Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

The wikipedia page for Nothing But Trouble says that it was "largely panned, with criticism directed at its humor, screenplay, tone and direction. The tone was compared by critics to films such as Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Psycho, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre series and The Rocky Horror Picture Show".

So.... it was panned because it was similar to a bunch of iconic classics?

Maybe that paragraph would make more sense if the sentences were the other way round, because then it would imply a “but” rather than “because”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Taika Waititi would be my other directorial pick, but like a decade ago. poo poo, I think the team behind the first few seasons of the What We Do In the Shadows TV show could work. I could even see Ghostbusters working as a mockumentry.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Disco Pope posted:

I could even see Ghostbusters working as a mockumentry.

This is pretty much an idea I’ve been tapping away at for a couple of years now, so ssh! :ninja:

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Related to WWDITS, it has that spinoff Wellington Paranormal that's a mockumentary that follows Wellington police officers as they deal with paranormal disturbances. Though it's a bit more in the direction of a police show like Cops except with werewolves and ghosts and whatever.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That reminds me, Nick Frost had a show with a Ghostbusters-like premise, Truth Seekers on Amazon prime.

quote:

A team of part-time paranormal investigators use homemade gizmos to track the supernatural, sharing their adventures online. As their haunted stake outs become more terrifying they begin to uncover an unimaginable, apocalyptic conspiracy.

I started watching but didn't finish it, I can't remember why though.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
I think a big problem with the series is that they don't want to make a movie, they want to make a whole new franchise, with its own world and spinoffs in the future, and that is so much harder.
Just make one good thing and if you still have any good ideas after that, make another one, but i don't need a million copies of one thing. Big box office movies feel like KFC famous bowls now, just big piles of similar mush.
Like, when I was a kid having more than three sequels made a movie series a joke, no one outside of specific fandoms picked up a VHS box and said "Ooh, sequel number five! This looks amazing! None of the original cast, but they got Tara Reid AND John Saxon!"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I think a big problem with the series is that they don't want to make a movie, they want to make a whole new franchise, with its own world and spinoffs in the future, and that is so much harder.

That's the thing for me. Sony and Ghost Corps are so blatantly trying to chase that Marvel Cinematic Universe dragon, just as WB did with its DC movies, just as Paramount tried and is continuing to try with Star Trek, like Legendary is doing with the MonsterVerse, and even like Sony itself is doing with its continuously horribly botched Marvel adaptations.

Not every loving thing needs to be a gigantic franchise / universe. Ghostbusters was a comedy about four nuclear-powered con men accidentally stumbling rear end-backwards into saving the world, and even in that process one of them conjures the avatar of an elder god in the form of a 500-foot snack food mascot that then goes tear-assing around Manhattan, and then they destroy a Central Park high-rise while saving the world. Ghostbusters II mimicked that formula beat-for-beat. 2016, while misguided, at least tried to do its own thing, but was bogged down by the relentless cameos. Afterlife was a joyless exercise in nostalgic "tee-hee, do you recognize this" key-jangling, and while I haven't seen Frozen Empire yet, I have yet to watch a single bit of footage that makes me want to plunk down 25 bucks for myself and my fiancée to see it in a theater.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Timby posted:

That's the thing for me. Sony and Ghost Corps are so blatantly trying to chase that Marvel Cinematic Universe dragon, just as WB did with its DC movies, just as Paramount tried and is continuing to try with Star Trek, like Legendary is doing with the MonsterVerse, and even like Sony itself is doing with its continuously horribly botched Marvel adaptations.

Not every loving thing needs to be a gigantic franchise / universe. Ghostbusters was a comedy about four nuclear-powered con men accidentally stumbling rear end-backwards into saving the world, and even in that process one of them conjures the avatar of an elder god in the form of a 500-foot snack food mascot that then goes tear-assing around Manhattan, and then they destroy a Central Park high-rise while saving the world. Ghostbusters II mimicked that formula beat-for-beat. 2016, while misguided, at least tried to do its own thing, but was bogged down by the relentless cameos. Afterlife was a joyless exercise in nostalgic "tee-hee, do you recognize this" key-jangling, and while I haven't seen Frozen Empire yet, I have yet to watch a single bit of footage that makes me want to plunk down 25 bucks for myself and my fiancée to see it in a theater.

It's weird that no-one seems to have realised that that cinematic universe thing has only really worked out for Marvel, and even then the bubble seems to have burst. It's fashionable to poo poo on it now, but they did have momentum and some charm initially. Also, Marvel had like 50 years of shared universe experience to draw on.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Disco Pope posted:

It's weird that no-one seems to have realised that that cinematic universe thing has only really worked out for Marvel, and even then the bubble seems to have burst. It's fashionable to poo poo on it now, but they did have momentum and some charm initially. Also, Marvel had like 50 years of shared universe experience to draw on.

