Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
OP are you interested in changing how you live your life? The way I read your post, most of your stress comes from two things. Not being able to discuss your conclusions about the existence of God, and not being able to satisfy your curiosity about the world around you. If you could do those things, would you keep on living the way you do now? Keeping the same family, job, friends, and behaviors?

I know we've been talking about you and not so much about the life you lead. I find myself a little bit in the same boat. I don't know what I don't know. But I'd like to know more. One thing I'm interested in is that your community uses smart phones. Did that develop reluctantly and was only accepted after appropriate filters were developed, or do you think someone decided it would be something useful, and tried to make it fit in as quickly as possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

There is no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase!
Does it bother you a lot that you have to teach your kids things that you yourself don't believe in? Or do you see it as just what you have to do in order to continue to be in their lives? Do you ever try to subtly discourage them from believing the things that you disagree with most strongly?

How much do you and the people in your community identify with being American? I'm curious because you talk about what a culture shock it would be if you left your community. Do all the cultural differences lead to people not seeing themselves as American and/or not seeing themselves as having much in common with other Americans?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Never having met anyone of the opposite sex aside from family members and then marrying one after meeting twice seems crazy to me. But I guess Satmar are hardly the only ones who do it that way. At least it sounds like they match 2 young adults rather than a 14 year old girl with a 50 year old man.

Are you apprehensive about having to match your own kids like that? I hear arranged marriages are actually more likely to "succeed" than non-arranged ones, although I assume at least some of that is that they tend to occur in cultures that very strongly discourage divorces.

Did your thoughts on arranged marriage change once you stopped believing?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

The Moon Monster posted:

At least it sounds like they match 2 young adults rather than a 14 year old girl with a 50 year old man.
Weeeeeeeeell the age gap isn't THAT dramatic, but you might wanna look up "shidduch crisis"

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Is it legal for a father to be kept from his children after a divorce when he has done nothing wrong? It seems like the secular laws would prevent this - even if the religious laws of the community conflict, the secular laws override them.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Do people in the Satmar community talk about other religions?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

BarbarianElephant posted:

Is it legal for a father to be kept from his children after a divorce when he has done nothing wrong? It seems like the secular laws would prevent this - even if the religious laws of the community conflict, the secular laws override them.

That would depend a lot on what 'kept from' means exactly that would be a bit of a tangent to discuss.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BarbarianElephant posted:

http://jewishweek.timesofisrael.com/satmar-custody-case-hinges-on-value-of-religious-community/

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

You mentioned that leaving to join another, less strict Jewish community would be considered as bad as just leaving. As a reform jew myself, I'm curious to hear how your community talks about other religious sects. Obviously it doesn't like them, but is it like the lgbt thing where they're just mentioned as little as possible, or are they openly disparaged? Are you taught in your religious school about them, is it just kinda mentioned that these other things exist, to what extent do members of your community know about other Jewish sects?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
It's weird to me that the courts are just fine with this sort of stuff happening when it's a religion, but if it were any other sort of relationship, would be considered abusive.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
No questions to add, but this is fascinating OP.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I apologize if this question sucks for you but I'm curious as hell.

What do you think of your relationship to your community and especially your wife, given that they'd all want you gone if they knew the truth about you?

To me its completely inconceivable to even try for a romantic relationship where that level of dishonesty and secrecy is necessary. Knowing that the person I am supposed to trust and depend on most in life would never accept me if they knew the truth about me is just about the most psychologically painful thing I can imagine.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've lived in the closet (different issue, same hiding-everything-from-everyone), and I know how isolated that can make you feel - it's horrible, and I'm sorry you're in that position.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
OP, most goons don't know how to dress like a normal person either.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Jorts and a game-reference t-shirt, simple :eng101:

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
Has anyone bought the OP PMs yet?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

OP, I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's just terrible. It's not right.

For the record, I'm an atheist who was raised Orthodox Jewish, and went to an Orthodox school. Orthodox Judaism isn't even remotely as extreme as what you describe - there was no community you had to live in closed off from the outside world with religious secret police reading your phone.

