Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Sorry, I'm goofing around. Yeah, the second act I guess, but there's a general real grind in the middle of the film, maybe even stretching into the first act, just due to the weight of the amount of balls it has in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The weirdest thing is given the amount of emphasis that has been put on Murray being in this one there is definitely one scene with him in that was in the trailer but cut from the final version, you'd think they'd just be cramming every usable second of him they had in.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I saw it, I saw it, I saw it.

Thoughts!

Now, I did watch it from a cam rip online, so it was almost like the 2024 version of watching scrambled cable. Almost. But I only did that because I wanted to check if it would be too scary for my 6 year old when we're planning on going to see it in IMAX in a couple weeks, and also I'm impatient as gently caress. Despite it being a rip, I saw and heard pretty much everything fine.

- I didn't mind Lucky and Podcast being there nearly as much as I thought I would. Having both experiences the last fight against Gozer, I can understand why Lucky applied to be an intern at Winston's place and that Podcast (what is that character's actual name?!) would follow Ray.

- jfc, Peter just disappeared after his one scene, until the very end. And yes, he should've had a verbal reunion spar with Peck.

- did the vape store guy just loving die? :stare:

- I got major T-1000 vibes as Garakka (Garraka?) went looking for the fire master or whoever he was.

- Kumail was great, though the suit of armour at the end was kind of silly.

- laughed out loud at "I was proud of you then, and I'm proud of you now"

- the ghost that Phoebe meets in the park felt weirdly.... I don't know, casual? I don't expect Phoebe to be scared, but it was as if it was just some quirky girl who just showed up? Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

- Phoebe was great, McKenna Grace once again doing a fantastic job, excellent.

- I liked the Gary/dad stuff :shrug:

- yay GB2 reference

- loving IGN has an article about how they wish the Ghostbusters would go back to doing actual jobs. Motherfuckers, did you watch the same movie I did? The first movie, you hear the bell ONCE, and not at all in GB2. I heard it like 3-4 times in this one. Them being 'on the job' was most of the movie, so :wtc: The ending scene is literally them going out on a job because duty calls. The opening scene is them mid-job!

- very much a huge RGB episode.

- a lot of characters, but.... so? I felt it worked.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 26, 2024

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Does grown up Oscar ever show up in these?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

Oscar died on the way back to his home planet.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

Oscar died on the way back to his home planet.

Trigger warning: big sadness.

One of the twins who played him killed himself while suffering from schizoaffective disorder.
:cry:

deoju fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 27, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
quote is not edit

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
quote is still not edit.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Saw the movie. Not perfect and stupid at times, but overall an enjoyable watch.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

ruddiger posted:

No, he's off somewhere living a happy, normal and unpossessed life. The source of this is Egon's Journal from the Hasbro HASLAB Proton Pack bonus unlocks.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I saw it, I saw it, I saw it.

Thoughts!

Now, I did watch it from a cam rip online, so it was almost like the 2024 version of watching scrambled cable. Almost. But I only did that because I wanted to check if it would be too scary for my 6 year old when we're planning on going to see it in IMAX in a couple weeks, and also I'm impatient as gently caress. Despite it being a rip, I saw and heard pretty much everything fine.

- I didn't mind Lucky and Podcast being there nearly as much as I thought I would. Having both experiences the last fight against Gozer, I can understand why Lucky applied to be an intern at Winston's place and that Podcast (what is that character's actual name?!) would follow Ray.

- jfc, Peter just disappeared after his one scene, until the very end. And yes, he should've had a verbal reunion spar with Peck.

- did the vape store guy just loving die? :stare:

- I got major T-1000 vibes as Garakka (Garraka?) went looking for the fire master or whoever he was.

- Kumail was great, though the suit of armour at the end was kind of silly.

- laughed out loud at "I was proud of you then, and I'm proud of you now"

- the ghost that Phoebe meets in the park felt weirdly.... I don't know, casual? I don't expect Phoebe to be scared, but it was as if it was just some quirky girl who just showed up? Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

- Phoebe was great, McKenna Grace once again doing a fantastic job, excellent.

- I liked the Gary/dad stuff :shrug:

- yay GB2 reference

- loving IGN has an article about how they wish the Ghostbusters would go back to doing actual jobs. Motherfuckers, did you watch the same movie I did? The first movie, you hear the bell ONCE, and not at all in GB2. I heard it like 3-4 times in this one. Them being 'on the job' was most of the movie, so :wtc: The ending scene is literally them going out on a job because duty calls. The opening scene is them mid-job!

- very much a huge RGB episode.

- a lot of characters, but.... so? I felt it worked.

I had to look up that IGN article, because you're right, you do hear the bell go off in this more than any other live action GB property.

I think what's really being mourned is the idea of the Ghostbusters being working-class (or working-class coded, they're academic professionals, but working as exterminators or contractors) when that doesn't really come up in this - they have a wealthy sponsor. They have problems with the firehouse or Ecto-1, but they dont seem to be the result of low funds. It's actually quite a turnaround from some of the more interesting stuff that Afterlife hints at, with the Spenglers being poor and a bit dysfunctional at the films outset.

One key reason this perhaps feels more reminiscent of RGB is that the bell-ringing is more of an "Avengers Assemble" call than a call to punch the clock. They're superheroes now. Phoebe is a true believer and the lynchpin of the Spengler family, but that doesn't translate to the Ghostbusters - infact, the motivation for being Ghostbusters for most of them is kind of unclear to me. They're not scientists, nerds, grifters or willing to believe anything with a steady-paycheck.

The closest we get to a scene where they're presented as working stiffs Phoebe and Podcast are called to the Melody Diner, and break the window, but its really just there to further the Melody/Phoebe plot. I mean, poo poo, compare that to the Sedgewick Hotel sequence.. Also, the motivation is completely different - she's not a kid with a part-time job killing roaches, she's Robin sneaking out after being benched by Batman.

Like any fan of the first film (and RGB and the second film when I was a kid), I'd spent most of 30 years fantasing about Ghostbusters III. When I was little, that would be about bigger threats and more gadgets. And I still appreciate those, but even as a sequel to Afterlife with a new generation, why not move Phoebe to New York, because she's invested. The rest of the family could be there, but they're not Ghostbusters and only cameo/set things up. Throw in 2-3 other socially maladapt weirdos. Have the original 3 in brief mentor roles.

EDIT: In short, IGN are right - the isn't that they don't bust ghosts (they do), the issue is that their motivations for doing so are really unclear and really far-removed from the Schlubby janitors of the first film.

2016 had more of that element, and in that respect, the cast and director make a lot of sense coming off of Bridesmaids, but I don't think they ever feel like pest-control in that - they always feel like scientists and people with an interest in the supernatural.

It's a difficult balance, and I can't think of many franchises that get it right. I think Evil Dead generally has, but its had the good sense to move away from Ash even though spin-offs like comics and games seem to think he's an action hero. My favourite Spider-Man media gets it and leans into the "friendly neighbourhood" part. Maybe Die Hard has hints of it. Is Shaun of the Dead the last thing that got both the horror and comedy right, with a character who isn't incompetent, but doesn't want to be there?

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 27, 2024

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

ruddiger posted:

Oscar stepped on a church and was vaporized by Venkman in 1997

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Just got in from a 19:45 showing. Turned up about 15 minutes before start time and was the only one in there, and the screen ended up being about 25% full. Solid 7/10 B/B- from me. Plenty of genuinely terrible, eye-rolling gags that are right up my street, McKenna Grace is going to be a star, no bad performances and I secretly wish James Acaster had done a riff on his "What's the matter, too challenging for ya?" stand up routine. Having said that, yes, the second act starts to drag once they get out of the Library until Acaster turns up with the van of gear. So many characters doing so many things, and it's a shame because the first half positively whips along at almost too frantic a pace. Hoping there's going to be some sort of directors cut which either fleshes out that second act or streamlines it, one or the other

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
GB:FE had an opening weekend of $45 million domestic, pretty much exactly the same as GB:AL and GB2016
https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Ghostbusters#tab=summary

It's on track to be a moderate success

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That's good, that's basically what it deserves.

Just give us old man Ghostbusters for GOD'S sake.

Or the Seth Rogan one.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

That's good, that's basically what it deserves.

Just give us old man Ghostbusters for GOD'S sake.

Or the Seth Rogan one.

Good Lord, I don't want either of those things.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Tarantino should do Ghostbusters.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Good Lord, I don't want either of those things.

What Ghostbusters movie would you want? You get zero points for saying "I don't want one!"

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

God no

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

What Ghostbusters movie would you want? You get zero points for saying "I don't want one!"

I think that they have the bones of a good one already here, they just need to trim the fat and replace it with some genuine laughs.

Paul Rudd, Carrie Coon, Kumail Nanjiania and McKenna Grace are a great selection for the core team going forward. Keep the other Ghostbusters employees around, including the legacy characters. Get rid of Finn Wolfhard and the other child characters that they clearly don't know what to do with.

Remove some of the heart and internal motivations which these films keep leaning on, and replace it with external motivations and some genuine bite about being a worker in modern day America or something similarly more in tune with the original.

Get rid of a lot of the 'world building' and exposition. The original film accomplished with a handful of lines what this film felt the need to have an animated sequence for.

Any time you save cutting all that dead weight of the extraneous characters and exposition isn't used to make the film shorter, but to make it funnier. Get some loving comedy writers to look over the script and help out if need be.

But I don't want to see the old guys given the full weight of a film, it's clear that they can't carry that anymore and it would just be sad to watch, and I feel like Rogan and his style of humor and directing meshes even worse with Ghostbusters than what we have now does.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just want Dan to get another ghost blowie :(

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Alan_Shore posted:

Another movie with working-class anxieties.

Convenient app-based / gig economy ghost exterminators economically threaten the viability of the Ghostbusters, and tie it in to whatever supernatural bullshit that's happening.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

and I feel like Rogan and his style of humor and directing meshes even worse with Ghostbusters than what we have now does.

Agreed. Improv ruined the 2016 movie, I doubt “improv but this time more stoner comedy” saves any future iteration

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

Agreed. Improv ruined the 2016 movie, I doubt “improv but this time more stoner comedy” saves any future iteration

I think that's unfair to Rogen, who's proven himself to be a good actor. Also, I mean, if you look at the films Murray and Ackroyd were in before Ghostbusters, denigrating stoner comedy actors doesn't really make a lot of sense. Imagine having actors from Meatballs in a Ghostbusters movie!

Guy A. Person posted:

There was improv in Ghostbusters, it was just worked out before hand. The problem with 2016 GB was not improv, it was the director throwing out the whole script. The Rogen crew have made a bunch of well-scripted movies, I 100% trust they wouldn't point a camera at 2 actors and spew out a bunch of ghost cum jokes.

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 28, 2024

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

fair points but did you need to double tap me goddamn

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Werner Herzog should do Ghostbusters.

Him or David Cronenberg.

Hell, why not have them both co-direct.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Seth Rogen gave us TMNT Mutant Mayhem, so he’s got a pass for the time being.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

God no

I'd like to see a Ghostbusters movie that is entirely its own thing. No cameos, no constant callbacks, no Stay Puff or Slimer. A self-contained story with a new cast who can focus on milking the basic premise ('what if exterminators were ghost hunters') for comedy instead of trying to make me feel goddamn reverent over a proton pack.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

fair points but did you need to double tap me goddamn

Haha my apologies

ImpAtom posted:

I'd like to see a Ghostbusters movie that is entirely its own thing. No cameos, no constant callbacks, no Stay Puff or Slimer. A self-contained story with a new cast who can focus on milking the basic premise ('what if exterminators were ghost hunters') for comedy instead of trying to make me feel goddamn reverent over a proton pack.

And what if they were all women? :lemonho:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Haha my apologies

And what if they were all women? :lemonho:

That would be 100% fine. I would say at least no small portion of the problem with 2016 is that it had the constant cameos and loving Stay Puff and the desperate need to Live Up To The Ghostbusters Name.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

That would be 100% fine. I would say at least no small portion of the problem with 2016 is that it had the constant cameos and loving Stay Puff and the desperate need to Live Up To The Ghostbusters Name.

Constant cameos? I'm struggling to remember, but you had Bill Murray for 1 minute, a statue of Egon that was blink and you miss it, and Sigourney Weaver for 30 seconds, right? Stay Puft balloon was the least of that movie's problems, as has been discussed to death.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Constant cameos? I'm struggling to remember, but you had Bill Murray for 1 minute, a statue of Egon that was blink and you miss it, and Sigourney Weaver for 30 seconds, right? Stay Puft balloon was the least of that movie's problems, as has been discussed to death.

Nope. You had Anne Potts, Dan Ackroyd, Ernie Hudson, The Scolari Brothers callback, the Firehouse, Slimer, Stay-Puff, the main villain looking like the Ghostbusters logo, probably other poo poo I'm forgetting. It was constant.

Like Dan Ackroyd driving a cab and making sure you know he 'ain't afraid of no ghosts" poo poo. Nobody needs that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

Haha my apologies

No sweat

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. You had Anne Potts, Dan Ackroyd, Ernie Hudson, The Scolari Brothers callback, the Firehouse, Slimer, Stay-Puff, the main villain looking like the Ghostbusters logo, probably other poo poo I'm forgetting. It was constant.

Like Dan Ackroyd driving a cab and making sure you know he 'ain't afraid of no ghosts" poo poo. Nobody needs that.

I don't think I caught the Scolari Brothers but yeah a bunch of the cameos were either embarrassing or just gratuitous. Hudson's was probably the best as Patty's uncle who provided the hearse, but knowing that Bill Murray had been single handedly preventing any Ghostbusters sequels from getting off the ground for decades and then making him the obnoxious cynic who dies was weird and seemed like an awkward meta-joke that just falls flat.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I kinda liked the line by line response. Brought me back to 1995 newsgroups. Now somebody needs to post a 15 paragraph analysis of the latest episode of the X-Files and how it ties into the ongoing mythology, and the feeling will be complete.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I would like a Ghostbusters movie that is entertaining on its own, like the film Ghostbusters (1984).

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
And just how would you connect with your children then, blasphemer?!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harold Ramis being dead means there can't be another good Ghostbusters movie. They had their shot with 2 and blew it by being safe.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

drat I blocked out a lot of poo poo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alan_Shore posted:

There was improv in Ghostbusters, it was just worked out before hand.

Very, very little. Comparing the shooting script to the actual finished movie, I'd say about 98 percent of it is on the page. It's become a sort of urban legend that Murray and Moranis were mostly freestyling their way through the movie, but that just isn't true. The most notable bit of improv is Moranis in the firehouse basement basically just being in his own little movie while Peck, Egon and Venkman are having their slapfight.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's a world of difference between the sort of improv where you have the framework of the scene established and then you can do little improv flourishes off that, and the sort of improv where you basically just plop your cast down around a table and tell them to riff for ten minutes about random poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

There's a world of difference between the sort of improv where you have the framework of the scene established and then you can do little improv flourishes off that, and the sort of improv where you basically just plop your cast down around a table and tell them to riff for ten minutes about random poo poo.

And I've said this before but I'm like 90% certain they used improv takes in spots of the 2016 movie where it either derails or supplants actual plot beats. Like the extended riffing on Patrick Swayze movies happens right around the mid-point and at a high tension moment where it seems like they may have cut out a subplot where Erin has a falling out and leaves the team (they have an emotional reunion prior to the climax that doesn't seem connected to anything, like she went home for the day then comes back and they all embrace).

It's equally possible they just cut the conflict subplot for time but then keeping in the Swayze bits is even more of a weird time suck.