Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

There is absolutely no way that all these people couldn't see the very obvious prosthetics. They are all playing along and hoping for some media exposure, right?

That and they're probably not allowed to see the guy right up until the moment the interview starts, and pains are taken so that everything right up until that moment (including all the producers who the mark deals with) seems legit enough to make them want to rationalize away any details that suddenly seem off. It definitely ends up being part of the joke, though; the costumes are probably deliberately as goofy and unconvincing as possible just so the final clip of the mark being manipulated looks all the more shameful and driven by the mark's own true motivations rather than that they were taken by some difficult to detect trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm gonna be honest, if I wanted to "deport" all Muslims to "Madagascar" I would probably be totally behind the butt guy now after watching that segment. He seems like he is genuinely stupid and deranged and would do it, instead of the average Republican who was just gonna promise it but then take my money and human dignity and do the ol' switcheroo and not kill all the minorities.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I completely believe all those people in that Arizona town hall meeting are that stupid and xenophobic. Like, it's pretty easy to buy that considering SB 1070 if you remember that/the controversy around it from several years ago.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Donald Trump is president.

messed up if true

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

There are thinkpieces on Vulture and Vanity Fair about how the Corinne Olympios segment wasn't funny/had no point because it wasn't about a politician, and it was unfair to target her because there was an uneven power dynamic.

I think that's total nonsense. She literally claimed that her celebrity prevented the massacre of six thousand people and then endorsed arming child soldiers. The farthest Vulture will go is to say that she's vapid, but that's not vapid, that's evil and it's infantilising to suggest that she was "tricked" into saying something vile just because she's a famous woman instead of an old white male politician. Like, what, she's too stupid to be bad? The only thing she was concerned about was getting caught in her lie.

Olympios also claims that she was in fear for her life and was separated from her manager despite repeated attempts to talk to him. That could be true? But it also seems like something someone with no scruples and no conscience would say if they wanted to rehabilitate their image after being exposed as totally amoral on television.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Uneven power dynamic? She’s a rich celebrity.:lol:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like, the whole thing in that segment is Cohen's character telling her, "we want you to do this evil thing, we'll pay you and no-one will know you did it", and she chooses to do it. It's a cut and dry moral test that she fails spectacularly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Android Blues posted:

Like, the whole thing in that segment is Cohen's character telling her, "we want you to do this evil thing, we'll pay you and no-one will know you did it", and she chooses to do it. It's a cut and dry moral test that she fails spectacularly.

Yep. Classic Banality Of Evil stuff.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
when you're doing interviews in studio people always look like monsters with makeup heavily caked on to disguise all sorts of poo poo, even if they're good looking. How many episodes is this supposed to be? I can't see how they top a state congressman doing all that.

Anyone else feel like they wasted the Bernie slot?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Android Blues posted:

Olympios also claims that she was in fear for her life and was separated from her manager despite repeated attempts to talk to him. That could be true? But it also seems like something someone with no scruples and no conscience would say if they wanted to rehabilitate their image after being exposed as totally amoral on television.

In fear for her life? Why?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
These people need to watch an after school special on peer pressure.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Android Blues posted:

There are thinkpieces on Vulture and Vanity Fair about how the Corinne Olympios segment wasn't funny/had no point because it wasn't about a politician, and it was unfair to target her because there was an uneven power dynamic.

I think that's total nonsense. She literally claimed that her celebrity prevented the massacre of six thousand people and then endorsed arming child soldiers. The farthest Vulture will go is to say that she's vapid, but that's not vapid, that's evil and it's infantilising to suggest that she was "tricked" into saying something vile just because she's a famous woman instead of an old white male politician. Like, what, she's too stupid to be bad? The only thing she was concerned about was getting caught in her lie.

I have no idea who this woman is, but she seemed like legit mentally handicapped and would do pretty much anything a person of perceived authority would tell her to do (which is a thing that happens, regardless of the person's wealth or stature), which is why it came off as weird to me. Although maybe the same could be said about Jason Spencer, so just gently caress them all I guess.

Except for the gallery lady, she owned.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 26, 2018

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah the gallery lady ruled. If anything by the end it felt like she was pranking Cohen, because she was just totally unselfconscious and escalated the scenario to a level he started to look vaguely uncomfortable with.

He'd totally been expecting, "I push and push until she melts down and reveals her avant garde approach to art has limits," and instead she pushes back and escalates it to the point where he has to handle snippets of her pubic hair. I want to be friends with that woman.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If you wanna take it even further you could say that the town hall people were racist mainly because they were most likely extremely poor and uneducated and their environment is the product of an insular culture that is in part created by giant corporations like Fox News. Sacha did nothing to address the underlying issues and instead just punched down on a group of people who probably couldn't have changed their ways even if they wanted to.

But on the other hand fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck those racist assholes.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Android Blues posted:

Yeah the gallery lady ruled. If anything by the end it felt like she was pranking Cohen, because she was just totally unselfconscious and escalated the scenario to a level he started to look vaguely uncomfortable with.

He'd totally been expecting, "I push and push until she melts down and reveals her avant garde approach to art has limits," and instead she pushes back and escalates it to the point where he has to handle snippets of her pubic hair. I want to be friends with that woman.