Yea it’s weird that nobody has understood that it’s not like you can do the same simple thing over and over. Marvel’s first run through was novel and got a lot of good will from some really great casting and the promise of these characters interacting in a fun way. Past Thanos the formula has broken down and you can’t put the cat back in the back to make things simpler once you have 100 different weirdos like the Eternals and Moon Knight running around making people’s eyes glaze over. The idea that DC or the Ninja Turtles or the Muppet extended universe is going to hit the lottery a second time going “oh hey these individuals are going to team up to fight a big scary guy! Again!!!” is really really shortsighted.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Monsterverse is the only cinematic universe that works.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

SatansOnion posted:

having also felt alienated from the last couple of films, I'd gladly go for following some completely new character and their struggles to organize a Ghostbusters' Union while also dealing with their paranatural day-to-day

Mike from RLM suggested this in their Afterlife review and said it should have been Ghostbusters franchises wanting to Unionise and CEO Venkman telling them to gently caress off, causing a strike and a world threatening problem to solve.

All studios want to replicate even a fraction of the brand power Marvel had a few years back, the vast majority of people turned up to the cinema to watch GOTG with no prior knowledge of the series purely because it was a Marvel film and at the time that was almost a guarantee it was good.

Ghostbusters is probably one of the strongest brands around right now in terms of die hard fanbase and merchandising opportunities, they really will merchandise anything. I saw $20 bags of coffee with slimer on the other day. The studio will absolutely run this poo poo into the ground. Ever since they worked out kids love it it's been a goldmine.

All we can do is hope for decent releases but be prepared for dumb stuff. This is why I said I hope there might be an opportunity to run one of these spinoffs if not the main series as a more solid horror effort. I always felt that the original worked because it is a horror film where everyone except the heroes play it straight and the heroes crack wise to avoid getting too scared.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Guy A. Person posted:

The idea that DC or the Ninja Turtles or the Muppet extended universe is going to hit the lottery a second time going “oh hey these individuals are going to team up to fight a big scary guy! Again!!!” is really really shortsighted.

Thirty years of middling results has almost scared Disney off of the Muppets, despite it being the best meta-commentary layup they ever stumbled their way into purchasing. Not getting Disney's Muppet Princesses and Disney's The Muppetvengers is a blessing.

At this point, every franchise is Space Jam.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
An occasional Space Jam is fun, but happening all the time is annoying. Everything can't be Super Smash Bros, some things should just be themselves.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Speaking of Space Jam, and studios putting out movie after movie, ironically Coyote vs Acme, an animated-live-action hybrid like Who Framed Roger Rabbit and, yes, Space Jam, might never see the light of day.

I very much want to see that.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Space Jam, you say?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Lobok posted:

And Groundhog Day.

He's not in Scrooged but Joel Murray and John Murray are, where weirdly only one of them plays Bill's brother.

Bryan Doyle is in Scrooged. He plays Frank Cross's (Bill Murray's) father in the 1950's.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Disco Pope posted:

There's a whole lot of horror film shared universes which didn't break box office records but quietly ambled along for years. There's the obvious ones like Freddy x Jason and Aliens v Predator but there's also:
- The Conjuring universe which has 8 or 10 movies so far (depending on how you count them) and has plenty more planned
- The Puppet Master/ Demonic Toys/ Dollman crossover universe
- The Ring/The Grudge crossover universe
- The Hong Kong Mr Vampire film series which had a bunch of spinoffs and even a crossover with the The Gods Must Be Crazy movies and a bunch of loosely related films such as Magic Cop and Musical Vampire

We've also got the Twisted Childhood Universe currently in production which is based on public domain childrends character but eeeeevil. So far they've made two "Winnie The Pooh .... but eeevil!!!" movies and have Bambi, Peter Pan and Pinocchio in the works and are working towards "Poohniverse: Monsters Assemble". I'm not expecting this franchise to set the world on fire.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OldSenileGuy posted:

Bryan Doyle is in Scrooged. He plays Frank Cross's (Bill Murray's) father in the 1950's.

Oh, duh. Can't believe I forgot that part.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lobok posted:

And Groundhog Day.

He's not in Scrooged but Joel Murray and John Murray are, where weirdly only one of them plays Bill's brother.

Bill, Brian, Joel ,and John also a a show on Comedy Central that lasted one season called "The Sweet Spot". Each ep was just them loving around golf course for an half hour

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
By far the biggest laugh in my theater was Patton Oswalt showing off his collection of rare wax cylinder recordings, "This one has Mary Todd Lincoln saying the F-Word!"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SolarFire2 posted:

By far the biggest laugh in my theater was Patton Oswalt showing off his collection of rare wax cylinder recordings, "This one has Mary Todd Lincoln saying the F-Word!"

