Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

8one6 posted:

Ghost girl thought
Ghost girl had ghost flames and the evil ghost god was weak to fire. If you told me that Kumail Ali Nanjiani's character was a last minute addition to cover over the parts of the movie they were told to cut out to get rid of the obvious love interest for Phoebe I'd have no reason to doubt you.

There's so much stuff in this that sort of just comes to nothing. The wax cylinder is sort of another one. And to an extent, that's sort of a Ghostbusters thing (I much preferred not really knowing what Shandor was all about), but you sort of need several comic greats at the top of their game to paper over those cracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Disco Pope posted:

There's so much stuff in this that sort of just comes to nothing. The wax cylinder is sort of another one. And to an extent, that's sort of a Ghostbusters thing (I much preferred not really knowing what Shandor was all about), but you sort of need several comic greats at the top of their game to paper over those cracks.

Thinking about stuff that comes to nothing

The Ecto-1 is falling apart and it's electrical system is failing... Until Finn Wolfhard fixes it 15 seconds later.
The wax cylinder that can release the evil god is grabbed by a ghost... Only to be smashed two minutes later.
The mayor has confiscated the proton packs... Good thing Winston had a van full of new ones in the next scene.
Ghost girl is named the same as the diner. This was important enough to dramatically reveal but not important enough to ever follow up on.
The extremely obvious lesbian romance that was obviously cut to hell in the edit.
"Wait, aren't we already in the library." That feels like a reshoot to fix something.

Etc, etc.

It really seems like there were three scripts that were poorly edited together into one big mess.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

8one6 posted:

The Ecto-1 is falling apart and it's electrical system is failing... Until Finn Wolfhard fixes it 15 seconds later.
The wax cylinder that can release the evil god is grabbed by a ghost... Only to be smashed two minutes later.
The mayor has confiscated the proton packs... Good thing Winston had a van full of new ones in the next scene.
Ghost girl is named the same as the diner. This was important enough to dramatically reveal but not important enough to ever follow up on.
The extremely obvious lesbian romance that was obviously cut to hell in the edit.
"Wait, aren't we already in the library." That feels like a reshoot to fix something.

Etc, etc.

It really seems like there were three scripts that were poorly edited together into one big mess.

Every ghost is unleashed from the containment unit - and all we see are some ghostly swirls around New York?
Phoebe cuts up the firepole to bronze the proton pack. Kumail uses the pole a minute later.
Did Janine ever even use her weapon?
They reveal a new Ecto Containment unit - was it used ever again?
For some reason, the old containment unit sucked in all the ghosts except Ghostgirl? I guess the same could be said for Egon in Afterlife.

It really feels like 20 minutes is missing from the end or something.

roffels fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 24, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Disco Pope posted:

It's waaaaaay to overstuffed with characters and sub-plots, some of which go nowhere

They've always been extremely open about their longterm goal being a Ghostbusters Expanded Universe with spinoffs and sequels. Winston's secret ghost lab sure felt like a setup for that (even if all the other extra characters didn't)

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I saw something the other day confirming they are still making an animated series for Netflix. If they did Extreme Ghostbusters or RGB in an X-Men 97 style that could be good, I suspect it won't be that.

The best I can personally hope for in terms of live action projects going forward is a Andor style spin off that is aimed at a more mature audience, obviously not the same themes as Andor but there was a nice little section in FE which started to go more into horror which I'd love to see more of, unfortunately you can't merchandise that to kids like mini pufts.

I can't wait to see the split in the fanbase amongst the people who have rabidly attacked any criticism of Frozen Empire and also can't get over 2016 when Pheobe is inevitably revealed as LGBTQIA+ in the next movie, I mean she was in this one but to quote RLM 'there was plausible deniability'.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

8one6 posted:

Etc, etc.