I don't know what to ask. I wish you well.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
OP, what would you do if one of your children came to you with doubts?

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
OP, you said people aren't taught English in your community. Does that mean that the only outsiders the community deals with are Yiddish-speakers or are there a select few in the community who act as English interpreters? For that matter, do you have to hide the fact you speak English?

I imagine finding people who speak Yiddish would not be that hard in a big American city, but it must be horrible when you have to travel abroad or to a smaller town.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

OP, you said people aren't taught English in your community. Does that mean that the only outsiders the community deals with are Yiddish-speakers or are there a select few in the community who act as English interpreters? For that matter, do you have to hide the fact you speak English?

I imagine finding people who speak Yiddish would not be that hard in a big American city, but it must be horrible when you have to travel abroad or to a smaller town.

I think the only abroad travel they'd do would be to Israel, if at all. My understanding is that Satmar communities simply never need to leave their area - everything is part of the community from cradle to grave. There might be people who speak English that do business outside the community but that might be it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you were to leave the community, are there aspects of Satmar life that you would keep?

I'm a non-observant jew but I still enjoy doing certain things, like observing the Sabbath as you mentioned- not in an ultra-orthodox way, IE I have no qualms about flipping a light switch, but having a dedicated "off day", walking everywhere, minimizing electronics usage, having a nice, sitdown friday meal with loved ones... I think it's good for mental health even if I don't believe I've been commanded by god to do it.

I assume you've kept kosher all your life too- if you left, would you immediately start hitting the cheeseburgers or mostly keep the same diet?

Also, has questioning your faith in this way caused any alienation in non-religious life, compared to your peers? For example, politically. I imagine a non-religious SA goon is going to have a very different outlook from the average person in your community on say, LGBTQ rights or the state of Israel. Or entertainment-wise- using your unfiltered phone do you find yourself wishing you could talk to friends and family about media or news that they haven't seen?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 30, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I wonder what the reasons for this extreme level of social control is. OP, do the Satmar expect the end times to happen soon? Or is there just an extreme view of the outside world as immoral?

As others have said, this is wrong and no person should be controlled in this manner. I don't know what I could do to help you out, but I hope you make it.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
If you leave your wife/she leaves you, will the community have her marry some one else right away?

How do you feel about leaving your kids and trying to reach out to them if they don't come with you?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
OP was likely killed in what I presume was a very orthodox fashion several months ago, sorry.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I hope the OP isn’t dead :ohdear:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Xun posted:

I hope the OP isn’t dead :ohdear:

Ask me about living a Satmar life as a corpse

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

[2 years later] Ask me about the jewish inquisition.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Lima posted:

[2 years later] Ask me about the jewish inquisition.

Wow, definitely didn't expect that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Well, if anything bad did happen, and I really hope it didn't, I did warn him to be really loving careful, because we already know the Satmars are aware of Something Awful and have tracked/harassed ex-Satmar forums posters in the past.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
What would happen if he left, divorced his wife, then sued for custody

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

He probably can’t afford lawyers as good as the ones the community can get with pooled resources, plus I’ve heard of cases where they actively poison the kids against the person who leaves. :smith:

I think this article explains it better than I ever could
https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premium-the-harsh-reality-awaiting-hasidic-jews-who-leave-the-fold-1.5459985

Xun fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 8, 2018

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Looks like it’s behind a paywall.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Xun posted:

He probably can’t afford lawyers as good as the ones the community can get with pooled resources, plus I’ve heard of cases where they actively poison the kids against the person who leaves. :smith:

I think this article explains it better than I ever could
https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premium-the-harsh-reality-awaiting-hasidic-jews-who-leave-the-fold-1.5459985

The article mentions a documentary that happens to be on Netflix, if anyone is interested in watching it. Pretty hosed up stuff.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Netflix documentary is 'One of Us' for those who don't want to gently caress with the paywall.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Oh huh, didn’t realize it had a paywall at all. I read the article before posting it here but I guess the wall went up afterwards.

Edit: weirdly enough I get the whole article if I click it on google through my phone :confused: Im going to quote the bits relevant to custody and lawyering up

quote:

Ausch is fighting to regain custody of her young children, but feels cowed by the money and influence that back her ex-husband, she tells Haaretz. The community pays for his excellent private lawyers; she is represented by the New York Legal Assistance Group, which aids the indigent.

The judge allotted Ausch one hour per week of supervised visitation with each of the three older children. Restrictive conditions make seeing them nearly impossible, she says, because the required times conflict with her full-time job and full-time college studies.

On the rare occasions she gets to see them, a custodial relative shadows a foot away, lest she say something that contradicts the worldview they are taught. It is devastating that her children, who are very close with each other, are also separated from each other, she says, her voice shaking.

When a parent has gone OTD(off the derech) and is trying to regain custody of their children, “You’re not just fighting your spouse and their family. You’re literally fighting an entire community – and one which has so much money,” says Getter. “Sometimes you’re actually fighting your parents,” since they often side with the still-religious spouse and the community.

The Haredi community “has gotten a lot smarter in the past five to eight years,” adds Getter. “They start rallying the minute somebody leaves. They hire lawyers that first second.”

They also know judges will often agree that “preserving the religious status quo” is of primary importance.

Lawyer Mark Holtzer, who is representing Ausch’s ex-husband, timed the filing of the case so it would be assigned to a specific judge who is particularly sympathetic to Hasidim, allege those working with Ausch. “It would be inappropriate to discuss the custody case with you while the litigation is pending,” Holtzer responded to Haaretz after requests for his perspective.

Ausch’s story is not unique, say those who work with parents who have left the Hasidic community and lost custody of their children in the process. “OTD parents having their children ripped away from them is not a new story,” says Chavie Weisberger, who won back custody of her three children in August, some eight years after being divorced.

Her court victory came after the rare appeal of a lower court ruling. Now it is giving other OTD parents a glimmer of hope.

I think Ausch is from a different community than OP, but it sounds like it’s quite tough to get custody :smith:

Xun fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 9, 2018

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You want another example that underscores how bad ultra-orthodox communities are? If a woman divorces her husband, obtaining a get - the religious decree of divorce - is solely up to the husband to grant it. A few years back, there was this rogue rabbi who would hire himself and his team of what I'm assuming are heavily muscular hired goons with peyos to kidnap the husband and threaten him until he signed the get, and to break a few bones until he did. https://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2015/12/rabbis_sentenced_to_prison_for_plot_to_kidnap_husb.html

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

You want another example that underscores how bad ultra-orthodox communities are? If a woman divorces her husband, obtaining a get - the religious decree of divorce - is solely up to the husband to grant it. A few years back, there was this rogue rabbi who would hire himself and his team of what I'm assuming are heavily muscular hired goons with peyos to kidnap the husband and threaten him until he signed the get, and to break a few bones until he did. https://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2015/12/rabbis_sentenced_to_prison_for_plot_to_kidnap_husb.html
Wish I would've been on that jury.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MJP posted:

Also they apparently had quite the issue with child rape, not unlike the Catholic church. Who knew powerful, hierarchical societies all operate in similar, disgusting ways?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

Also they apparently had quite the issue with child rape, not unlike the Catholic church. Who knew powerful, hierarchical societies all operate in similar, disgusting ways?

You think that's bad, google "metzitzah b'peh", and try not to vomit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

MJP posted:

You want another example that underscores how bad ultra-orthodox communities are? If a woman divorces her husband, obtaining a get - the religious decree of divorce - is solely up to the husband to grant it. A few years back, there was this rogue rabbi who would hire himself and his team of what I'm assuming are heavily muscular hired goons with peyos to kidnap the husband and threaten him until he signed the get, and to break a few bones until he did.

So if the husband was being a dick and refused to grant a religious divorce (thus making it impossible for the wife to remarry), she could actually get back at him? Not really seeing the downside here.

• Locked thread