It also wasn't that outlandish, I have literally seen art using sperm and blood (by Jan Fabre) in a temporary exhibition at the Louvre 10 years ago. No idea what adding some cum stains to a drawing of a parrot added as far as artistic value, but I don't know much about art off course.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gallery lady is my personal hero.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Finally watching this properly, and lmfao this fuckin art gallery lady.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

bernie sanders' facial expressions and eye movements were the best part of his section

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Anyone know how many episodes are in the season? I'm really interested in the footage he's saving for later airings.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I can’t wait for the Sarah Palin interview.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Ninth Layer posted:

Anyone know how many episodes are in the season? I'm really interested in the footage he's saving for later airings.

Seven episode run. Nobody has any loving clue what's coming next besides like Moore and Palin

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 26, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Taintrunner posted:

Seven episode run. Nobody has any loving clue what's coming next besides like Moore and Palin
The 2 episodes so far have made cringe and laugh so hard it hurt, so I can't wait to see what the remaining 5 episodes have in store :magical:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SeANMcBAY posted:

I can’t wait for the Sarah Palin interview.

Same

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Android Blues posted:

I think there's a point where SBC has to admit he's been beaten at his own game.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

The art gallery lady totally ruled, but SBC's choices for his character seemed pretty weak.
I can't really imagine any art major really batting an eyelash at the concept of using bodily fluids as a medium. It's pretty much the laziest metaphor for really "putting yourself in your Art." Outsider art has also been a thing for a long long time, so the felon angle doesn't really push anything. And the fact that she's an art major from SoCal; she's probably seen [and done] a LOT weirder poo poo than a pube-brush in her day, which is why she was already two steps ahead of him at that point.

It was still a fun bit, but I can't imagine that it went anything like what SBC expected.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Phi230 posted:

Like getting a lib to say they'd gently caress a dolphin will never surpass guns for tots or an elected official thrusting his rear end while grunting at SBC

"Guns for tots" you say? Well, he's a couple of years too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUK12qrotdg

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Uneven power dynamic? She’s a rich celebrity.:lol:

Not only that but all through her season of the The Bachelor she claimed to be the founder/operator of a multi-million dollar company. She also gleefully played along with CBS’ narrative that she was the victim with that whole Bachelor in Paradise misconduct stuff last year.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Of all the bachelor/reality villains I've seen, Corinne was one of the most vile and blatantly attention-seeking ones. She thoroughly deserved this

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not only that but all through her season of the The Bachelor she claimed to be the founder/operator of a multi-million dollar company. She also gleefully played along with CBS’ narrative that she was the victim with that whole Bachelor in Paradise misconduct stuff last year.

It was her dad’s company and she worked for him. They were pretty open about that on the show because the edit was basically mocking her for sensationalizing her level of importance there.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

mr. unhsib posted:

The only character falling flat for me is the ultra liberal dude. It's not a bad concept but Cohen needs to use him like he uses Morrad, take him to an enclave of supposed allies and get them say outlandish poo poo (like "sure I'd gently caress a dolphin").

I thought his bit in the first episode was pretty weak....but his bit in the second episode where he wanted to build a mosque in that Arizona town was very good.

Also....the bit with Dick Cheney where he kept saying that people wanted to see more Dick was great. Even better was when he said that in prep for the interview....he googled "Dick" and "Torture" and that it showed a bunch of "strange contraptions". Then said "but these have nothing to do with you". Hilarious. Also the segment breaks were pretty great. The one that had me laughing out loud was the cut between an bomb exploding, Cohen doing martial arts moves, and then for no particular reason, him getting kicked in the nuts.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
https://twitter.com/SachaBaronCohen/status/1023378604472717313

Roy Moore this week, praise Allah.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Oh hell yes. And I still haven't seen last week's.

I even liked the first episode so based on this thread I really can't wait.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Let me show you how your town will change."
"Oh hell no".

For some reason that oh hell know always gets me.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Get that poo poo outta here!! You ruined it!!!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hhahahahahahaha thats a perfect edit

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When do they put it up for streaming? I used my free trial on this show (and to rewatch Twin Peaks S3)

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

precision posted:

When do they put it up for streaming? I used my free trial on this show (and to rewatch Twin Peaks S3)

Dumb Lowtax posted:

FYI it seems to hit Hulu streaming at 7pm. Our billboards in Cali say 10pm out of sheer laziness by failure to specify a time zone but it's going to be released at 7. All time zones release it simultaneously at 10pm Eastern time. Get ready to watch in half an hour.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Ah poo poo it's not good news unfortunately, the whole new episode was executed even more poorly than most of episode 1. Big letdown from last week's quality.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sacha shared the Moore bit on social media. I actually like the he didn't trick him much outside of forgetting Alabama had slavery, but the stupid pedophile detector bit just made me lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah this week's wasn't as good, but it's gonna be hard to top getting a state rep to bare his rear end on tv and shout the N word.

The bit with the birthday party was really really good though. It's always fun getting racists to do dumb poo poo.

• Locked thread