To add to things that go nowhere I'd add:

Trevor complaining about feeling infantalised, a subplot that just sort of stops.
Trevor's attempts to deal with slimer.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They've always been extremely open about their longterm goal being a Ghostbusters Expanded Universe with spinoffs and sequels. Winston's secret ghost lab sure felt like a setup for that (even if all the other extra characters didn't)

That's fine, but I'm talking about character arcs and plot threads from the same film. None of these things feel like teasers, they feel like Frankensteined scripts and editing suite butchery. I enjoyed Winston's lab though, I'm a sucker for a monster zoo and this was very literally that.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 24, 2024

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alan_Shore posted:

Oh and I didn't click those spoilers from a few pages ago that you were all melting down about, and going back to read them and they're FAKE hahaha

EDIT: Also, I enjoyed the cold open. Much better than the 2016 cold open but that bar was so low it was in the basement

I'm disappointed because over the top bad is more interesting than boring bad.

CelticPredator posted:

I don't associate this person with spoilers in anyway so idk why I would

Yeah to me it was more like the Rise of Skywalker or latter Game of Thrones spoilers where they sounded extremely fake because of how stupid they were but turned out to be real.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
If of interest, there's a really fun piece about Dan Aykroyd's interest in and promotion of the paranormal in the latest issue of Fortean Times, including a very funny description of the time he claimed to share a bed with a "gay ghost".

Hey, Hollywood, why don't you reference the blowjob ghost, you loving cowards?!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Disco Pope posted:

If of interest, there's a really fun piece about Dan Aykroyd's interest in and promotion of the paranormal in the latest issue of Fortean Times, including a very funny description of the time he claimed to share a bed with a "gay ghost".

Hey, Hollywood, why don't you reference the blowjob ghost, you loving cowards?!

Because editing turned it into a dream, instead of the actual job he and Winston were driving to during the "Jesus' style" scene, and where they were returning from when the firehouse blew up.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Because editing turned it into a dream, instead of the actual job he and Winston were driving to during the "Jesus' style" scene, and where they were returning from when the firehouse blew up.

Literal readings of the text don't matter, all that matter is paper-thin iconography that make doughy, balding men with disposable income feel good, and getting sucked off by a hot ghost makes me bust, and bustin makes me feel good!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Disco Pope posted:

To add to things that go nowhere I'd add:

Trevor complaining about feeling infantalised, a subplot that just sort of stops.
Trevor's attempts to deal with slimer.

That's fine, but I'm talking about character arcs and plot threads from the same film. None of these things feel like teasers, they feel like Frankensteined scripts and editing suite butchery. I enjoyed Winston's lab though, I'm a sucker for a monster zoo and this was very literally that.

Trevor as a character has gone nowhere since he was introduced in Afterlife. Why cast Finn Wolfhard to just...not use him much?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
He was very much the hot property in 80's nostalgia when Afterlife was casting, that's it I think.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remember wondering when back it was announced if Finn’s casting came first and they worked backwards from it. Like “what if we got the Stranger Things kid? He could be Egon’s grandson or something!” and then the rest of plot came from that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

I remember wondering when back it was announced if Finn’s casting came first and they worked backwards from it. Like “what if we got the Stranger Things kid? He could be Egon’s grandson or something!” and then the rest of plot came from that.

Even Finn didn't think he was going to get the part after dressing up as whichever Ghostbuster in Stranger Things.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

roffels posted:

Phoebe cuts up the firepole to bronze the proton pack. Kumail uses the pole a minute later.

It really feels like 20 minutes is missing from the end or something.

While I did notice that there are two firepoles in the firehouse, so while the editing isn't great on that, I imagine she took it from the one Kumail didn't go down later

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

While I did notice that there are two firepoles in the firehouse, so while the editing isn't great on that, I imagine she took it from the one Kumail didn't go down later

If Ghostbusters Spirits Unleashed is accurate, there are indeed two poles.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If Ghostbusters Spirits Unleashed is accurate, there are indeed two poles.

In the classic "We got one!!" scene you can see that there's at least 3 poles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXMcbhn6Np0

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Yeah, I reasoned that there was more than one pole, and the brass on brass gag was my only actual laugh (or snort of amusement, maybe).

