Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CelticPredator posted:

Lmao no way there’s an episode called the grundle

There is indeed. One of the darker ones, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Dark grundles are the worst

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
There was even another one in Extreme Ghostbusters titled Grundelesque

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Dawgstar posted:

There were a couple of episodes that did that to me back in the day. “When Halloween Was Forever,” "Knock, Knock" and "Ragnarok and Roll" are a couple that come to mind. "The Grundle" too, and that might have been the last episode with Dave Coulier voicing Peter I really liked.

Ragnarok & Roll is great because the Ghostbusters really only help in the last two minutes, having tried almost everything and none of it works while Knock Knock has some incredibly dark imagery

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

I have been tempted to watch a few episodes as I never did as a kid. I listen to Caravan of Garbage discuss it and they were not as impressed with the series as many. Side note to anyone unfamiliar, it's called Caravan of garbage but they cover "good" things as well.

They're all available on YouTube as far as I'm aware, and it's got to be better background than "nazi town America" that I've got going currently..( good documentary but needs focus)

Edit lol and now I've googled Grundle and.. Welp. That's awkward.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

McGann posted:

I have been tempted to watch a few episodes as I never did as a kid. I listen to Caravan of Garbage discuss it and they were not as impressed with the series as many. Side note to anyone unfamiliar, it's called Caravan of garbage but they cover "good" things as well.

They're all available on YouTube as far as I'm aware, and it's got to be better background than "nazi town America" that I've got going currently..( good documentary but needs focus)

Edit lol and now I've googled Grundle and.. Welp. That's awkward.

The RGB show is definitely campy and either over the top or very simplified, depending on the specific plot, but overall I think a lot of it holds up. There are some plots there that'd make great feature films, and having watched Frozen Empire twice now, yes, it's very much a big long, live action episode.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The RGB show is definitely campy and either over the top or very simplified, depending on the specific plot, but overall I think a lot of it holds up. There are some plots there that'd make great feature films, and having watched Frozen Empire twice now, yes, it's very much a big long, live action episode.

I'm 10 minutes into the boogeyman cometh and it's already gotten one hearty laugh out of me.

Venkman : you want to explain why you're so hot on taking this case?

Egon : it's personal

Venkman : oh thank you egon that clears it right up

They got the Cadence of the character interactions down really well, I'm encouraged to see what a J Michael penned episode is like ( I'm a fan of his work usually)

Edit " in order to fool the boogeyman we need someone whose thoughts resemble that of a child"
(ray gets excited over a toy, everyone looks at him)

Yeah I can see these lines being read by the live-action characters, fantastic.

McGann fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 14, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

McGann posted:

Taken in its entirety, RGB does tilt towards not great, especially once you hit 'Slimer &' years. However the first two years, including the extra episodes made for syndication, are at least funny and some of them tilt towards great.

The rule of thumb is if it's Lorenzo Music playing Venkman, you're on solid ground but even that's not always the case as for some reason they went back and re-dubbed Venkman for some episodes when Dave Coulier came onboard and was just doing his not-very-good Bill Murray impression. It's also when they inched toward the guys not being very scared of things which does take away from attempts at being scary and then the show had its makeover by a terrible focus group and then it's just awful.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Knock Knock was written by JMS, and he does get the character's voices down pat. There's a scene in the middle where Ray explains what's going on to Peter that sounds like a riff on the jail scene from the movie, and there's a bit at the end where Egon explains how dangerous it is. There's also an episode where Janine asks Egon to implant Peter's brain into a chicken

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Slimer, while being fine in the original run, really is the Poochie of the show. Well, the scientist who keeps trying to catch him is.

I remember it being so weird how little focus there was on the guys during the show.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Even as a kid, I didn’t like Slimer.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Well, the point of the show was To Sell Toys, and in that respect, it worked like gangbusters (which is the whole reason Columbia wanted a Ghostbusters sequel in the first place).

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Taken in its entirety, RGB does tilt towards not great, especially once you hit 'Slimer &' years. However the first two years, including the extra episodes made for syndication, are at least funny and some of them tilt towards great.

The rule of thumb is if it's Lorenzo Music playing Venkman, you're on solid ground but even that's not always the case as for some reason they went back and re-dubbed Venkman for some episodes when Dave Coulier came onboard and was just doing his not-very-good Bill Murray impression. It's also when they inched toward the guys not being very scared of things which does take away from attempts at being scary and then the show had its makeover by a terrible focus group and then it's just awful.

Coulier wasn't even doing a Bill Murray impression per se — he was doing a really bad Carl from Caddyshack.

As a kid I didn't like that Venkman sounded just like Garfield at first, but boy I really wanted him to sound like Garfield again after Coulier came onto the show.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Splint Chesthair posted:

Coulier wasn't even doing a Bill Murray impression per se — he was doing a really bad Carl from Caddyshack.

As a kid I didn't like that Venkman sounded just like Garfield at first, but boy I really wanted him to sound like Garfield again after Coulier came onto the show.

That's fair on Carl thinking about it.

I liked Music as Garfield so I liked him as Peter and I do think in hindsight he got the tone and such down if not the voice, but then they famously didn't want people doing impressions of the cast which is why they went with Arsenio Hall over Actual Ernie Hudson. Hall apparently was convinced he wouldn't get the role since, you know, Hudson was right there. Maurice Lamarche was the exception to this rule because he went in going "Well, all I have is a Ramis impersonation" but they figured they could have the one.

It should be noted, I guess, that Buster Jones took over for Arsenio Hall I think around the time Coulier replaced Music and he was fine but his tenure was marked by that one consulting firm trying to hammer the guys into very specific roles so Winston became "the driver."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Coulier was fine to me. It was a cartoon so they had cartoon voices, and the show got even cartoonier as it was recast and Slimer took centre stage.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lobok posted:

Coulier was fine to me. It was a cartoon so they had cartoon voices, and the show got even cartoonier as it was recast and Slimer took centre stage.

If the later episodes were as good as the earlier episodes, I think the debate between Music and Coulier would be simply down to choice, but unfortunately for Dave, most of his time as Peter was as the show went downhill for unrelated reasons.

Also, I wish you could unlock and use the RGB score for Spirits Unleashed.

Whatever else you might think about the RGB, the score was absolutely fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl4ffHqItes

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Lobok posted:

I always felt bad about stuff like that as a kid, I felt like i outgrew some things i really enjoyed too fast, Particularly kids show voice acting. I remember one day sitting down to watch cartoons one sunday morning and realizing i couldn't stand to listen to half the shows i used to really like. To this day the sound of most 80's sidekick mascot characters, or adults voicing kids is like nails on a chalkboard.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

CelticPredator posted:

Lmao no way there’s an episode called the grundle

you're right, it's actually the grundel

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I always felt bad about stuff like that as a kid, I felt like i outgrew some things i really enjoyed too fast, Particularly kids show voice acting. I remember one day sitting down to watch cartoons one sunday morning and realizing i couldn't stand to listen to half the shows i used to really like. To this day the sound of most 80's sidekick mascot characters, or adults voicing kids is like nails on a chalkboard.

He-Man's VA was the first "something's not right here" experience for me, but it wasn't consistent.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I never liked Panthro or Tygra's voices in Thundercats even when I was watching as a kid. Tygra in particular was really bad

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WaywardWoodwose posted:

To this day the sound of most 80's sidekick mascot characters

So, Frank Welker, then. :v:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

If the later episodes were as good as the earlier episodes, I think the debate between Music and Coulier would be simply down to choice, but unfortunately for Dave, most of his time as Peter was as the show went downhill for unrelated reasons.

Yea, I think the Music/Coulier dividing line is just a convenient reference point that really has nothing to do with Coulier. The timing just happened to work out that way where the show got bad right around the time he took over.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Timby posted:

So, Frank Welker, then. :v:

Except Welker played Ray in this one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oberndorf posted:

Except Welker played Ray in this one.

And Slimer, and the bogeyman, and almost every ghoul and animal.

So he was everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnF5gpn8k5Y

Edit: holy poo poo, he ALSO voiced Garfield and does a fantastic Lorenzo Music impression. Whoa.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 16, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And Slimer, and the bogeyman, and almost every ghoul and animal.

So he was everywhere.

Welker used to hold the record for performing in top box office movies until Samuel L. Jackson because he did animal voices. Like Frank explained it, you can train a dog to bark but you can't train one to bark mad.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Frank Welker was the flying dagger from The Shadow.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Frank Welker was the flying dagger from The Shadow.

And the big demon in The Golden Child.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
oh man you guys, I did it, I finished installing a blue power cell light into my proton pack to replace the cheap sticker it had in that spot instead

it looks so good. it animates properly and everything! and it's powered by a red switch I installed near there, like the red switch they put there in Ghostbusters Afterlife

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Nice. Lights on a prop look like that do so much to sell realism by catching the eye.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Thanks! I kinda want to do something with the neutrona wand next, but I'm not really sure how I'm going to open it up. I already have cannibalized the LEDs and sound chip from the Frozen Empire toy proton blaster, I kinda want to put it into my wand. I guess I can just start cutting it open like I did the pack...

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There's a YouTube channel I like that did a video on repainting a proton pack that might be worth checking out.

https://youtu.be/xnYYqBu-Wkg?si=W3_88n8xIOoKKa2A

Here's another one about "dry brushing," a technique used to make plastic look more like metal that might help too.
https://youtu.be/B9QhOABTGoM?si=kweXeiJHlALcdKwY

(I'd recommend gunmetal paint rather than silver though.)

deoju fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 19, 2024

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

The_Doctor posted:

I vaguely remember just not caring, but Slimer feeling rejected and sad made me sad. I've said it before, but kids love emergency services, sanitation workers and love/hate ghosts. And they LIVE in a firestation. Even if it's not intentional, Ghostbusters has a lot to make it catnip for 4-year-olds, without a goofy poochie.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

deoju posted:

There's a YouTube channel I like that did a video on repainting a proton pack that might be worth checking out.

https://youtu.be/xnYYqBu-Wkg?si=W3_88n8xIOoKKa2A

Here's another one about "dry brushing," a technique used to make plastic look more like metal that might help too.
https://youtu.be/B9QhOABTGoM?si=kweXeiJHlALcdKwY

(I'd recommend gunmetal paint rather than silver though.)

Interesting suggestion to use graphite powder to make plastic more like metal! Though I do have a bottle of metallic finish satin black paint, maybe I could use a little bit of that.

I'm also familiar with dry brushing metallic paints, but mostly onto wargaming miniatures kind of stuff, haven't really done it for prop/costume purposes much.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj1uCs1LYLs

I knew what this was before I clicked on it, assuming it wasn't a joke (and it's not).

Baffles me how it wasn't like that originally.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj1uCs1LYLs

I knew what this was before I clicked on it, assuming it wasn't a joke (and it's not).

Baffles me how it wasn't like that originally.

This was my gripe too. How did you NOT do that? Look how great it works!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

This was my gripe too. How did you NOT do that? Look how great it works!

Same with afterlife!

I don't need the song in the montage, that's fine, whatever. But to start and end the films, it feels necessary and right.

We're all watching a blockbuster film, centered around a franchise of for-hire ghost investigators and eliminators. The theme song is a catchy commercial jingle at this point, and it feels like it was always destined to go hand in hand.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Same with afterlife!

I don't need the song in the montage, that's fine, whatever. But to start and end the films, it feels necessary and right.

We're all watching a blockbuster film, centered around a franchise of for-hire ghost investigators and eliminators. The theme song is a catchy commercial jingle at this point, and it feels like it was always destined to go hand in hand.

Also, the song existing in universe is still weird to me, probably because it positions the Ghostbusters as superheroes and not janitors.

I'm 3.10 minutes into the 1984 film right now, and already "Venkman go to hell" and "Square?" "Good guess, but wrong" are funnier and convey more character than all of the latest 2 films.

Edit: "Circle?" <shows a picture of a square> "close!" is a comedic masterclass already, what a loving shame what was done to this property.

I think it becomes quite a shaggy film (and is charming enough that that's okay), but there's such an ECONOMY to everything in it early on, just a masterclass.

Edit 2: it's weird how literally people take Peter's "franchise rights" and "Back off, I'm a scientist" lines from someone who is clearly a grifter just kicking the can down the road.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 25, 2024

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I got this on clearance at Walmart for :10bux:

https://a.co/d/iZzNLDD

It is WAY better than I thought it would be. It’s got more sounds than the Haslab pack and wand (it even includes all 4 firing modes the Spengler wand has). It’s a very tactile experience like the Spengler wand because you press one button to turn it on and select your firing mode, then you extend the barrel (and cocking it one-handed like a shotgun to extend the barrel makes me feel like an enormous badass), then you hold down a different button to charge it (and it’s possible to overcharge it), and then you pull a trigger to fire. It’s got overheating and venting sounds, sounds of you zapping different ghosts, different colored lights all over the place, I genuinely feel like I ripped somebody off by getting this thing for $10. I’d have paid full retail without hesitation if I knew what it could do. I am seriously impressed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh drat, I’ve been waiting for a price drop on those! Good job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

be a lot of fun to customize but I would not want that thing vanilla tbh