That joke worked despite it sounding exactly like the kind of thing that would've been said in the reboot. I think it still would've been funny then, mind you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
After a very busy period, I finally saw FE, and had a blast! Some jokes, some cool ghosts, old GBs, new GBs, fun tech, expansion of the lore, and all wrapped up neatly! Honestly, more of this please. :toot:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The_Doctor posted:

After a very busy period, I finally saw FE, and had a blast! Some jokes, some cool ghosts, old GBs, new GBs, fun tech, expansion of the lore, and all wrapped up neatly! Honestly, more of this please. :toot:

Speaking of new tech what did the wrist thing that Janine suited up with actually do? Did she use it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of new tech what did the wrist thing that Janine suited up with actually do? Did she use it?

It was essentially the wrist/arm-mounted proton pack from the comics.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

This is a thread about ghosts, so let's have some necromancy!

Guy A. Person posted:

And torturing a dude who is potentially proving his purported scientific theory just for a laugh

I would just like to point out that every time Venkman throws a pen at Nadeem during their talk about him being pyrokinetic, the bunsen burner in the background flares up. It took him 40 years, but Venkman actually did prove his theory that negative reinforcement increases psychic ability.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I did not pick up on that, but that owns.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Haha that's brilliant

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Jedit posted:

This is a thread about ghosts, so let's have some necromancy!

I would just like to point out that every time Venkman throws a pen at Nadeem during their talk about him being pyrokinetic, the bunsen burner in the background flares up. It took him 40 years, but Venkman actually did prove his theory that negative reinforcement increases psychic ability.

He proved it in 84, he just didn't care.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

roffels posted:

Look he clearly had a really good chance of getting laid there

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

roffels posted:

No he didn't. As Dean Yeager accurately stated, his methods were sloppy and he was also not just falsifying results but ignoring data points.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Jedit posted:

No he didn't. As Dean Yeager accurately stated, his methods were sloppy and he was also not just falsifying results but ignoring data points.

What I love about that scene is it's the only one where Venkman doesn't have a witty retort or comeback. It's just "...I see."

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

deoju posted:

I picked up the burner's flame moving, but it wasn't until jedit's post that I connected the two

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Alan_Shore posted:

What I love about that scene is it's the only one where Venkman doesn't have a witty retort or comeback. It's just "...I see."

Dean Yeager's delivery of "You are a *poor* Scientist, Dr. Venkman" cut him to his core.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Since I've seen this movie more times than I've seen some of my blood relatives, I remember the Dean Yeager scene having a flow to it. There are a bunch of moments, but when he says, in an almost sing-song-y way "you have no place in this department....", that's the moment Ray has his camera taken away from around his neck. The way Yeager speeds up "this department" is somehow perfectly in line with the motion of Ray lifting the camera strap over his head.

I don't know, it's weird. When you're a little kid and you end up paying attention to the most random poo poo, you notice this inconsequential stuff, I guess.

Also, Yeager's speech and everything always sounded neat to me. I listen to his harsh consonants, the "you are a poor scientist, dr Venkman" like he's deflating not only their hopes, but also his words.

I have seen this movie a lot, especially as a kid. I have seemingly looked and listened for everything in every scene at this point.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 7, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

As a kid I always thought he said NADINE YEAGER!!!!

He says it so weird for it to be Hey dean Yeager but that’s just the ackroyd charm baby

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

As a kid I always thought he said NADINE YEAGER!!!!

He says it so weird for it to be Hey dean Yeager but that’s just the ackroyd charm baby

Welp, now I'm going to hear Nadine Yeager forever when watching that scene.

It's wild that the entirety of the Dean scene is literally one minute. I never noticed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_vHbFQRT3Y

Also, in case anyone hasn't seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2OlTbRy6_M

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 7, 2024

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

But the kids love us!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

deoju posted:

Yeah, the film has its flaws, but I think that's what that scene was trying to communicate, but it was also framed like it just a gag scene.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Further to my moment to moment 38 year long analysis of this movie, anyone else ever notice that, at the introduction to Dana as she gets out of her taxi ride, the two car horn honks are in time and not that dissonant against the score at that moment? Listening to the score on its own years later, I noticed I'd put in the honks, mentally, at that part.

(edit: it's at the 49 second mark here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0gublAUevo

Also, there are a bunch of moments near the end where the sound seems like it's doubled and I have no idea why this is, other than an editor mistake. I think the ending explosion is still doubled even after the other moments were seemingly fixed as newer prints were released.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah, the film has its flaws, but I think that's what that scene was trying to communicate, but it was also framed like it just a gag scene.

The film makes it VERY clear that's what's happening, like to the point I can't believe people didn't pick up on it.

I am begging, please stop making ghostbusters movies, these have all been awful.