Why Peter was wearing sunglasses for one shot, however, is still a mystery.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Bill Murray doing Bill Murray things I guess.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Bill Murray doing Bill Murray things I guess.

Yeah, expect so, but any rationale or bit he was doing got lost in the edit due to the sheer amount of incident and characters.

I kind of liked him finding the old bottle of booze - that felt like a Venkman bit, but also off in a way I can't really articulate.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Disco Pope posted:

I kind of liked him finding the old bottle of booze - that felt like a Venkman bit, but also off in a way I can't really articulate.

Why would Venkman even bother hiding booze in the first place? In the first film he and Ray were openly chugging down booze all the time - he was swilling from a bottle during the entire "Call it fate, call it luck, call it karma" speech, they were drinking Buds during the "this magnificent feast here represents the last of the petty cash" scene, his immediate reaction when they thought they neutronized Gozer was "It's Miller time!", etc etc

The idea that he'd be sneakily hiding booze around the firehouse doesn't fit his character, he's way too brazen

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Why would Venkman even bother hiding booze in the first place? In the first film he and Ray were openly chugging down booze all the time - he was swilling from a bottle during the entire "Call it fate, call it luck, call it karma" speech, they were drinking Buds during the "this magnificent feast here represents the last of the petty cash" scene, his immediate reaction when they thought they neutronized Gozer was "It's Miller time!", etc etc

The idea that he'd be sneakily hiding booze around the firehouse doesn't fit his character, he's way too brazen

Yeah, you're right - he could have pulled a bottle out of his coat and it would have worked just as well. Not sure how that would gel with the current Ghostbusters though; the line about Ray quitting smoking was cringe-worthy.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

It's possible he could have changed in the past 40 years. :shrug:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I didn't really read it as him hiding the booze so much as the booze being where he last put it. More of a "AHA, Still there baby" than a "Oh good nobody found it"

Is it a weird place to store the booze? Yes. But Venkmen seems the type to just have random places he keeps a drink for ease of access.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

The Merkinman posted:

It's possible he could have changed in the past 40 years. :shrug:

Well, without evidencing or signalling that on screen in any way, we'll just have to assume it was a sloppy bit in a movie overflowing with them.

Others:

RLM highlighted this one, but why is Phoebe, ostensibly the smart one, firing a proton stream at the sewer dragon when it clearly doesn't hold it in place. Just fly the drone under it?

It also feels like the library ghost scene was incredibly truncated - Ray freaks out and then nothing? I actually kind of expected the library ghost to be their dead languages expert.

To be more positive and to stress that I had some fun with this, the cold (lol) open had some cool, genuinely creepy imagery and being a bit creepy has been missing since at least GB2. The hand on the grammophone crank was surprisingly gnarly for a 12A.

I genuinely think the set-design in this is good. The Firehouse did feel lived in, and the aquarium was suitably grungy. Hell, even the brief vape shop scene, Kamil's apartment, the diner and any night-time scenes with Phoebe and Melody felt "New York-y" in a grungy/romantic way that worked for me as someone who only knows the city from movies and comics.

Basically, some of it, like the library under the library (which is kind of confusing in some ways, but nevermind) , invoked that idea of there being an old-city underneath and overlapping with New York and intersecting with something even older, which feels very Ghostbusters to me.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 25, 2024

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Looking at the collage images on social media there are so many scenes across the trailers that weren't in the movie I hope they are included on the physical release, preferably a director's cut but even just deleted scenes extras would be nice. Even though I was really bummed after seeing FE I am a completionist physical media collector and I figured if I have all the other GB 4K steels I should pick this one up, the art is nice too:

Still annoyed Afterlife is the only one that never got a nice art steel, even 2016 did.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Really wish we could have seen Ray and Venkman in the Ecto C in their prime, Venkman's face would have been WONDERFUL

Also, I can totally imagine Venkman stashing a bottle of brandy in a random place on his way out of the Firehouse for the last time. It's not bad or weird writing if you can't

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

If I have a nitpick I keep thinking about is the sewer dragon just isn't interesting as a ghost to me. Every other ghost seems to be cool or interesting, but I just feel nothing towards the design or actions of the dragon. Just feels like it needed a few design revamps, or to have just been a different creature all together.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

If I have a nitpick I keep thinking about is the sewer dragon just isn't interesting as a ghost to me. Every other ghost seems to be cool or interesting, but I just feel nothing towards the design or actions of the dragon. Just feels like it needed a few design revamps, or to have just been a different creature all together.

