Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

PneumonicBook posted:

The film makes it VERY clear that's what's happening, like to the point I can't believe people didn't pick up on it.

I am begging, please stop making ghostbusters movies, these have all been awful.
Keep posting like this and I'll be able to bend a spoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

deoju posted:

Keep posting like this and I'll be able to bend a spoon.

As long as you aren't buying proton packs and slapping ecto 1 stickers on your white civic

It's okay to dislike a thing that you are a fan of. Your years of loving ghostbusters isn't invalidated. You don't have to love product

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PneumonicBook posted:

As long as you aren't buying proton packs

I like my proton pack. :saddowns:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Jeez no one here loves Afterlife or Frozen Empire but describing them as "awful" is hilariously OTT. At worst, they are mid. 2016 is awful.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Alan_Shore posted:

Jeez no one here loves Afterlife or Frozen Empire but describing them as "awful" is hilariously OTT. At worst, they are mid. 2016 is awful.

2016 is better than frozen empire and probably afterlife but I'm not watching any of them again.

2016 understood that fundamentally Ghostbusters is a comedy, not a fantasy movie, not a broken family movie, etc. 2016 gets it, even though it's bad.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alan_Shore posted:

I like both Afterlife and Frozen Empire. I like Afterlife quite a bit, in fact.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alan_Shore posted:

On a scale of mid to cringe, our critic says it's so over.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I like both Afterlife and Frozen Empire. I like Afterlife quite a bit, in fact.

Me too, but do you LOVE them?

PneumonicBook posted:

2016 is better than frozen empire and probably afterlife but I'm not watching any of them again.

2016 understood that fundamentally Ghostbusters is a comedy, not a fantasy movie, not a broken family movie, etc. 2016 gets it, even though it's bad.

This is hosed, I have nothing to say about this at all lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alan_Shore posted:

I think Afterlife is legitimately awful and worse than 2016. The movie felt insulting to me in a way few have - the idea that I as a fan of the original film would want to gorge on this slop. Harold Ramis ghost come the gently caress on.

PneumonicBook posted:

I can't speak of Frozen Empire but that is a point in 2016's favor in relation to Afterlife.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I wouldn't care about the sloppy and ham-handed Ghostbusters Nostalgia Tour if it was actually funny, but it's not funny at all. I am all for filmmaker pandering - a lot of what get thrown around as "fanservice" is ill-conceived - but when every other element bends to "remember this thing? remember that thing?" it damages the film at the foundation, IMO.

On the other hand if you just want boxes ticked, yeah Afterlife is better than 2016. Neither are funny but "at least" Afterlife got the demon dogs, the OG busters, a possession, Gozer, Stay-Puft, etc. etc. etc. I personally would have given all that stuff up for actual jokes and funny stuff but alas, the billion dollar conglomerate and successful director did not consult me, a nobody, on the subject.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

GB:FE had an opening weekend of $45 million domestic, pretty much exactly the same as GB:AL and GB2016
https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Ghostbusters#tab=summary

It's on track to be a moderate success

Update on this: it dropped off pretty significantly in weeks 2 and 3 and is now performing worse than GB:AL and GB2016

It's not a flop but it's not doing great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Update on this: it dropped off pretty significantly in weeks 2 and 3 and is now performing worse than GB:AL and GB2016

It's not a flop but it's not doing great.

It bugs the poo poo out of me that chart doesn't label Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters (2016) more clearly

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

The film makes it VERY clear that's what's happening, like to the point I can't believe people didn't pick up on it.

I am begging, please stop making ghostbusters movies, these have all been awful.

Weird to come to the Ghostbusters thread to complain that all the Ghostbusters movies are awful.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Further to my moment to moment 38 year long analysis of this movie, anyone else ever notice that, at the introduction to Dana as she gets out of her taxi ride, the two car horn honks are in time and not that dissonant against the score at that moment?

Of course! Because she's a musician. In that track, even the ondes Martenot is trying to sound 'pretty', rather than, well, like the instrument we associate with wwwwwooooooo-eeeeeeeee scary wails, ha. Basically, that whole little intro is the movie briefly classing itself up.

Course, it wouldn't be the only time a car horn is used in conjunction with a GB score. I always loved the way the more frightening horn sound takes us into Parker's opening at the start of GB2. Actually, listen to that whole sequence, and you'll see (well, hear) that the sound crew had some fun making car noises play along with the music.

Icon-Cat fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 9, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alan_Shore posted:

I’d rather have a comedy reboot of a comedy franchise than a weepy nostalgic drama reboot of a comedy franchise

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

PneumonicBook posted:

As long as you aren't buying proton packs
I'd never buy one.

Building mine was way more fun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Icon-Cat posted:

Of course! Because she's a musician. In that track, even the ondes Martenot is trying to sound 'pretty', rather than, well, like the instrument we associate with wwwwwooooooo-eeeeeeeee scary wails, ha. Basically, that whole little intro is the movie briefly classing itself up.

Course, it wouldn't be the only time a car horn is used in conjunction with a GB score. I always loved the way the more frightening horn sound takes us into Parker's opening at the start of GB2. Actually, listen to that whole sequence, and you'll see (well, hear) that the sound crew had some fun making car noises play along with the music.

Yes! Exactly. You get it. I'm glad I'm not alone in this.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Weird to come to the Ghostbusters thread to complain that all the Ghostbusters movies are awful.

Nah, the first is an all-timer. And I liked 2 as a kid (I saw it before the original, so it was just like seeing the guys from my cartoon I liked). It's okay to feel let down by their fall from grace.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

Nobody who "gets" comedy opens their movie with 10 minutes of Gabe from The Office.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Sorry, I thought it was assumed that I meant all of the sequels. GB1 is really a great movie, every sequel after has been disappointing. At least they're disappointing in different ways I spose.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Nobody who "gets" comedy opens their movie with 10 minutes of Gabe from The Office.

yes they do.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

You could write a whole dissertation about why the opening to 2016 is dogshit and an indictment of modern movies compared to the simplicity and effectiveness of the original

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Bustin?

makes me feel good

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I don't even really remember him in Ghostbusters, but he's amazing in Avenue 5.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Alan_Shore posted:

You could write a whole dissertation about why the opening to 2016 is dogshit and an indictment of modern movies compared to the simplicity and effectiveness of the original

As much as I don't think that movie holds up (or was necessarily any good in the first place), I do think it set up what it was going for pretty well at the start. I remember relaxing when the gag with the guy with the same name as the ghost showed up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

AFewBricksShy posted:

I don't even really remember him in Ghostbusters, but he's amazing in Avenue 5.

He's so good as the avatar of chaos in Avenue 5 :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Is there a thread for the game Spirits Unleashed? I've been getting into it, and it's a lot of fun! Essentially it's the MP part of the 2009 game with better character creation.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Is there a thread for the game Spirits Unleashed? I've been getting into it, and it's a lot of fun! Essentially it's the MP part of the 2009 game with better character creation.

It is surprisingly fun.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s great for jumping on, quick 5-10 bust, back out again!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The_Doctor posted:

It’s great for jumping on, quick 5-10 bust, back out again!

That reminds me, say hi to your mother from me

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

BAZINGA

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Just FYI but Amazon Prime has Ghostbusters 2 for free rental, 30 days UHD. I was randomly looking for the original to put on in the background today ( also available to rent but it's like 50 cents) and found this option.

Seems like a promotional thing for the new movie so get them while you can, I guess.

All that to preface what I wanted to mention - I probably seen Ghostbusters 2 as many times as the original and never noticed that in the beginning when Egon and Dana are talking, she asks if Peter ever mentions her. Egon says no, but is scanning her while he says it and clearly checking the results.

I never noticed that he was using her as a test case for his negative emotion study, lmao. Another fabulous little piece that is easily missed

https://youtu.be/3Z3NWW3aMrs?si=8jtNw60O9m2o4xnQ

Right at the end of this clip .

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

McGann posted:

Just FYI but Amazon Prime has Ghostbusters 2 for free rental, 30 days UHD. I was randomly looking for the original to put on in the background today ( also available to rent but it's like 50 cents) and found this option.

Seems like a promotional thing for the new movie so get them while you can, I guess.

All that to preface what I wanted to mention - I probably seen Ghostbusters 2 as many times as the original and never noticed that in the beginning when Egon and Dana are talking, she asks if Peter ever mentions her. Egon says no, but is scanning her while he says it and clearly checking the results.

I never noticed that he was using her as a test case for his negative emotion study, lmao. Another fabulous little piece that is easily missed

Y'know, I always noticed him doing this, but because I'm stupid, never put it together that he's checking her for her emotional response.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
He also says, "try not to worry," because he doesn't want her mood to mess up his experiment.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

McGann posted:

Also, the character "Peter" the mention is a cool easter-egg and shout out to Peter Venkman, from The Real Ghostbusters.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I watched The Boogieman Cometh episode of The Real Ghostbusters and it absolutely rules and would have scared the ever loving poo poo out of six year old me when it was first broadcast

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It was drat creepy back then but less so by the end because they win and destroy him. Great episode, it's rare for a kids show to have the heroes go "let's nuke the poo poo out of the place".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I watched The Boogieman Cometh episode of The Real Ghostbusters and it absolutely rules and would have scared the ever loving poo poo out of six year old me when it was first broadcast

There were a couple of episodes that did that to me back in the day. “When Halloween Was Forever,” "Knock, Knock" and "Ragnarok and Roll" are a couple that come to mind. "The Grundle" too, and that might have been the last episode with Dave Coulier voicing Peter I really liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao no way there’s an episode called the grundle