Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WATCH THIS FIRST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkXeMoBPSDk

Who Is America? is a comedy on Showtime by Sacha Baron Cohen, aka creator of the original "My wife!" line Scott Aukerman references a lot (and I guess he's done other things?). This is his first show in almost 15 years, since the massive success of Da Ali G Show in 2000-04, and it follows the same format as that programme, where Baron Cohen disguises himself as ridiculous, outlandish figures and poses with real figures (this time, almost entirely from the world of American politics), and tries, usually extremely successfully, to get them to endorse, agree with, or otherwise tolerate his absurd satirical nonsense.

Characters shown so far are Billy Wayne Ruddick Jr., Ph.D., a far-right lunatic with a website called TRUTHBRARY, Dr. Nira Cain-N'Degeocello, a liberal activist and straight, white cis man (for which he apologises), Rick Sherman, an ex-convict who makes art out of poo poo and semen, and of course Erran Morad, an Israeli anti-terrorism expert who manages to convince several prominent Republican figures to endorse a fictional program arming children as young as two or three.

It's batshit.

I thought the first half of the first episode was very hit and miss - and the whole 'gonna mock both sides!' thing really doesn't work so well in the current climate - but the second half (ie the video above) is utterly incredible and one of the best things he's ever done. I absolutely cannot wait to see more - it's certainly a lot better than fuckin' Grimsby.

Who Is America? airs on Sundays at 9pm ET/PT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This episode overall was much better than the first even if nothing quite reached the heights of the arming toddlers stuff. That town hall meeting at the end was loving hilarious

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Martian Manfucker posted:

Here is a link to an article about the town hall meeting written back in January. The people interviewed for the article figured out that something was up at the time, but that didn't stop the others.

I can’t see this because they block GDPR countries from viewing the site (lol), could anyone paste it?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Quick reminder to those who may not have seen it to check out Nathan For You. It’s based in absurdism/capitalism rather than politics, but it’s also the most genius show of this kind I’ve ever seen, and it’s no surprise SBC brought Fielder on to work on this show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this is Showtime. Ali G was on HBO.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not a gigantic fan of 3/4 segments but that whole catching Mexicans bit was holy poo poo incredible

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zesty posted:

I have to think the cops were actors there.

I thought probably the show called the cops

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Definitely a middling episode, but still real fun.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The sex ed guy absolutely twigged that something was up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The political sections in this one weren’t so hot but the birth and food critic sections ruled

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
nah she isn’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m ok with it only being seven eps. It definitely already peaked.

• Locked thread