at all. :rolleyes:

I gotta be honest, that's a pretty clever idea.

Dr. Capco posted:

I'll take Reed and go full heel as your current pick champion. (Still hope Fleetwood wins it though :ssh: )

Yo by the way, Paypal just today bounced your $20 for winning the US Open pool back to me because I hosed up your email (I put ".co" instead of ".com"). I'm re-sending it with the correct email.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

shyduck posted:

I'll take Molinari
Francesco Molinari is an excluded pick. PICK AGAIN!!!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Francesco Molinari is an excluded pick. PICK AGAIN!!!

shyduck posted:

Ah whoops! Completely missed that somehow.

I'll take Paul Casey
:colbert:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Does Chambo have his putter grip on sideways??

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I might be dumb (I am actually), but how was he using the compass to figure out true pin locations?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Dr. Capco posted:

I might be dumb (I am actually), but how was he using the compass to figure out true pin locations?

They give the players a description of the pin placement that says something like “3 paces on, 5 paces off the left” and also has the pin location marked on an overhead view of the green. Apparently he doesn’t trust the image and was plotting for himself those distances to see where the pin is?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Phil, the sentimental favorite.

Edit. To clarify, im picking phil for the pool.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I wasn't really paying attention to this other than seeing headlines and thought he was using an actual magnetic compass which wouldn't surprise me either to be honest.

A "drafting" compass is obviously a distance measuring device, it's literally the purpose of the tool.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I'm all aboard the Bryson is a douche train, but I don't really understand what a compass verifies.

Is he saying the picture on the pin sheet is incorrect?

Is he saying the picture is correct but the distances given to him are incorrect?

Does the grounds crew literally pace off from the edges of the green towards the center and he's taking issue with the stride of their pace vs what they've said the distance is?

Or do they use a Laser Rangefinder and or GPS??

I have to assume that the pin sheets are drawn accurately and to scale. I just don't understand what information he's verifying. If I remember correctly, he pulled out his Compass to do some measurements before he got up and down to either win the tournament or secure his spot in the playoff, because the commentators even that early on said that he would have looked like a fool if he did all this stuff and didn't pull off the up and down in the end.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
What a dickhead. Just hit the ball in the hole. Stop being a golf sperglord.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Just wondering, why are rangefinders illegal? wouldnt it help with the pace of play if they can just zap the target instead of fiddling around with their yardage book?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

I wasn't really paying attention to this other than seeing headlines and thought he was using an actual magnetic compass which wouldn't surprise me either to be honest.

A "drafting" compass is obviously a distance measuring device, it's literally the purpose of the tool.
Interestingly, a directional compass is legal.

Kameh posted:

I'm all aboard the Bryson is a douche train, but I don't really understand what a compass verifies.

Is he saying the picture on the pin sheet is incorrect?

Is he saying the picture is correct but the distances given to him are incorrect?

Does the grounds crew literally pace off from the edges of the green towards the center and he's taking issue with the stride of their pace vs what they've said the distance is?

Or do they use a Laser Rangefinder and or GPS??

I have to assume that the pin sheets are drawn accurately and to scale. I just don't understand what information he's verifying. If I remember correctly, he pulled out his Compass to do some measurements before he got up and down to either win the tournament or secure his spot in the playoff, because the commentators even that early on said that he would have looked like a fool if he did all this stuff and didn't pull off the up and down in the end.
The only thing I've found is "The pin locations are just a little bit off every once in a while, and so I’m making sure they’re in the exact right spot. And that’s it."

This seems like a misleading statement. He's using the compass with his yardage book. The only way that would be useful is if he's taking the pin location and drawing it onto the diagrams of the greens to see where the hole is relative to the slopes. It's also possible he's seeing the arc of where a particular distance could end up in terms of tee shots and layups.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 19, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Golden boy Jordan Spieth just teed off. Justin Rose is also in his group, should be good TV.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Trust me, just click and watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEr_Ea-36hE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf7XOGqNCsU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO9VJvuOrVw

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Fantastic off-green putt there from Spieth. Wow.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Fantastic off-green putt there from Spieth. Wow.
Yeah that was insane. Looked like it came within a couple inches of being putted into the bunker. Probably went way left of his intended line. It’s takes a bit of luck to win a tournament.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
C'mon play fair Jordan, what was that.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

If Tiger wins everyone in the world will be wearing that tape on their neck, good time to invest in that company lol

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Dustin Johnson with a 408 yard drive on the 9th against Tiger who hit it 221

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Leishman, you garbageman - you were supposed to save your meltdown for Saturday.

Let's go Big Tony for the Flattbrimmin' lifestyle.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Boco_T posted:

Dustin Johnson with a 408 yard drive on the 9th against Tiger who hit it 221

DJ, against perhaps the advice of everyone not named Koepka, really stuck to his game plan of bomb and gouge. Can't really gouge effectively from a burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Not the smartest gallery following tiger. That was close.

• Locked thread