Yeah, the ghost-zoo on this isn't *that* interesting - like the first film gave us the library ghost, devil dogs, Onionhead, taxi zombie and a couple of others. GB2 had stuff like the jogger ghost and the Titanic, but we seem to have largely settled on vague blobs for the new ghosts.

It again feels a bit like something from another draft - maybe it was haunting Chinatown or something?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

Also, I can totally imagine Venkman stashing a bottle of brandy in a random place on his way out of the Firehouse for the last time. It's not bad or weird writing if you can't

There's legitimately a lot of reasons you might stash a bottle of booze that aren't exclusively "I'm ashamed to drink in front of my coworkers":

- you were hiding something top shelf from the other alkies
- Dana came in and you didn't want her to know you were drinking on the job
- bills were due and you didn't want to be chewed out for buying booze while money was tight
- alternatively, cash was flowing but you remember a time when it wasn't so you squirrel stuff away just in case the bad times come again

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Disco Pope posted:

It again feels a bit like something from another draft - maybe it was haunting Chinatown or something?

I've seen this complaint come up quite a bit, also people saying it feels like multiple scripts mashed together, but to my knowledge, there were only ever two real scripts: One that had Venkman, and one that didn't.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guy A. Person posted:

There's legitimately a lot of reasons you might stash a bottle of booze that aren't exclusively "I'm ashamed to drink in front of my coworkers":

- you were hiding something top shelf from the other alkies
- Dana came in and you didn't want her to know you were drinking on the job
- bills were due and you didn't want to be chewed out for buying booze while money was tight
- alternatively, cash was flowing but you remember a time when it wasn't so you squirrel stuff away just in case the bad times come again

There's only one reason why any Ghostbuster is hiding food and drink around the firehouse. Slimer.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Timby posted:

I've seen this complaint come up quite a bit, also people saying it feels like multiple scripts mashed together, but to my knowledge, there were only ever two real scripts: One that had Venkman, and one that didn't.

Judging by what made it to screen, those scripts couldn't have been radically different.

Lobok posted:

There's only one reason why any Ghostbuster is hiding food and drink around the firehouse. Slimer.

I wouldn't have minded a Venkman / Slimer encounter - even if it was just him walking in on Finn Wolfhard after being slimed, "first time?"

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

roffels posted:

I wouldn't have minded a Venkman / Slimer encounter - even if it was just him walking in on Finn Wolfhard after being slimed, "first time?"

That would have been very cool and very on brand too tbh. A missed opportunity for sure.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

roffels posted:

Judging by what made it to screen, those scripts couldn't have been radically different.

The idea of Venkmen just kind of casually rockin up to the firehouse whenever he sees fit, even with the Spenglers living there is amusing to me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The idea of Venkmen just kind of casually rockin up to the firehouse whenever he sees fit, even with the Spenglers living there is amusing to me.

As a creature of the 80's, Venkman is prime sitcom wacky neighbor material.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Maybe he could have pulled a bottle of sedatives out of the wall instead, although I guess nothing he could give would be as powerful as this film's middle-third.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Disco Pope posted:

Maybe he could have pulled a bottle of sedatives out of the wall instead, although I guess nothing he could give would be as powerful as this film's middle-third.

"Middle third"? Do you mean second act?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Alan_Shore posted:

"Middle third"? Do you mean second act?

Lmao, okay, Shakespeare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Disco Pope posted: