Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Anybody interested in Ghostbusters-like movies should check out Peter Jackson's Frighteners and Ivan Reitman's Evolution. The latter has aliens instead of ghosts, but there's spiritual overlap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Evolution is underrated imo, but there are some gags they absolutely run into the ground

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah the similarity has been discussed before

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Their character arcs occur externally and not internally, like any good power fantasy movie. Peter Venkman's "arc" is almost exactly the same as John McClane's arc in Die Hard:

- The guy everyone wrote off as a smug smartass loser is hailed by the entire city as a hero and proven to be Right All Along
- The smart & successful frizzy haired woman he'd been horndogging after the entire time finally realises that he's actually perfect exactly as he is and she totally wants to bone him now
- The hero's foil (an uptight guy in a suit & tie who goes by the book and desperately wants to tear down the hero because he's a devilmaycare risktaker) is shown to be an idiot for not letting the hero just get on with it and therefore was Wrong All Along (Walter Peck/Richard Thornburg)
- All the authority figures were shown to be too incompetent to handle the villain's intricate scheme and the hero was the only one smart enough to figure it out, and the only one crazy enough to do what it takes to save the day

There's also a whole bunch of related iconography between the two movies (John's movement of pulling the hidden gun from behind his back is pretty much the same movement as the GBs pulling their proton wands, both movies end with the hero teetering on the edge of a skyscraper which blows up and rains debris over everyone below, Stay Puft roaring as the GBs shoot him is in almost the same pose and framed from almost the same angle as Hans Gruber looking up at John and Holly as he falls, both movies end with the black sidekick getting the final line and everyone piling into a beat up stretched car and driving off through the chaos) but whether you want to read much into that is up to you.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

On a hunch I went and checked through Reitman's 2001 film Evolution and it almost exactly fits this meter except the "smart & successful woman [who] he'd been horndogging after the entire time finally realises that he's actually perfect exactly as he is and she totally wants to bone him now" has straight hair, not frizzy hair. :v:

Also I forgot the soundtrack featured Powerman 5000, I'm guessing they wanted Limp Bizkit but didn't have the budget?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Not to mention Walter Peck, Vigo, and the jail cop (CARL!) are all in Die Hard. I feel like there's another incidental crossover, but I can't place it.

Before I saw Die Hard, I just thought it was weird that both Jack Hardemeyer and the psychic ward doctor were both in Wayne's World.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That doctor is Bryan Doyle Murray, one of Bill's brothers. He's also in Caddy Shack.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

deoju posted:

That doctor is Bryan Doyle Murray, one of Bill's brothers. He's also in Caddy Shack.

And Groundhog Day.

He's not in Scrooged but Joel Murray and John Murray are, where weirdly only one of them plays Bill's brother.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Oh, yeah.

He also voices the mayor in the Ghostbusters video game now that I think about it.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

roffels posted:

Another movie with working-class anxieties.

Convenient app-based / gig economy ghost exterminators economically threaten the viability of the Ghostbusters, and tie it in to whatever supernatural bullshit that's happening.

I like this idea. gently caress, can you imagine if we had an actually woke Ghostbusters though? That said, Joker has some class consciousness and chuds loved it. And it's important to note that Ghostbusters was very libertarian.

If this franchise continues, I think all the pieces are in place for a quieter, more confident and hopefully funny sequel with the torch well and truly passed. I don't think we'll get that though, instead we'll get a retread of GB2 where the statue of liberty literally offers its torch to the new team and everyone cheers.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

RLM are right though: kids suck. As much as I like Pheobe I don't need to see kids holding Proton packs, it's very close to Wesley Crusher syndrome (thank goodness the smart child saved us! Wait why does everyone hate the child now?).

Basically all the movies this thread wants won't happen because GB is literally now a family movie. Everything must be about the family.

Also I rewatched The Frighteners a few years ago and it was very disappointing! I remember nothing about it which is so a bad sign

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

having also felt alienated from the last couple of films, I'd gladly go for following some completely new character and their struggles to organize a Ghostbusters' Union while also dealing with their paranatural day-to-day

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Guy A. Person posted:

And I've said this before but I'm like 90% certain they used improv takes in spots of the 2016 movie where it either derails or supplants actual plot beats. Like the extended riffing on Patrick Swayze movies happens right around the mid-point and at a high tension moment where it seems like they may have cut out a subplot where Erin has a falling out and leaves the team (they have an emotional reunion prior to the climax that doesn't seem connected to anything, like she went home for the day then comes back and they all embrace).

It's equally possible they just cut the conflict subplot for time but then keeping in the Swayze bits is even more of a weird time suck.

The extended cut on Blu-ray covers this. Erin gets into a fight with Abby and leaves the team.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I feel like if there was a Ghostbusters Union it would inevitably lead to that scene from Anchorman...

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Tarantino should do Ghostbusters.

"Choose the form of your destructor!"

*Giant disembodied foot appears*

"Ray, what did you do?"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gnome de plume posted:

"Choose the form of your destructor!"

*Giant disembodied foot appears*

"Ray, what did you do?"

"Nobody steps on a church in my town without also stepping on me!"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

deoju posted:

Yeah, I know. I was just referring to them all as their characters.

"He's Mr Shirley, and if I had a rubber hose, mister, I would beat him-... "

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Guy A. Person posted:

And I've said this before but I'm like 90% certain they used improv takes in spots of the 2016 movie where it either derails or supplants actual plot beats. Like the extended riffing on Patrick Swayze movies happens right around the mid-point and at a high tension moment where it seems like they may have cut out a subplot where Erin has a falling out and leaves the team (they have an emotional reunion prior to the climax that doesn't seem connected to anything, like she went home for the day then comes back and they all embrace).

It's equally possible they just cut the conflict subplot for time but then keeping in the Swayze bits is even more of a weird time suck.

Plenty of time for multiple wonton soup jokes though! Gotta keep those in the picture.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
this is the second movie kumail uses firearms without weapons

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Tarantino should do Ghostbusters.

after everything said in Quiet on Set and you still think this

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What does that have to do with Dan Schneider

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm actually at a loss who I'd ask if we were fan-casting directors. Definitely not Tarantino. Honestly, I think it might be done. One pivotal pop-cultural touchstone that became a reference point for both comedy and horror for decades and four films that range from bad to okay. Some good cartoons and comics and a couple of better than they should have been video games.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Humour and some horror? I'm going Raimi, easy.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Lobok posted:

Oh gently caress a Sam Raimi Ghostbusters? Holy poo poo that would be amazing!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I thought about Raimi. I loving love him, but I don't think his slapstick sensibility is quite right for Ghostbusters, even if there is some physical comedy in there. I laugh every time that cigarette sticks to Ray's lip. Also, he's done his share of relatively toned down franchise work at Disney and Marvel, so there's no guarantee he'd bring his A-Game. The Ecto-1 would become a yellow Oldsmobile, which I would have mixed feelings about. I'll take Bruce Campbell as a disgruntled client though!

At one point, I might have said Edgar Wright, but he might be a little precious and referential.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
If the next Ghostbusters needs Bill Murray, then find someone he can't say 'no' to. That's right, Ghostbusters directed by Wes Anderson.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lobok posted:

Too earnest. Honestly couldn’t happen now but James Gunn could’ve done it. He can do the cynical bent well enough.

Or Jody Hill.

Seth Rogan directing could also work as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

If the next Ghostbusters needs Bill Murray, then find someone he can't say 'no' to. That's right, Ghostbusters directed by Wes Anderson.

The Coen Brothers.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Joe Dante

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Burying the Ex is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen so no. I can’t agree with that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Even Spielberg made 1942

Alternatively, I’d love to see a Guillermo Del Toro take on Ghostbusters

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah but Spielberg made that a long time ago. That was Joe Dante’s last movie. I think his days are done.

Honestly you know who I want to make the next GB movie? ackroyd. Idgaf what nonsense he wants to do. I’d rather have that than this new series

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Disco Pope posted:

I thought about Raimi. I loving love him, but I don't think his slapstick sensibility is quite right for Ghostbusters, even if there is some physical comedy in there. I laugh every time that cigarette sticks to Ray's lip. Also, he's done his share of relatively toned down franchise work at Disney and Marvel, so there's no guarantee he'd bring his A-Game. The Ecto-1 would become a yellow Oldsmobile, which I would have mixed feelings about. I'll take Bruce Campbell as a disgruntled client though!

I don't think with any pick we're getting another '84 but he's the one I'd most like to see a GB attempt from.

CelticPredator posted:

Honestly you know who I want to make the next GB movie? ackroyd. Idgaf what nonsense he wants to do. I’d rather have that than this new series

Do an animated anthology series with the basic premise that the Ghostbusters have been franchised out and so there's different locales and eras, and base the episodes around stuff from an unbridled Aykroyd as "idea guy."

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 29, 2024

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I do think that it would be interesting to see what would happen if Aykroyd was given carte blanche to make a Ghostbusters movie. Things could go completely off the rails but that would probably be entertaining in itself. He's only ever directed one movie though and it was over 30 years ago.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I do think that it would be interesting to see what would happen if Aykroyd was given carte blanche to make a Ghostbusters movie. Things could go completely off the rails but that would probably be entertaining in itself. He's only ever directed one movie though and it was over 30 years ago.

that one was Nothing But Trouble, right? That inclines me further to let him cook, frankly

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Nothing But Trouble owns.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The wikipedia page for Nothing But Trouble says that it was "largely panned, with criticism directed at its humor, screenplay, tone and direction. The tone was compared by critics to films such as Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Psycho, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre series and The Rocky Horror Picture Show".

So.... it was panned because it was similar to a bunch of iconic classics?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nothing But Trouble is not good at all.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The_Doctor posted:

Nothing But Trouble is not good at all.

No it's not but it is fascinatingly bizarre.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Timby posted:

The extended cut on Blu-ray covers this. Erin gets into a fight with Abby and leaves the team.

The extended cut wildly swung my opinion on the 2016 movie from what I originally saw in theatres. Things made at least a little more sense when character motivation and story beats actually existed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TealShark posted:

The extended cut wildly swung my opinion on the 2016 movie from what I originally saw in theatres. Things made at least a little more sense when character motivation and story beats actually existed.

Yeah, the cut on Blu-ray is about 20 minutes longer and restores some badly needed story to the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

8one6 posted:

No it's not but it is fascinatingly bizarre.

Yeah which is more than these new ghostbusters movies can even say. Let the man fuckin cook.